Handicapping rules April 2024

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
mmm...we've just moved over to IG last week.

Although I have a singles match scheduled and the IG app shows me correctly having a CH of 9 for the match, when I enter the "calculator" in the handicap record of the App, it tells me my CH is 11 !!! (which it was before Cr-Par was implemented)....cant believe that the same App can give two different results in different parts of the app!!!
fixed...seemingly i didnt have the most up to date app version....though I still fail to see how one part of the App was programmed to calculate the CH correctly and another wasnt.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My thought, probably incorrect, was that the percentage drop was done at source under UHS, when 93% of the best Initial Handicap score was allocated, not 100%.
It was part of the initial handicap calculation (LAGD x 1.13/1.237) with the result truncated.
On an ongoing basis, it was effected by means of graduated reductions - 0.1 for cat 1, 0.2 for cat 2, etc., larger buffers for higher handicaps, and uniform 0.1 increases. Combined, these mechanisms generally kept low handicaps higher and high handicaps slightly lower; thus, effecting a 'bonus for excellence' - i.e. better players enjoyed a small advantage in handicap competitions.
Thanks both

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Because your CH is not 8, your CH is actually an unrounded number - without doing the maths I would suggest it is somewhere between just below 7.9 and 7.5 - rounded you have seen 8 but it isn’t rounded in the calc so 95% of it is 7.
This is exactly why having boards showing rounded 100% CH is a bad idea.
Ok…done the calc and my CH is 7.7858 and 95% of that is 7.39. And that rounds to 7.

Fine. And so without doing anything my singles comp handicap at my home course is now 7…excellent. Loving how easy it has been to get cut by a shot…🙄🤪😍

Question is then…what’s the point of me checking a board showing a rounded CH for my HI…I guess I would use it if I was having a casual friendly knock with a mate, but then again 100% of my exact CH is easy enough. Though the board would be useless if I wanted CHs for a four ball to calculate shots received, because I’d be using the wrong CHs to calculate differences against which to apply 90%. Oh whatever.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Question is then…what’s the point of me checking a board showing a rounded CH for my HI…I guess I would use it if I was having a casual friendly knock with a mate. Though the board would be useless if I wanted CHs for a four ball to calculate shots received, because I’d be using the wrong CHs to calculate differences against which to apply 90%.
Strokes received in four-ball match play are calculated using the rounded Course Handicap (e.g. from the boards): 90% of the difference from the lowest.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ok…done the calc and my CH is 7.7858 and 95% of that is 7.39. And that rounds to 7.

Fine. And so without doing anything my singles comp handicap at my home course is now 7…excellent. Loving how easy it has been to get cut by a shot🙄🤪😍

Question is then…what’s the point of me checking a board showing a rounded CH for my HI…I guess I would use it if I was having a casual friendly knock with a mate, but then again 100% of my exact CH is easy enough. Though the board would be useless if I wanted CHs for a four ball to calculate shots received, because I’d be using the wrong CHs to calculate differences against which to apply 90%. Oh whatever.

re bold
I guess it was banter but you know you havn't been cut until your Index changes/goes down. Even pre 1st Apr if you wanted to 'lose/gain' shots on CH just move forward/back a set of tees, but to do so wasn't a cut

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
re bold
I guess it was banter but you know you havn't been cut until your Index changes/goes down. Even pre 1st Apr if you wanted to 'lose/gain' shots on CH just move forward/back a set of tees, but to do so wasn't a cut
I know and it was. But back in the day pre-WHS I considered my handicap to be the number of shots I got against the course off the back tees of my own club (as I only put cards in from comps at my own club) and in a way I still do.

On Monday I got one less - and as you say if I play off our green tees (wherever they are 🤔) I’m a scratch player. 🤪

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I know and it was. But back in the day pre-WHS I considered my handicap to be the number of shots I got against the course off the back tees of my own club (as I only put cards in from comps at my own club) and in a way I still do.

On Monday I got one less - and as you say if I play off our green tees (wherever they are 🤔) I’m a scratch player. 🤪

Congrats, that what you should say when asked by non golfer (y)

I just checked our greens and I'm off 5 and its still 5,100yrds! (A Cat 1 player at last and no more pink castles for me ) :p

DickInShorts

Visit site
The boards are pretty much redundant now - most golfers in U.K. have an app which has a facility to look up your CH for any course from any set of tees.
If playing in competitions the software calculates it and golfers are no longer required to enter their handicap (any if the 3 variants) on their cards(if used)

NearHull

Visit site
The boards are pretty much redundant now - most golfers in U.K. have an app which has a facility to look up your CH for any course from any set of tees.
If playing in competitions the software calculates it and golfers are no longer required to enter their handicap (any if the 3 variants) on their cards(if used)
I cannot dispute your statement. However, at my course we recommend the use of machine precision PH for casual play and have 85%, 95% and 100% tables for each tee on view outside the Pro Shop. Would you use those tables or would you take your rounded CH and calculate your PH , with the possibility of coming up with a different PH due to double rounding?
I am genuinely interested in your view.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Did they send an email out saying,
"We recommend the use of "machine precision PH?"😉

I'm wondering how many would know what I is? I've only heard it on here. Exactly how many places of decimal are recommended?🤔🤫😉

If there's a table on the wall, most folk will use it without a thought. That's fine. How does it differ from the Calculator on iGolf or other such Apps?

How often does the possibility of double rounding make an impact. Why have they built the app with an error?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I'm wondering how many would know what I is? I've only heard it on here. Exactly how many places of decimal are recommended?🤔🤫😉

If there's a table on the wall, most folk will use it without a thought. That's fine. How does it differ from the Calculator on iGolf or other such Apps?

How often does the possibility of double rounding make an impact. Why have they built the app with an error?
If that table just shows rounded CH vs HI then many who use it will calculate their (95%) singles comp PH wrong. As I would have done. My Club has impressed on us that we should use the tables to which they have provided links or use the link in the IG app (we use IG for comps and handicaps). That said the club also impresses on us that all we need to record is our Gross for every hole.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I cannot dispute your statement. However, at my course we recommend the use of machine precision PH for casual play and have 85%, 95% and 100% tables for each tee on view outside the Pro Shop. Would you use those tables or would you take your rounded CH and calculate your PH , with the possibility of coming up with a different PH due to double rounding?
I am genuinely interested in your view.
Out of interest, why would a club recommend any sort of playing allowance for casual play? I'd have thought that, as long as members could get their Course Handicap, then whether they decide to play of the Course Handicap or apply a Playing Allowance is really up to them. If anything, the official line usually seems to be to just play off the Course Handicap for General Play, hence that is why MyEG only gives golfers this when they register for a round (and, ultimately, that is the only handicap that matters for a round being submitted for handicap)

Swango1980

Visit site

I think if many golfers heard that line, they'd assume it is a process that Adrian Newey undertakes at Red Bull Racing :)

Swango1980

Visit site
If that table just shows rounded CH vs HI then many who use it will calculate their (90%) singles comp PH wrong. As I would have done. My Club has impressed on us that we should use the tables to which they have provided links or use the link in the IG app (we use IG for comps and handicaps). That said the club also impresses on us that all we need to record is our Gross for every hole.
Do you mean 95%?

And, that technically only applies in competitions, where the Playing Handicap is already worked out for a player. Are their any clubs where competitions are run without using software, and Players have to calculate their own Playing Handicaps?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are their any clubs where competitions are run without using software, and Players have to calculate their own Playing Handicaps?
There should not be. I pretty sure you have to have it to be an affiliated club*. The question really is are there clubs that do not have the associated terminals for players to use?

* How else will scores be uploaded to the WHS platform.

NearHull

Visit site
Out of interest, why would a club recommend any sort of playing allowance for casual play? I'd have thought that, as long as members could get their Course Handicap, then whether they decide to play of the Course Handicap or apply a Playing Allowance is really up to them. If anything, the official line usually seems to be to just play off the Course Handicap for General Play, hence that is why MyEG only gives golfers this when they register for a round (and, ultimately, that is the only handicap that matters for a round being submitted for handicap)
We have many social groups who play informal competitions for £1/a cup of tea etc. Most of those members play in the many formal competitions. We wanted to eliminate any disputes/confusion caused by the EG two handicap system for those members who end up with two different PH for the same formats, be that individual or 4BBB strokeplay, between formal ( single rounding) and informal (double rounding).
We have explained this principle to our members and only have received support for the approach.

Eta. I think I read in an EG communique that double rounded could impact 25% of players. I’m pretty sure there are some mathematical brains on here who could work out how many HIs between +5 and 54 would ‘hold’ two PH for 95% and 85% formats.

wjemather

Visit site
There should not be. I pretty sure you have to have it to be an affiliated club*. The question really is are there clubs that do not have the associated terminals for players to use?

* How else will scores be uploaded to the WHS platform.
Yes, there are a small number of affiliated clubs that do not have competition software (one in my county of Somerset). There shouldn't be any in Scotland as SG will provide the software as part of their affiliation.

*Manually, or players may be advised to submit all scores through MyEG/WG app/GI app.

Last edited: