Changes to WHS in April 2024

wjemather

Visit site
So what would happen if for player A a score of 1 point is recorded and for player B a score of 3 points is recorded? - would (if the other criteria are met) the 1 point be replaced by the 3 points by the other player? (which I assume is what must happen under the only 1 score to be recorded system you describe in Australia)
Scores are based on the partner's score, not directly replaced by them. (I'm out and about at the moment so don't have the Australian manual to hand - will update later if no-one else does)

Reactions: D-S

D-S

Visit site
Scores are based on the partner's score, not directly replaced by them. (I'm out and about at the moment so don't have the Australian manual to hand - will update later if no-one else does)
Out if interest what is the difference between 'based on' and 'replaced by' in this context.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The software will need to be changed as, at the moment, on IG in team events you have to enter a score against every hole for every player, which is a bit of a pain.
There will indeed need to be many software changes in order for these changes to go live, however you do not currently need to record a score for every hole in IG. Recording zero for the holes where you have not completed the hole will result in an NR for that hole.

D-S

Visit site
There will indeed need to be many software changes in order for these changes to go live, however you do not currently need to record a score for every hole in IG. Recording zero for the holes where you have not completed the hole will result in an NR for that hole.
Perhaps I expressed it wrongly, I meant that you have to make an entry for each hole for each player. If just one score (or two in a team comp) can be recorded, as per apparently the Australian system, then it would be easier (for entry purposes) not to record anything in the boxes where a players score ‘doesn’t count’.

D-S

Visit site
They get 1.5 points if their partner scores 2 or more, 1 point if their partner scores 1, and 0 if both players score 0.
So if you get the 2 points, allowing your partner to go for and get a 3 pointer, you are only credited with 2 points?
If EG use this upscaling method ‘based on partner’s scores’ it’s going to take some explaining to the rank and file.

D-S

Visit site
I have yet to take a phone onto a golf course and no plans to start doing so.
It stays in the car, if I have one with me on the day.
If it ever becomes compulsory to carry a phone in order to play golf, then I'll find some other hobby.
You could always use the calculator on your phone, there by saving the battery life of your 1977 Casio Fx29.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Perhaps I expressed it wrongly, I meant that you have to make an entry for each hole for each player. If just one score (or two in a team comp) can be recorded, as per apparently the Australian system, then it would be easier (for entry purposes) not to record anything in the boxes where a players score ‘doesn’t count’.
Oh, I see what you are saying, but I'm not sure I agree. You would have to tap.through a hole where no score is made anyway, not sure I see how that is easier than recording zero. In any case we didn't yet know if we will be adopting the same system as Australia. Personally it makes little sense to me not to record scores made and have them replaced by some sort of estimate. I also think that MLS makes more sense that what we are getting, but still thankful something is being done to those that rack up wins in these events but only submit the bare minimum acceptable scores.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If it ever becomes compulsory to carry a phone in order to play golf, then I'll find some other hobby.
You could always calculate your handicap before leaving the car, rather than waste space in your bag by carrying an abacus🤣🤣

D-S

Visit site
Oh, I see what you are saying, but I'm not sure I agree. You would have to tap.through a hole where no score is made anyway, not sure I see how that is easier than recording zero. In any case we didn't yet know if we will be adopting the same system as Australia. Personally it makes little sense to me not to record scores made and have them replaced by some sort of estimate. I also think that MLS makes more sense that what we are getting, but still thankful something is being done to those that rack up wins in these events but only submit the bare minimum acceptable scores.
I agree that it is good to tackle this issue and I like the fact that this is a ‘reduction only’ system. The devil as always will be in the detail.
The aspect of MLS that is considerably worse than this is that it allows, used in its current form, significant manipulation upwards and downwards and creates as many bandits or sandbaggers as vanity handicaps.

YandaB

Visit site
I ran the 2020 and 2024 versions of the Rules of Hanidcapping though a differnce checker. Rule 2.1a iii has been removed!!! It should be on page 34 but it's not there, surely some mistake?

(iii) Registering Intent to Submit a Score in General Play.A player is required to pre-register their intent to submit an acceptable scorein general play for handicap purposes.Such pre-registration must be made:l Before the player starts the round, andl According to the requirements or conditions established by the HandicapCommittee and/or the Authorized Association.The Handicap Committeemay consider a player to have pre-registered theirintent to submit an acceptable score for handicap purposes when playing anauthorized format of play in a regular, organized event with other players.

Carte Blanche for anyone wishing to manipulate their handicap by only returning the scores that they want - this seems to me to be a funadmental ommission.

D-S

Visit site
I ran the 2020 and 2024 versions of the Rules of Hanidcapping though a differnce checker. Rule 2.1a iii has been removed!!! It should be on page 34 but it's not there, surely some mistake?

(iii) Registering Intent to Submit a Score in General Play.A player is required to pre-register their intent to submit an acceptable scorein general play for handicap purposes.Such pre-registration must be made:l Before the player starts the round, andl According to the requirements or conditions established by the HandicapCommittee and/or the Authorized Association.The Handicap Committeemay consider a player to have pre-registered theirintent to submit an acceptable score for handicap purposes when playing anauthorized format of play in a regular, organized event with other players.

Carte Blanche for anyone wishing to manipulate their handicap by only returning the scores that they want - this seems to me to be a funadmental ommission.
Is the 2024 version that you have a US or at least a non CONGU one? As pre registration is, I believe, not mandatory in all jurisdictions.

D

Deleted member 29109

I didn’t understand this attitude.

I presume you would be happy to use someone else’s phone out on the course if there was an emergency?

Why not put it in your bag and leave it there?

IanMcC

Visit site
Here is my tuppence worth on the 2024 changes, based on the Wales Golf overview of changes, and the updated Guidance on Handicapping:

• Change in the way Course Handicaps are calculated – An obvious improvement, and one which should have been included in the original WHS changeover. We run a lot of mixed gender/tee events at our club, and this will make it a little easier, I believe. Wales Golf used this section to state that the conversion boards at clubs will be next to useless. I think the change that makes the boards firewood is the non rounding of the Course Handicap, not CR-Par. They also state that apps are available to check your PH on the day. I think they are underestimating how many people rely on these boards at present, and who will be thoroughly confused and pissed off once they disappear.

• Method of scaling up nine-hole scores/hole not played – I don’t see anything wrong with the present method of scaling up rounds over 10 holes and less than 18. The ‘closed calculation’ after April to obtain a differential for 18 holes being a secret does not sit right with me, however. It smacks of the PCC calculation being a secret also. As for scaling up 9 hole rounds to an 18 hole differential, I don’t know if this will be an improvement or not. It doesn’t seem perfect at the moment, but it works. Quoting the updated Guidance:
  • ‘Overnight processing will determine the Mean Expected Score Differential for the 9 holes not played and this will be added to the 9 hole Score Differential to provide the scaled-up 18 hole Score Differential for handicap calculation purposes.’
  • This all looks a bit cloak and dagger as well. We run weekly 9 hole comps. How am I expected to explain to my members what their differential will be when the calculation is done by secret ‘overnight processing’? And what have the 9 holes not played got to do with the performance over the 9 holes played? At least now the calculation is based on playing the same 9 holes twice. On the whole, this all looks like a backwards step to me.

• Four-Ball scores acceptable for handicap purposes – Wales Golf quote that this is one of the changes that many clubs wanted to see. I don’t believe them. Anyone wanting this change in WHS, applied in this manner, must be mental. For a start, it only counts ‘good’ rounds. This in itself is against the underlying principle of WHS, which urged us to submit as many rounds as possible, and all pre registered rounds must be added to your record. Suddenly, if you have a crap round in a 4BBB comp, you can ignore it, but if you have a good one, it goes on your record. Furthermore, for the holes you didn’t score at in the round, the differential is derived by the performance of your partner! Looking at the guidance this can include half a point or 1.5 points at some holes. And that, again, is a secret calculation! Once people cotton on to this, they will want to hole out on the 18 holes, regardless of their partners score, and rounds will take much longer. Nothing good in this change at all for me.

• Playing Handicap Calculation – Not rounding the Course Handicap makes the calculations unwieldy, and makes the Calculations boards at the clubs absolutely useless. I notice the Guidance does not give an example of pairs matchplay. Allowances would be impossible to work out if each CH was to 7 decimal places. I suppose the fact that they state that unrounded Course Handicap is only used when the software does the calculations, not when its 4 guys scratching their heads on the first tee, would be their answer. So, its ok to not round it, except when its too hard! Laughable, and unnecessary.

• Annual Review Reporting – Cant see any change. The software does it all now anyway. Only downside is that it is yet another feature we are blind to the mechanics of.

• Minimum Length of Golf Course – not sure about this. It may lead to initial handicaps being false if gained on a very short course, or am I being too cynical here?

• Permitting competitions over a non-standard number of holes – this comes back to the scaling up issues mentioned earlier. We run a 9 hole comp every Friday. The front 9 is sloped and rated officially. Our layout brings us back to the clubhouse after 10 holes. I wouldn’t want to change this to a 10 hole comp, just to let the software fairies do their thing overnight to scale it up to an 18 hole event, when the back 9 is sloped and rated very differently.

• Standardisation of Par – I can see this having its benefits at some courses, but I don’t think ours is one of them. Gents play whites and yellows. Main comps are whites, seniors and winter (non qualifiers in winter at ours) comps are off yellows. There are 2 holes which are par 4s on whites, but par 5 on yellows. Yes, I know that differentials are derived from gross scores only, (apart from the CR-par element) but you would annoy all the seniors if these holes became par 4s, and all the single figure handicappers if they became par 5s.

• I posted this mainly to get a feel for the changes, so feedback appreciated where I may have got things drastically wrong.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I didn’t understand this attitude.

I presume you would be happy to use someone else’s phone out on the course if there was an emergency?

Why not put it in your bag and leave it there?
Because it is entirely my choice.
You may presume what you wish to presume.
I have played golf for 53 years without a phone in my bag.
I reserve the right to put one in my golf bag, when I choose to do so. This decision will be unaffected by other people's thoughts and opinions.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Use of the unrounded CH will only apply to situations where the PH calculations are performed by software, not the individual (even if they have a calculator).
I'll have to find a way of fitting my laptop into my golf bag.
The calculation being performed by the software will be the same calculation though.

D

Deleted member 29109

Because it is entirely my choice.
You may presume what you wish to presume.
I have played golf for 53 years without a phone in my bag.
I reserve the right to put one in my golf bag, when I choose to do so. This decision will be unaffected by other peoples' thoughts and opinions.
Fair enough.

YandaB

Visit site
Is the 2024 version that you have a US or at least a non CONGU one? As pre registration is, I believe, not mandatory in all jurisdictions.
I thought that there was just one WHS Rules of Handicapping and then regions removed the bits that they want to with "Guidance" documents. The Document is marked as World Handicapping System R&A USGA Rules of Hanidcapping Effective January 2024 (c) 2023 The United States Golf Association and R&A Rules Limited.