Thinking about switching.....again...and other hopes.

Mandofred

Visit site
Switched to a club a lot closer to where I live 2 years ago....problem is, during the winter it closes a LOT with the wet. During the summer, because it's popular, a lot of days get blocked out with business days, big visiting parties, Opens of various type, etc etc....at times you can't play on the course a couple times a week. I switched because it's only a 7-8 min drive....which is nice. The other course I'm a member at is 25 min away. That's nothing for some people, but a drag for me....but I think I'm going that way next year. It's open a LOT more during the winter and only the occasional blocked out days during the summer.

Over the last couple of years I have heard various rumors that could change the course's around Harrogate. I never played Flaxby, but from what I've heard it was the best course in the area for year-round playing. They built it on rubble, so it drains better than all the clay courses around here. That's my hope in the next year or so.....if the rumors are true, the McDonalds hotel group is interested in buying it, getting the course going again, and putting some hotel/bungalows etc around it. It would be a great place to reopen with it being about 10 feet off the A1 (well, kind of). I keep hoping that Oakdale would sell their mud pit for housing (it's in the middle of Harrogate....zillions of ££ for that) and buy Flaxby. Last I heard, Oakdale was trying to sell 2.5ac on the edge of the course for 1 mil....depending on planning permission. Selling the whole course? 130 acres...... The local pay and play at Spofforth has been sold, to Rudding Golf/hotel. If the rumors are right....put housing on half and maybe keep a 9 holer.....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting times if Flaxby comes back into the game. Smashing course, only ever lacking a genuine clubhouse. If someone gets it going again I hope they keep to the original design and layout.

Interesting decision for you next season. I love Oakdale, I'm playing in one of those annoying Opens there next year 🤭, but I understand the issues.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Finding the right course/club can be tricky
For some there's little choice.
When my 2nd club was on the verge of closing due to HS2 we looked around several local courses and settled on Whipsnade, next to the zoo.
It's 25 minutes away.
During Spring, Summer and Autumn it's a great track, nice layout, decent condition.
Come Winter and it turns into a mudbath, often 18 temps and very mucky trousers.
Got fed up with it.
Moved to Ellesborough which is on a chalk hill. Rarely closes due to rain and then only for a couple of hours
Fog and snow are the only things that close it.
We do have trolley bans from time to time but, mostly, it plays very much the same all year.
With the amount of time I spend there im glad it's 11 minutes away...would be a pain having nearly an hour's round trip most days of the week.

Finding the right place makes life much easier.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife once asked me why I was not going to move to a new course being built just 3 miles down the road.
One day I stopped driving at the top of a hill and pointed out all the lakes that could be seen from that point.

They were where they were going to build the new course. It flooded so much one year it made the national news.

Teebs

Visit site
Interesting news about Flaxby, my BIL used to be a member and I played it in Union matches plenty of times. From memory, they had a lovely short course there too?

Real shame with what happened to it, a real mess in the end.

In terms of distance to the club, I live in York and play a course 14 miles away but everyone is different in terms of whether it's worth it and the costs involved with travelling (both time and money).
I'd only really consider Strensall, but:

It's £400 per year more for subs
Only 18 holes
Practice facilities not up to par with where I am
Less friendly

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My wife once asked me why I was not going to move to a new course being built just 3 miles down the road.
One day I stopped driving at the top of a hill and pointed out all the lakes that could be seen from that point.

They were where they were going to build the new course. It flooded so much one year it made the national news.

Where was that?

Mandofred

Visit site
Interesting news about Flaxby, my BIL used to be a member and I played it in Union matches plenty of times. From memory, they had a lovely short course there too?

Real shame with what happened to it, a real mess in the end.

In terms of distance to the club, I live in York and play a course 14 miles away but everyone is different in terms of whether it's worth it and the costs involved with travelling (both time and money).
I'd only really consider Strensall, but:

It's £400 per year more for subs
Only 18 holes
Practice facilities not up to par with where I am
Less friendly
Like all rumors...I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard the Flaxby rumors for a couple of years now off and on. I'm a member at two courses (Ripon/Oakdale), neither have decent practice areas which is a bummer to me. At the moment, very tempted to dump Oakdale this next year since you can play at Ripon a lot more.

Teebs

Visit site
Like all rumors...I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard the Flaxby rumors for a couple of years now off and on. I'm a member at two courses (Ripon/Oakdale), neither have decent practice areas which is a bummer to me. At the moment, very tempted to dump Oakdale this next year since you can play at Ripon a lot more.

I'm over at Malton.