Car Recommendations

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Peugeot 2008. Go for the 1.2 with 130PS and you get a 6 speed gearbox, superb performance and about 55/60 mpg along with "pseudo" 4WD (Gripcontrol) and in GT Line trim, enough bells and whistles to keep anyone happy.
Back seats fold completely flat to give you a massive amount of boot space and very comfortable seating.
Only bad point (in my view) is the silly handbrake design, but if you can live with that (and plenty do) then they are a great car and a GT line will fit well under your budget.
The Kia 7 year warranty is good, but take Kia's above average depreciation into account and you're paying for it along the way.
Better to buy a lesser depreciating car and pay extra for a few years additional warranty.......

Peugeot. No thanks worst cars on the road, interior trim is cheap and nasty, build quality is crap and they spend more time in the garage than on the road. Only decent thing is the engine. Dreadful to drive too. I fight for the Focus with 130k on the clock to avoid the Peugeot cars at work. Still drives and handles so much better.

I'd agree with the Skoda shouts. Octavia or Superb will handle everything you can throw at it and you can get 3 sets plus three trolleys in the estate boot - comfortably.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd back the few others who have mentioned the Mondeo. I've got the 2.0d hatchback and you could carry half the titanic in the boot. Did a golf holiday in May, two motocaddy's and two cart bags with all the paraphernalia fit in the boot easily.

Eats up the motorway and it's great round town.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have driven diesels for years, but my next car will be petrol. You just dont know where is going to ban diesels next.

I went the other way. Had a C43 AMG petrol and went to the 335d. Xdrive system is marginally better than 4matic and with the same 4.9 0-62 time and 640nM of torque, its a different beast. Will enjoy it until they take it off me.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmmm.... for all my lack of interest in cars I would like one that's good to drive.

I have to say, Pleasure from a drive is bottom of my list.

As long as nothing is hard to move or use then car passes that test.

I hate cars and hate driving but I spend 2 hour+ a day in on doing that.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another for the Superb estate, I searched for a long time to find a 3.6 V6 petrol. I do not care about car tax or fuel consumption but it makes me smile

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Have just been looking at those.... :)

Getting frustrated at how hard it is to see what boots are like from car manufacturer's websites. Might need to visit a few showrooms next weekend!

Visit the autotrader website and enter the make and model of the car you are interested in. Select a car from the list and scroll down to ''dimensions''. That will tell you the size of the boot.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...rice-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&page=3

Honda HR V boot 453 L

media (3).jpg

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Drivers not enough, take the whole bag. The length of driver in the bag is longer than driver alone. I take my bag, fully loaded, when I go car hunting. My wife goes to the other side of the showroom at that point but you have to do it 😁.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I used to fence, to a high level. When chosing a new car I used to have to take 2 fencing bags to trial.
They are like mini coffins. They make golf bags look small.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things I did when buying my last car was to take the clubs with me and check the fit in to the boot, hence the decision to go with an estate and not a hatchback.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Trouble is, in golf terms, litres is not enough info, it is how it is used.

After 40 years of driving cars and playing golf, I am aware of that, thats why I posted the picture of the boot that Karen couldn't find and a link to the cars dimensions which show the Honda boot is not only 100L bigger than Karens present car(see post 35) but also 200mm wider. (2019mm)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned the BMW 330d or 335d Touring.

Boot is big enough for clubs and loads of other junk plus the 335d has a 0-62 sprint of 4.9 secs. Mine is still returning 42.2mpg.
330d is still north of 250BHP with torque for days, so quick and roomy.

I have a 330d and it is a fantastic car.

On a long run it’s 50mpg, at the traffic light Grand Prix it’s faster than a 90s super car. Incredible bit of engineering for a soot chucker. Because it’s a 6 cylinder it doesn’t have that horrible diesel rattle either.

I suspect though that for most, in particular those that aren’t car enthusiasts, even the 320d delivers ample performance. The 330i is a good choice too. Both do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds. The 330i around 6 I think.

I’ve got the saloon, I can get everything in easily enough but have to take driver out of the bag if putting a trolley in too.