Matchplay handicap calculation

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have qualified for a county handicap knockout next week, in the first round I have been drawn against a player with a 6.5 index, I am 9.0, I though I would check in advance how many shots I would be getting. The slope is 131 so I expected at least 3 shots however when I worked the course handicaps, 6.5 converts to 7.53 so rounded to 8, whereas 9.0 converts to 10.43 rounded to 10.

So it appears I will only be getting 2 shots despite a 2.9 difference in exact course handicaps, interestingly if the slope was 130 or 132, I would be getting 3 shots.

It could be that the calculation could result in the opposite, where the lower handicap is rounded down and the high rounded up so an exact different could be 3.1 but the shots given is 4. Maybe there is a better way to calculate the number of shot given for example take the difference in indexes and then lookup that on the handicap table. so 2.5 would be 2.9 exact so rounded to 3.

Thoughts?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have qualified for a county handicap knockout next week, in the first round I have been drawn against a player with a 6.5 index, I am 9.0, I though I would check in advance how many shots I would be getting. The slope is 131 so I expected at least 3 shots however when I worked the course handicaps, 6.5 converts to 7.53 so rounded to 8, whereas 9.0 converts to 10.43 rounded to 10.

So it appears I will only be getting 2 shots despite a 2.9 difference in exact course handicaps, interestingly if the slope was 130 or 132, I would be getting 3 shots.

It could be that the calculation could result in the opposite, where the lower handicap is rounded down and the high rounded up so an exact different could be 3.1 but the shots given is 4. Maybe there is a better way to calculate the number of shot given for example take the difference in indexes and then lookup that on the handicap table. so 2.5 would be 2.9 exact so rounded to 3.

Thoughts?

With 2.5 difference in HIs it was always going to be either 2 or 3 - just bad luck.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just thought it may be fairer, |I tried to remember how it used to be and couldn't recall.
Handicaps
(1) Exact Handicap – A player’s Exact Handicap is his handicap to one decimal place, calculated in accordance with the provisions of the UHS.
(2) Playing Handicap - A player’s Playing Handicap is his Exact Handicap rounded to the nearest whole number (0.5 is rounded upwards).

It was of course the same for women ;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If the slope rating were 147,

(6.5 x 147)/113 = 8.46 rounded to 8 CH

(9.0 x 147)/113 = 11.71 rounded to 12 CH

Shots given would be 4.

Same two players, different courses, matchplay difference in handicaps 2, 3 or 4 shots.

A 2.5 difference in HI, but 3 different outcomes for shots given, depending on the slope rating.
I understand the arithmetic and how and why it works. It does "feel" odd, though.

wjemather

Visit site
The general inconsistency of scoring at all levels means that handicapping can never be accurate enough to worry about one stroke difference either way.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The OP asks for "thoughts".

One of mine is that for singles matchplay we could (a whimsical possibility) take the difference between unrounded course handicaps, then round to a whole number for shots given and received.

Alan Clifford

Visit site

Thoughts?
WHS rounding 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Sorry for laughing