Changes to WHS in April 2024

Genu9

Visit site
Found out through another thread that there are to be changes to WHS in April 2024. All i have been able to find via searches is a section on the R&A website which refers to the fact but give absolutley no indication of what they are. See here( R&A Reference ) (Nice legs but a bit sexist for the R&A)

I understand that one of the things to be implemented is the Handicap Calculation 'in full'. Up to now GB&I have only used (CH = HI x (Slope/113)) i.e a CH of 10.5 using slope 121 would be 10.5 x (121/113) = 11.24 (11 rounded).

GB&I omitted, or chose not to include, the CR- Par (course rating minus Par) portion. So the full equation should have been (CH = HI x (slope/113) - (CR - Par) ).

Using the full equation, a course rating of 67.9 and Par 70, it now becomes 10.5 x (121/113)-(67.9 - 70) or 10.5 x 1.07 - 2.1 = 9.135 (9 rounded). This means a loss of two strokes on what we have been using for the past 3 years. The course criteria I have used is from the Yellow Tee on my course, so everyone is going down two off the yellow tees, some will go down three due to the 0.1 on the end of the CR - Par.

Currently someone on 10.5 has a CH of 12 off White Tees and 11 of Yellow Tees. After April (if this is implemented) it will become 11 off White Tees and 9 off Yellow, a difference I think is quite correct. Roll on April 24.

D-S

Visit site
See this thread from March:-

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Found out through another thread that there are to be changes to WHS in April 2024. All i have been able to find via searches is a section on the R&A website which refers to the fact but give absolutley no indication of what they are. See here( R&A Reference ) (Nice legs but a bit sexist for the R&A)

I understand that one of the things to be implemented is the Handicap Calculation 'in full'. Up to now GB&I have only used (CH = HI x (Slope/113)) i.e a CH of 10.5 using slope 121 would be 10.5 x (121/113) = 11.24 (11 rounded).

GB&I omitted, or chose not to include, the CR- Par (course rating minus Par) portion. So the full equation should have been (CH = HI x (slope/113) - (CR - Par) ).

Using the full equation, a course rating of 67.9 and Par 70, it now becomes 10.5 x (121/113)-(67.9 - 70) or 10.5 x 1.07 - 2.1 = 9.135 (9 rounded). This means a loss of two strokes on what we have been using for the past 3 years. The course criteria I have used is from the Yellow Tee on my course, so everyone is going down two off the yellow tees, some will go down three due to the 0.1 on the end of the CR - Par.

Currently someone on 10.5 has a CH of 12 off White Tees and 11 of Yellow Tees. After April (if this is implemented) it will become 11 off White Tees and 9 off Yellow, a difference I think is quite correct. Roll on April 24.
I see you play at Nelson, my home town club, lovely course and yes good idea to include par in the calcs

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes, came across it in Turkey last year.... makes sense & is not a problem really.

wjemather

Visit site
Of course it only affects Playing Handicap (ie competition results) not Course Handicap or Handicap Index.
It's the Course Handicap calculation that is changing - so of course Course Handicap is affected.
Handicap Indexes are also affected, although not significantly or even noticeably, by differences in when nett double bogey adjustments come in.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
CH = HI x (slope/113) - (CR - Par)

Is this correct in post #1?

Or should it be

CH = HI x (slope/113) + (CR - Par)

And

10.5 x (121/113)-(67.9 - 70) or 10.5 x 1.07 - 2.1 = 9.135

does not look correct to me.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
CH = HI x (slope/113) - (CR - Par)

Is this correct in post #1?

Or should it be

CH = HI x (slope/113) + (CR - Par)

And

10.5 x (121/113)-(67.9 - 70) or 10.5 x 1.07 - 2.1 = 9.135

does not look correct to me.

You don't actually need the parentheses ch = hi x (slope / 113) + cr - par.

-(67.9 - 70) becomes +70 - 67.9 by the way.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Thought so.
But never entirely sure these days.

A - or a + in the correct or incorrect place might be one of those insignificant differences that I bludgeon people with unnecessarily.

Genu9

Visit site
You don't actually need the parentheses ch = hi x (slope / 113) + cr - par.

-(67.9 - 70) becomes +70 - 67.9 by the way.
Apologies. Of course it should be + CR-Par. In most instances the (CR-Par) becomes a minus result. I had it in my mind this had to come off the figure and put a negative. (and what do two negatives make?)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am sure the vast majority do not do the maths (myself included these days), they just look at the boards, computers or apps.

That is not going to change.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finally!!!! I been banging on this drum since it came into play

This is the formula the yanks use

About time

So my course ATM

Yellows 23
Whites 23
Blacks 25

Index is 23.6

Now with these proper changes to formula the difficulty of each tee is actually reflected

Yellows 21
Whites 23
Blacks 27

Last edited:

NearHull

Visit site
At the risk of coming over as quite stupid……..

If the changes to each player’s CH are being adjusted by the relative difficulty of the course being played, expressed as CR-Par, will that negate the need for adjustments for relative difficulties of the courses when playing competitions from mixed tees?

in my head it seems that the new method should equalise/negate the mixed tee adjustment , but I’m struggling to fully understand if it will.

wjemather

Visit site

If the changes to each player’s CH are being adjusted by the relative difficulty of the course being played, expressed as CR-Par, will that negate the need for adjustments for relative difficulties of the courses when playing competitions from mixed tees?

in my head it seems that the new method should equalise/negate the mixed tee adjustment , but I’m struggling to fully understand if it will.
In Stableford, there will no longer be any need for mixed tee adjustments.
However, in medal and match play, adjustments will still be required.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the changes to each player’s CH are being adjusted by the relative difficulty of the course being played, expressed as CR-Par,
Never understood the idea that par tells you anything more than CR re difficulty. I thought the (CR-Par) was to help with stableford scoring - 36 points et al.

Genu9

Visit site
This is a link to my Google Spreadsheet that I use to get handicaps for anywhere I play. Just enter Course Criteria relevant to the area where you are playing and then enter your HCI. As it resides on Google Drive, as long as I have a signal, Phone or WiFi, I can use it.

Handicap Lookup

Alan Clifford

Visit site

My understanding from the rules of handicapping from a different jurisdiction is that the only adjustment needed is when the pars differ. And then, not for all formats. See attached.

Attachments

• rule6.jpg
    rule6.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 21