Changes to WHS in April 2024

wjemather

Visit site
In OZ it is full difference in matchplay....big advantage to high handicappers.
The 0.93 multiplier that is baked into the Australian calculation means that low handicappers have a bigger statistical advantage in match play there than they do in the rest of the world (where full difference still affords them a small but insignificant advantage).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 0.93 multiplier that is baked into the Australian calculation means that low handicappers have a bigger statistical advantage in match play there than they do in the rest of the world (where full difference still affords them a small but insignificant advantage).
Could you explain how full difference affords anyone an advantage ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually get the impression you, personally, is pretty comfortable how the system works. So I'd be comfortable that you'll be OK once the 2024 changes occur.

There are a lot that are pretty unsure about how aspects of it works still, but they still play golf and don't appear overly stressed by it. And I'm sure this will continue next year. I certainly doubt the changes next year will be as big a shock as when WHS was implemented, and we got through that.

Believe it or not, even before WHS was implemented, loads didn't understand the old system. I was forever explaining SSS, CSS, handicap categories, buffer zones, etc. And I knew that, for a lot of people, that information would stick for long.

I guess some people just have an analytical brain, and want to understand everything. If they don't, I'm sure they understand plenty to get by. And some people have little interest, so it won't bother them much anyway.
Your correct.
For 95% they won’t be bothered.
But for the other 5% that do want to know telling them it’s a “ Black box secret” but you must obey to play in comps seems very odd imo.

WGCRider

Visit site
I've read the link to golf England but not this whole thread. Am I correct to say that the way your handicap index is calculated will remain unchanged and these changes should not have any impact on your index?

Swango1980

Visit site
Yep.
The April 2024 changes don't do much.
Score differentials are unchanged - how my handicap moves up and down is unchanged.
In competitions - all handicaps move up a bit or down a bit.
I'll be comfortable with that.

Social games will be a different matter - trying to find agreement with three others as to who gets how many shots in betterball matchplay.
I will suggest 90% of unrounded CH (using CR-Par). Lowest gives shots to others.
Then I will listen to 3 other ideas, none of which will be the same as mine. :rolleyes:

Moving from three-quarters to 90% of the difference caused quite a stir some years ago, there was resistance, but eventually everyone accepted the new "correct" way to do it.
We'll get there this time - may take a while.
If it is a social round of golf, and everyone are friends, I'm sure they'll cope with the struggle. Work out how many shots everyone gets between them, and then get on with it.

It is true, when there is change it will catch people out. Because unlike us, who are fully versed in what the changes are going to be well in advance, the vast majority of the golfers out there probably do not have the slightest clue. And once the changes are implemented, many will probably still not have a clue for some time to come. Once the 75% was changed to 90%, I bet there were many that still obliviously used 75% in their social golf and might not have known anything different until they finally play in an official comp. And even then, they might have just thought it was to do with the specific comp, and 75% was still applicable generally and use that socially thereafter. I bet many still apply 90% the difference from the lowest now, rather than taking full difference from everyones 90% CH in 4BBB matchplay.

Personally, I'd have liked the way the Australians did it, where the course handicap is effectively the playing handicap for most formats. Especially the most common format of singles strokeplay. True, there will be outrage at the suggestion, because mid handicappers will have a shot less to play with, very high handicappers may have 2 less, in singles match play. Although, I'm unaware of any chat that indicates things are kicking off in Oz because a 33 handicapper playing against a scratch golfer believes they should have 35 shots in the match rather than 33.

AussieKB

Visit site
What I have seen over the years here, the high handicappers win most times, low marker has to play his socks off and then he most probably will lose if high handicapper plays close to their handicap.

Swango1980

Visit site
In OZ it is full difference in matchplay....big advantage to high handicappers.
But your Playing Handicap (is it called Daily Handicap) already incorporates 93%, In the UK we don't. So, higher handicappers over here would have a relative advantage compered to Oz in singles match play, as they get 100% rather than 93%. Whereas in 4BBB we apply 90%. So if you still use 93% of your Daily Handicap, then high handicappers in 4BBB have a relative advantage in your region, although 3% possibly doesn't make a big difference in most cases.

Genu9

Visit site
A while ago I devised a lookup for the guys who are in our Roll-up so they can check their handidap on their phone using Google Sheets.
I've just updated it ready for 2024 changes. I think it falls in line with what is changing and gives both 'Rounded' (as now) and 'Unrounded' (as proposed) Playing Handicap and shows the difference. If you want your own copy just select 'make a copy' from the 'File' option. (You may need to sign up to Google if you aren't already).

Just remember this copy resides on my Google Drive and can be changed by anyone with the link.

Handicap Calculator

Last edited:

AussieKB

Visit site
But your Playing Handicap (is it called Daily Handicap) already incorporates 93%, In the UK we don't. So, higher handicappers over here would have a relative advantage compered to Oz in singles match play, as they get 100% rather than 93%. Whereas in 4BBB we apply 90%. So if you still use 93% of your Daily Handicap, then high handicappers in 4BBB have a relative advantage in your region, although 3% possibly doesn't make a big difference in most cases.
yes it is called Daily Handicap.....but remember peoples handicaps have been adjusted by 93 % for ages.

wjemather

Visit site
Could you explain how full difference affords anyone an advantage ?
Since it's near impossible for any system to result in an exact 50/50 ratio, there will is always a statistical advantage one way or another, however insignificant. WHS provides equity in individual match play at 100% because that advantage is statistically insignificant.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I find it simpler if I understand how it works.
Forever stumbling in the dark - I would find complicated.

I do think I need to know how it works.
But yes yes yes, I agree it is a simple system to use.
Surely things are simpler if you dont think about them at all - and the thinking has been done by others ?

While the CSS was an open algorithm, did anyone actually know it or care how it worked? I think one could have gone through hundreds of golf clubs in England without finding a single person who would have said they knew it.

The golf aurlthorities are quite reasonable in considering there is no need to explain it - half of those playing golf struggle to even understand how to take relief from red stakes !

wjemather

Visit site
What I have seen over the years here, the high handicappers win most times, low marker has to play his socks off and then he most probably will lose if high handicapper plays close to their handicap.
You're implying that a low handicapper "playing their socks off" doesn't play to their own handicap because they "probably will lose" to a higher handicapper not playing to theirs. Are you sure about that?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Surely things are simpler if you dont think about them at all - and the thinking has been done by others ?

While the CSS was an open algorithm, did anyone actually know it or care how it worked? I think one could have gone through hundreds of golf clubs in England without finding a single person who would have said they knew it.

The golf aurlthorities are quite reasonable in considering there is no need to explain it - half of those playing golf struggle to even understand how to take relief from red stakes !
I confess - I really do struggle with not thinking - just can't get the knack.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Boards have never been necessary. A couple of printed sheets of paper does the job just fine.
I took this on board and ran with it.
I've got plenty of time to do double checks on the machine precision before April. No one's perfect.
Copied just part of it for here

yellows 90%.jpg

It has "How to win friends and influence people" on the reverse side. ;)

The whole thing will be folded into my scorecard holder. :geek: