Calculating shots in 4BBB Matchplay from 1st April 2024

Swango1980

Visit site
Perhaps the handicap system (and the managers of) are becoming far too reliant on "technology"? What about the players themselves managing their own scores? As someone said earlier, pretty soon I won't event have to go out and play, just sign in and the "system" will generate a score for me on that day!
On the Howdidido Forum today, I noticed one chap ask a question regarding pre-registration. I assume he was on Committee, as he indicated he had just been at an England Golf Workshop. At the workshop, EG said that too many players are not pre-registering their rounds. He checked at his club, and said this was happing there. He blamed the fact that it wasn't clear on the App what pre-registration was for, and so many members just didn't know it had to be done before teeing off. His solution was to request an improvement to the App, to make this clear to members.

I was a bit gobsmacked. What part of the "pre" do members not understand. And, have the club communicated to players what their responsibilities are and given good details about doing things like submitting GP scores?

So, there might be some truth in what you say. Are some clubs becoming so reliant on the tech, they are failing to do some of the basics like putting out general communication to members on how to use the tech in the first place, and why things need to be done in a certain way?

wjemather

Visit site
On the Howdidido Forum today, I noticed one chap ask a question regarding pre-registration. I assume he was on Committee, as he indicated he had just been at an England Golf Workshop. At the workshop, EG said that too many players are not pre-registering their rounds. He checked at his club, and said this was happing there. He blamed the fact that it wasn't clear on the App what pre-registration was for, and so many members just didn't know it had to be done before teeing off. His solution was to request an improvement to the App, to make this clear to members.

I was a bit gobsmacked. What part of the "pre" do members not understand. And, have the club communicated to players what their responsibilities are and given good details about doing things like submitting GP scores?

So, there might be some truth in what you say. Are some clubs becoming so reliant on the tech, they are failing to do some of the basics like putting out general communication to members on how to use the tech in the first place, and why things need to be done in a certain way?
I think you've slightly mis-understood what he's saying.
He's saying that there are some who are not aware that they have to pre-register if they want to submit a gp score, not that there are some who are submitting scores without pre-registering.
Sounds like he'll also be needing the hdid app to generate an alert when players arrive at the golf club, otherwise the people he's talking about won't be launching the app to read his requested message.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

When I'm submitting a GP score, I just launch the EG app and create a scorecard, surely this is pre-registering or are you saying that I should be going into the pro to tell them first?

Swango1980

Visit site
When I'm submitting a GP score, I just launch the EG app and create a scorecard, surely this is pre-registering or are you saying that I should be going into the pro to tell them first?
Not at all. When you create the scorecard on MyEG you are pre-registering at that time. Can't remember it word for word, but when you create a score, there is a message I think that indicates you are pre-registering for a score.

But, England Golf had indicated at the meeting that many golfers were not pre-registering before their round, and doing so after they played. Presumably, the person who brought this up, was specific to golfers using the howdidido App, rather than MyEG. We've heard stories in these forums, of golfers potentially pre-registering during or after their round, and then entering their score when the App allows them to (I think there is a 2 hour delay, between registering and being able to enter scores on howdidido)