Handicap allowance in 4BBB

chips7400

Visit site
When do you round to full shots in calculating the shots allowed against the lowest handicap? Where you take the 90% only matters if you round during the calculation. Let me give an example
There are 4 players with playing handicaps of 3, 8, 15 and 24
In method 1 we take 90% of each to get 2.7 ,7.2, 13.5 and 21.6
This rounds to 3,7,14 and 22
Shots allowed are 0,4,11 and 19
BUT if we do not round at the middle then the differences are
4.5, 10.8 and 18.9 rounded now to
0, 5, 11 and 19. This is not the Same result.
Furthermore. If rounding is left until the end then it does not matter where the 90% rule is applied. Take the example
3,8,15 and 24
Differences are 0 ,5 , 12 and 21
90% is 0 , 5 , 11 and 19
Applying the 90% earlier we get
2.7, 7.2, 13.5 and 21.6
Differences are 0, 4.5, 11 and 18.9
Rounded to 0. , 5, 11 and 19
The same result.
The difference only occurs when the rounding is moved. Can someone point me to a definitive statement on how it should be done.

D-S

Visit site
Now, the latest change, in 4BB matchplay and in Foursomes matchplay, Rounded Course Handicaps are used. These are the only cases when they are used, unrounded is used in all other formats. I can only find the simple written description of this here:-

EG - WHS resources - 2024 Update - Guidance on Rules of Handicapping - Page 46

There is a table there that I can't paste here but here is the wording below it

The full playing handicap is calculated (PH above) and then strokes received are calculated based from the lowest PH (Megan) and 90% of the differences (Strokes Received). So for Liam, the difference is 12 – 2 = 10, then 90% of that difference (i.e. 9)
In 4BBB format players score using the card and SI appropriate for the tee they are playing from.

On the top of the table it shows Player name, HI, Slope, CR, Par, CH, Rounded CH, Par Adjust, Playing Handicap, Strokes Received.

when they say Full they mean rounded but again this isn't made clear.

Oldbutwise

Visit site
Go here Page 46. Guidance on WHS Rules
There are worked examples. For your scenario you'll see the guidance is to take rounded course handicaps, then add any differences in PARs, then take 90% (or subtract 10%) of the differences from the lowest and round them. So in your scenario playing handicaps are 0, 5, 11 & 19. (90% is the final step.)

Remember this method is from 1st April. Current rules differ.

Last edited:

Genu9

Visit site
There is a post in The Lounge entitled 'Handicap Lookup Post 1st April 2024'. Put it on your Watch List.

The final version (V2024/1.7) will be posted on 17th March (Two weeks before the WHS changes come into effect). Only waiting to ensure their are no last minute changes that mean another update will need to be done.

In the mean time here is a link to V1.6 so you get an idea of what it gives you. The final version has quite a few enhancements included and will have full instructions included.

Handicap Lookup V2024/1.6