Changes to WHS in April 2024

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don’t know what other clubs say in their Competition Handbook…but mine is absolutely clear…that…basically top of page 1…(my italicised text is highlight in yellow in the handbook)

Handicaps & WHS

The club recommendation is that 20 scores per year are submitted for WHS calculation

Entry Criteria and Eligibility

Members must have a well-formed handicap record that provides up to date evidence of playing ability and equitability among competitors

We are perhaps fortunate in having a very diligent and attentive Golf Manager, supported by and supporting the Handicap and Competitions Secretaries.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Don’t know what other clubs say in their Competition Handbook…but mine is absolutely clear…that…basically top of page 1…(my italicised text is highlight in yellow in the handbook)

Handicaps & WHS

The club recommendation is that 20 scores per year are submitted for WHS calculation

Entry Criteria and Eligibility

Members must have a well-formed handicap record that provides up to date evidence of playing ability and equitability among competitors

We are perhaps fortunate in having a very diligent and attentive Golf Manager, supported by and supporting the Handicap and Competitions Secretaries.
Its a recommendation, but 0 scores is still valid. They can limit eligibility for competitions according to scores submitted, but I dont like the principle of that - clubs should be implementing the WHS as written, not adding their own modifications of it.

tobybarker

Visit site
This is a link to my Google Spreadsheet that I use to get handicaps for anywhere I play. Just enter Course Criteria relevant to the area where you are playing and then enter your HCI. As it resides on Google Drive, as long as I have a signal, Phone or WiFi, I can use it.

Handicap Lookup
Why not just look then up on the boards?

Oldbutwise

Visit site
England Golf have released the following changes to be implemented in April 2024 for GB&I.

Rules of Handicapping

• Introduction of Course Rating™ minus PAR (within GB&I)
  • Introduction of acceptable scores from fourball betterball formats (within GB&I)
  • Implementation of Expected Scoring
  • Using Un-rounded Course Handicap™ calculation where computer precision is used

Course Rating™

• Rating of courses of a minimum 1500 yards
  • Standardising Par

YandaB

Visit site
Did they define what they mean by “standardising par”? May or may not be the same thing but my club is keen to change the women’s pars to be the same as the men’s and it’s a total nonsense (IMO of course)
Yes:

What it is? Standardising Par will allow clubs to retain the same Par across all tee sets rated for the same gender.
How it works? Currently the guidance given to clubs for the allocation of Par centres around a set of yardage limits within which a hole should fall to be allocated a particular scorecard Par. (appendix F – Rules of Handicapping). Moving forward, clubs now have a choice to standardise (keep the same) the par for each tee set regardless of whether they move out of certain yardage brackets asindicated in appendix F of the Rules of Handicapping. Since the introduction of WHS, shorter and longer tees are now being rated for each gender. Currently a hole which plays as a Par 5 from the White and Yellow tees but falls short of the minimum length for that same Par from the Red tees (shown in AppendixF), is advised to be allocated a Par 4.With the change in Standardising par, the hole could remain a par 5 in line with all other tees sets for that gender. With the addition of CR-Par in the new course handicap calculation which will bring a players’ “play to handicap” score back to 36 points regardless of the Par, clubs will now be permitted to standardise their Pars if they wish to.
Benefits:
✓ Standardised Pars will allow clubs to simplify scorecards and avoid any confusion for players around different Pars, without having a different play to handicap score for all tee sets where there is a difference between CR and Par.
✓ It will be easier for Clubs to retain the same SI’s across all tee sets for the same gender as the Par will be the same for each.
✓ It will make Course Rating™ easier for Clubs and County rating teams in relation to the allocation of par.

Usefull for us for the men playing off our forward tees (can put them back to Par 5 and the same as all other courses). Makes no difference to either of our ladies tees.

Oldbutwise

Visit site
Did they define what they mean by “standardising par”? May or may not be the same thing but my club is keen to change the women’s pars to be the same as the men’s and it’s a total nonsense (IMO of course)
There's no detail in the email but there is a dedicated webinar on 11 Dec which should fill in the blanks. There will be a downloadable version of the 2024 handicapping rules manual available on the England Golf resources page "shortly"!

wjemather

Visit site
It means clubs will be allowed to have the same par across all tee sets rated for the same gender, regardless of whether one (or more) of those tees is outside the normal boundaries. For example, a 230 yard hole could be a par 3 for women if the other tees are less than 220 yards; the same 230 yard hole could be a par 4 for men if the other tees are more than 240 yards. It isn't about standardising pars across genders.

WGCRider

Visit site
It means clubs will be allowed to have the same par across all tee sets rated for the same gender, regardless of whether one (or more) of those tees is outside the normal boundaries. For example, a 230 yard hole could be a par 3 for women if the other tees are less than 220 yards; the same 230 yard hole could be a par 4 for men if the other tees are more than 240 yards. It isn't about standardising pars across genders.
A course I often play has a 500yd Par 5. A large stream crosses the fairway and beyond this it is uphill to the green. So your shots are generally 210yd + 200 yd + 90yd to reach the green. From the forward tee it's 430yds and (I've always assumed because of the distance) is a par 4 but you still have to play it as 140 + 200 + 90. To clear the water from the forward tee would require a 240yd carry - so beyond most.
Does this change mean that despite the short distance this hole could now be a par 5 even though it's 430yds?

D-S

Visit site
A course I often play has a 500yd Par 5. A large stream crosses the fairway and beyond this it is uphill to the green. So your shots are generally 210yd + 200 yd + 90yd to reach the green. From the forward tee it's 430yds and (I've always assumed because of the distance) is a par 4 but you still have to play it as 140 + 200 + 90. To clear the water from the forward tee would require a 240yd carry - so beyond most.
Does this change mean that despite the short distance this hole could now be a par 5 even though it's 430yds?
Yes

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes. I suspect, however, it'll be very rare a club will change the pars. For example, I'm not sure if a hole is a par 4 of yellows at 400 yards and a par 5 off whites at 550 yards, the club will now just make them the same par.

However, on rare holes like you mention, it probably gives clubs a bit more flexibility in setting the par. Certainly if specific obstacles make it play very different to most other holes of the same length.