Handicapping rules April 2024

YandaB

Visit site
Eta. I think I read in an EG communique that double rounded could impact 25% of players. I’m pretty sure there are some mathematical brains on here who could work out how many HIs between +5 and 54 would ‘hold’ two PH for 95% and 85% formats.
For the 5 rated tees that we have, we get:
at 95%: 23%, 23%, 25%, 23% 25% of all HI's from -4.9 to 54 have a difference between rounded and unrounded calculations
at 90%: 22%, 23%, 22%, 22%, 22%
at 85%: 22%, 21%, 21%, 21%, 23%

Had EG simply created the facility to have boards like below then we could have removed all of the confusion couldn't we?

1712142948864.png

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you mean 95%?

And, that technically only applies in competitions, where the Playing Handicap is already worked out for a player. Are their any clubs where competitions are run without using software, and Players have to calculate their own Playing Handicaps?
I did - fixed.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
So if you have easy access to the unrounded CH you must use it?

I wonder what constitutes "easy?" 🤣

Heck. My association have provided me with an App. What that says, goes.

There's only confusion if folk want to engage in the above conversation. I could get on excel and run some macros, but I don't feel the need.

I wonder if someone will get a dq for only using 5 places of decimal rather than 6?🤣

wjemather

Visit site
So if you have easy access to the unrounded CH you must use it?
No-one should be doing anything with an unrounded CH.

To add, there are very limited scenarios where the player is required to calculate their PH and the unrounded CH is used in that calculation as standard. Handicaps are a committee responsibility in stroke play comps, most match play formats use rounded CH, and casual/informal comps run by individuals or groups, or unaffiliated organisations, are not bound by WHS rules, or union guidance and mandates, so can do whatever they want. And there are perfectly good official handicap calculators that will advise the correct PH without any need for the player to see any unrounded numbers.

Last edited:

tobybarker

Visit site
But everyone should already have been advised (for the last 3½ years) not to do these calculations themselves and let the software take care of it.
Computers not always used for every situation.... You rock up at a new course with your mates.. Quick glance at a board..i get 13 great let's go.....

tobybarker

Visit site
For the 5 rated tees that we have, we get:
at 95%: 23%, 23%, 25%, 23% 25% of all HI's from -4.9 to 54 have a difference between rounded and unrounded calculations
at 90%: 22%, 23%, 22%, 22%, 22%
at 85%: 22%, 21%, 21%, 21%, 23%

Had EG simply created the facility to have boards like below then we could have removed all of the confusion couldn't we?

View attachment 52659
They have, except not all on one chart

wjemather

Visit site
This makes no mention of the 90 percent being applied after the differences were calculated... At least, i can't see it
It is covered in at least 4 of the documents on that page:
  • 2024 Rules of Handicapping, Appendix C (p. 102)
  • Guidance on the Rules of Handicapping, Appendix I (p. 46)
  • 2024 Updates
  • Members Update