Handicapping rules April 2024

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
This is exactly what we do.

I am genuinely perplexed that some people find it all too difficult to work out.
Me too - find it perplexing what some people do.
I sort of stand apart and observe. And try to understand or explain why they do what they do.
Many have simply railed against the new system to such an extent that they justify to themselves that any way of making up their own handicaps is OK.
And they are "free to agree" amongst themselves.
But I didn't see much of this before WHS. There was far greater consensus about the way handicaps should be applied.

wjemather

Visit site
Me too - find it perplexing what some people do.
I sort of stand apart and observe. And try to understand or explain why they do what they do.
Many have simply railed against the new system to such an extent that they justify to themselves that any way of making up their own handicaps is OK.
And they are "free to agree" amongst themselves.
But I didn't see much of this before WHS. There was far greater consensus about the way handicaps should be applied.
Really? We had lots of rollup groups running their own handicap systems before WHS came in. Not any more.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
To be relevant to a discussion on handicapping, handicaps would need to be involved.
But then you gave your view on how simple casual golf can be, in response to one of my posts, and I pointed out that it can be even simpler than what you described.
Really should be no need for you to attempt to dismiss this as irrelevant.
You make your comments and I make mine.
It is a discussion.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Really? We had lots of rollup groups running their own handicap systems before WHS came in. Not any more.
Yep, my experience with roll-ups is the same.
They continue with the same level of "agreement" as before.
But, outside regular roll-ups, there are far more variations and different things occurring among players having games of golf with each other.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I could be being dumb, but this is a change isn't it?

We were led to believe you took your CH, then 90%, and then it was 100% of the difference. The vast majority of the time, the end result is the same....but there have been discrepencies
Yes it is.

Pre WHS we used to take 90% of the difference from the lowest guy in 4BBB.

Then the WHS came along and made us take 90% of our Course Handicap before calculating the difference from the lowest guy.

Shortly we will be going back to the old way of using 90% of the difference.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am really sorry to ask this question

1. I am aware that the whole number is calculated at the end but should just like confirmation that this is correct:

a. After doing the calculation including CR+-Par the figure is 24.614 which would give me a CH of 25, 95% 24. I am correct for singles to use 24.614*95% =23.408 =23.

If I was playing a General play round I would have 25 shots

Where I am confused is 4Ball Match Play. I use 24.614x90% =22.153 I.e 22. I know I take 90% from the lowest handicap and take it 22 it's my course handicap.

Thanks for any help

wjemather

Visit site
I am really sorry to ask this question

1. I am aware that the whole number is calculated at the end but should just like confirmation that this is correct:

a. After doing the calculation including CR+-Par the figure is 24.614 which would give me a CH of 25, 95% 24. I am correct for singles to use 24.614*95% =23.408 =23.

If I was playing a General play round I would have 25 shots

Where I am confused is 4Ball Match Play. I use 24.614x90% =22.153 I.e 22. I know I take 90% from the lowest handicap and take it 22 it's my course handicap.

Thanks for any help
For casual and General Play, you will simply use your (rounded, integer value) Course Handicap, as before.

For individual strokeplay competitions, the software will calculate 95% of the full unrounded value of your Course Handicap. There will never be any reason for you to calculate this yourself - touchscreens, apps, lookup charts, etc. will likely be available to advise you of your Playing Handicap for the competition when you sign in. However, you should always play with reference to your Course Handicap (for holing-out/picking-up) as this is what is used for handicapping to calculate Stableford/nett double-bogey adjustments.

Fourball match play will use rounded Course Handicaps (plus any mixed tee par adjustment) from which strokes received are calculated as 90% of the difference from the lowest.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For casual and General Play, you will simply use your (rounded, integer value) Course Handicap, as before.

For individual strokeplay competitions, the software will calculate 95% of the full unrounded value of your Course Handicap. There will never be any reason for you to calculate this yourself - touchscreens, apps, lookup charts, etc. will likely be available to advise you of your Playing Handicap for the competition when you sign in. However, you should always play with reference to your Course Handicap (for holing-out/picking-up) as this is what is used for handicapping to calculate Stableford/nett double-bogey adjustments.

Fourball match play will use rounded Course Handicaps (plus any mixed tee par adjustment) from which strokes received are calculated as 90% of the difference from the lowest.
Thank you. Sorry if I sound stupid but is my rounded Course Handicap
25?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did I read somewhere that for CASUAL golf the figures quoted on the new board for course handicaps are to be used for calculation of PH for singles 4BBB Matchplay etc?

If so where is it please?

wjemather

Visit site
Did I read somewhere that for CASUAL golf the figures quoted on the new board for course handicaps are to be used for calculation of PH for singles 4BBB Matchplay etc?

If so where is it please?
Casual golf is made simple by always just using the rounded Course Handicaps as displayed on the boards.

Match play allowances for individual and 4BBB (and foursomes) also use these rounded Course Handicaps to work out strokes received.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Having one set of rules for club comp individual strokeplay and another set of rules for casual golf individual strokeplay is the cause of much confusion among golfers.
This I have observed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having one set of rules for club comp individual strokeplay and another set of rules for casual golf individual strokeplay is the cause of much confusion among golfers.
This I have observed.
When did rounded/unrounded come into effect?

When is PH used in casual golf individual strokeplay?

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
When did rounded/unrounded come into effect?
\i was announced by EG in November that all CHs would be unrounded from 1st April 2024 - in England they are currently rounded.

They then announced in January that this would not be the case for 4BB matchplay only.

Then a few weeks later, by updating the Mixed Tee Calculator (without announcing it anywhere) they changed Foursomes Matchplay to rounded.

All other CHs are unrounded, including for some odd reason Greensomes Matchplay.

This will all come into effect on Monday.