Car Recommendations

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have just been looking at those.... :)

Getting frustrated at how hard it is to see what boots are like from car manufacturer's websites. Might need to visit a few showrooms next weekend!
Easy...take your golf kit (all you normally take) and tell the sales-person if they fit in the boot without removing oparcel shelf or dropping seats they stand a chance, if they dont fit then forget it.
Worked for me. and I can tell you the (previous) Honda Civic, Hyundai Ioniq hybrid and of course the Mazda 3 all passed (hatchback)
Ford Focus, Infinity Q/QX30, Merc A class,Toyota Auris,Ssangyong Tivoli, Kia Ceed and Nero all failed.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wont go far wrong with a Kia Ceed, why have a 3 year warranty when you can have 7! Also have change out of your budget for some new sticks :p

I've just got back from a few days in Dorset in my Cee'd 1.6 diesel.
It was an 89bhp car until I got it remapped to 137bhp and it's just returned 63mpg.
The best I've had is 66.8mpg, much better than before the remap ................... and it takes my golf clubs without me having to remove my driver!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Visit the autotrader website and enter the make and model of the car you are interested in. Select a car from the list and scroll down to ''dimensions''. That will tell you the size of the boot.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...rice-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&page=3

Honda HR V boot 453 L

View attachment 25143

As it’s a Honda aswell the clubs will fit with a driver in. Tested with my titleist carry bag today.

The hidden compartment aswell very useful and the new Honda design is you can open it a bit with stuff on top. So it’s the family car we have the buggy thrown in the boot and all the stuff for it like rain cover.. umbrella etc is in that compartment. In golf terms you could keep shoes.. waterproofs or whatever down there to help maximise club space

In the back magic seats just wow. The seats have storage under them if you need. But also can fold up in air. So last night we had daughter in her car seat and folded the seat so dog laid on the floor with a nice space around him. Saved him jumping into the boot which we had filled with food shopping

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Octavia vRS here. Boot is huge, and fits a couple of sets with trolleys. It’s like they designed the boot with golf clubs in mind!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Octavia vRS here. Boot is huge, and fits a couple of sets with trolleys. It’s like they designed the boot with golf clubs in mind!
All cars should be designed to least fit a set of clubs with a driver in

I mean it’s not hard it’s lazy not to

Someone I play with now and again has a BMW X5 I was shocked to see him have to take his woods out to fit his clubs in

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
All cars should be designed to least fit a set of clubs with a driver in

I mean it’s not hard it’s lazy not to

Someone I play with now and again has a BMW X5 I was shocked to see him have to take his woods out to fit his clubs in

Lead design requirement for the X5 was it's capability to climb kerbstones to allow for pavement parking outside schools...

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to fence, to a high level. When chosing a new car I used to have to take 2 fencing bags to trial.
They are like mini coffins. They make golf bags look small.

My brother is a drummer, and when getting his first company car, he arranged to take his drums, and check they fitted in the car ok. So one Saturday off he goes to the dealership, the salesman helps him lug all the drums in/out of the car - when he gets back to the office on Monday, the dealership he arranged the visit with called to ask why he didn’t show up...... turn out he’d gone to the wrong dealership, and the poor guy who helped him wouldn’t get the sale! He felt bad and dropped him off some beers to apologise.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any Honda fulfils the first criteria Karen, even the Jazz; it's apparently a Honda design requirement :thup:

And no, that is not a recommendation for a Jazz as it fails miserably on point 3; it's 0 - 60 by next Tuesday. :rofl:

The new Jazz 1.5 sport has got all the oomph

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Peugeot. No thanks worst cars on the road, interior trim is cheap and nasty, build quality is crap and they spend more time in the garage than on the road. Only decent thing is the engine. Dreadful to drive too. I fight for the Focus with 130k on the clock to avoid the Peugeot cars at work. Still drives and handles so much better.

I'd agree with the Skoda shouts. Octavia or Superb will handle everything you can throw at it and you can get 3 sets plus three trolleys in the estate boot - comfortably.

My son just hired a 2008 for a week. He thought it dreadful.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned the BMW 330d or 335d Touring.

Boot is big enough for clubs and loads of other junk plus the 335d has a 0-62 sprint of 4.9 secs. Mine is still returning 42.2mpg.
330d is still north of 250BHP with torque for days, so quick and roomy.

The 3 Series touring boot is pants, you're lucky to get a set of clubs and a trolley in one without emptying your bag.

As for the oomf, the 335 diesel is a machine even without the sport mode.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a car nut, there are so many options and there are not really many bad cars any more. At 10k or over per year and if you travel some distances, there are many more good diesel cars than petrol, although the newer petrol turbos of the last couple of years or so are at least giving a good and sometimes even better option. 25k opens plenty of doors from the new/ nearly new, and even saving a chunk and looking in the 3-5yr old 10-20k opens up plenty more. I love fast cars so would be tempted to go a bit older for a bit quicker.

I think the best buys going are 3yr old high mileage ex lease cars. I bought a manual BMW 325d manual 2008 at 3yrs old and 95,000 miles - kept it 3yrs and traded it for 6.5k - brilliant car, especially after the 290bhp remap at DMS!

• Skoda Octavia - reliable, good engines (1.4 150bhp petrol really economical and punchy, VRS quicker and lose economy, 150bhp diesel also very good. I just specced up a 1.4 150bhp turbo on Cost2Coast Cars - SE-L spec and that is discounted to £16,876 with Metallic (26%/ £5,869 saving on list) that includes 3k deaer contribution to a finance price - I did this route with BMW to get the contribution and immediately paid it all off in the first month for no cost - assume you could do something similar
  • BMW 3 series. Would go for diesel here as petrol options not as good. 320 punchy, economical and plenty of them. Would not go new. Hundreds of 1-3yr olds in the 15-20k bracket. 330d and 335d are fantastic (and a lot better still when remapped) - these are also in the price range or a bit higher depending on age and spec - this sort of thing https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...v-fbmwsh-heated-seats-1-former-keeper/8789878.
  • French cars - most are shiite but starting to get a lot better - 3008 or 5008 are best bets
  • Honda Civic - like the look of the new one - had a lift in the 1 litre the other day and quite surprised how well it went - and very well built. The 1.5 turbo (180bhp) is a pokier option
  • BMW X3 - i was sorely tempted to buy an X3 335D last time - but don't do enough miles and the DPF will likely break - this one over budget but will b a fair few slightly older in the 20-25k range
https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...mw-x3-xdrive35d-m-sport-5dr-step-auto/8450975

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My son just hired a 2008 for a week. He thought it dreadful.

Interesting on the Peugeot 2008. Lease period on my Qashqai finishes next year and I could buy myself out of the scheme now (as within one year of end of contracted lease period). Was looking at reviews of the new Qashqai and found it being compared with the Peugeot 3008 - obs - as it is directly comparable. And in fact the 3008 got some good reviews - some putting it ahead of the Qashqai. Yes I know you mentioned the 2008 - but must go have another look at the 3008 reviews.

Last edited:

Gentabout

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ive got a E350 E-Class estate that has a cavernous boot area that easily takes my bats in their cart bag and electric trolley, everything is nicely hidden under the shelf and there is still plenty of space left for another bag. Performance is pretty special too for such a big car and on a run I get high 40's for economy.

Plus as an added bonus the boot height is just about perfect for sitting and changing in to your golf shoes in the car park ;)

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 3 Series touring boot is pants, you're lucky to get a set of clubs and a trolley in one without emptying your bag.

As for the oomf, the 335 diesel is a machine even without the sport mode.
I 2nd this. Got a E91 335d... it’s a pretend estate. Can only just fit a trolley (with 1 wheel removed) and a tour bag into the boot.
I would get a 5 series if I bought again. I also wouldnt recommend a BMW to someone that isn’t a petrol head.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I am mercedes through and through , and recently got a B class , had not really noticed them before i started looking , i was more familiar with the A class , which i think is too small and not attractive , but the B class is great , looks nice because it is a bit bigger it doesnt look so tall and boxey , good mpg , 40plus (diesel) . drives lovely , nice high driving position , plenty of room , both for storage and passengers , it ticks all the boxes for me , plus its got an AMG pack on it that adds to the appearance . I am not a fan of small cars , but this feels like a big car when i'm driving it .