Speed Limiting Cars

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I imagine the newer ones are - mines 8 years old and uses some sort of camera or sensor where the rear view mirror is.

A combination of the two would probably be best as the GPS limiter may not pick up temporary speed limits around roadworks etc.
This is what mine have. For the most part they rely on mapped limits controlled by GPS but they also have an over-ride from the camera (for things like temporary speed limits or ones that have recently been changed). Although I don't have this linked to the limiter on either, I do see the limit signs changing in the HUD and can amend my speed accordingly.

Mandofred

Visit site
My little Ignis is less than a year old....might just keep it until it dies, by then maybe things will settle down and work right. Oh who am I kidding....health and safety folks are just sitting around inventing new rules to put in place to keep themselves busy.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Black boxes to be fitted to all new cars in Spain from 2030… Wonder if the dealers and the ITV(mot) centres will be obligated to review data at each visit?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just reading the heartbreaking story of Karlene Warner (30) and Zackary Blades (8 months) who were killed by a drunk driver travelling 140mph whilst taking photos of himself, his speedo and anything else he thought interesting. I know we'll get calls of 'nanny state' etc with the introduction of speed limiters on cars however there is absolutely no reason that a car should have the ability to travel at that speed. I get the argument that sometimes needing additional speed (over taking for example) is needed however surely limiting a car to 85mph (for example) would be plenty above the existing motorway limit.

In the EU their Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) comes into force this week and whilst we are outside of these new laws I assume that the car manufacturers aren't going to make a model without this just for our market? That said from what I've read the ISA might not be the golden bullet as some of the options that the ISA can work could be overridden by the driver. Would appear that the only system that would work is one whereby the car loses power once the speed hits an agreed limit.

I would add that I am not against fast cars, I've had many powerful cars over the years with my previous having been a 500bhp Audi S4 however I don't see a reason why the speed that these things can reach should be available to members of the general public who have little/no training in driving at speed. Plus, even if they do, the limit is 70mph so a car that can go 140mph+ just isn't required.

My car just done an update and now have speed limit warnings on. I have to either turn off each time or just leave it. I've left it with 5 mph leeway

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
HID is actually liking her limiters now she has got use to it

Considering it's the car we go out in as a family I can see it being more useful than not. The Alhambra I used to have a limit set at 75 to just remind me don't be ridiculous (edit to just clear I'm not saying people who speed are ridiculous, just that me going too fast with the kids in the car would be)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Considering it's the car we go out in as a family I can see it being more useful than not. The Alhambra I used to have a limit set at 75 to just remind me don't be ridiculous (edit to just clear I'm not saying people who speed are ridiculous, just that me going too fast with the kids in the car would be)
So are you saying that speeding is only ridiculous if there are children in the car?

Speed limits are a very blunt instrument. Which is more dangerous: 130 mph in a Ferrari on an empty motorway or tailgating at 69 mph in pouring rain?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So are you saying that speeding is only ridiculous if there are children in the car?

Speed limits are a very blunt instrument. Which is more dangerous: 130 mph in a Ferrari on an empty motorway or tailgating at 69 mph in pouring rain?

Lol oh Clive. No matter what I said someone would be offended.. I'm not saying that but congratulations for trying to twist it.

A lot of people rightly or wrongly travel at 80mph on motorways that's not for me to judge. That's between them and the police.

For all you know could be talking about the autobahn in German so never assume old chap.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My car just done an update and now have speed limit warnings on. I have to either turn off each time or just leave it. I've left it with 5 mph leeway
What form do the warnings come in?

Is it an audible alarm or maybe the speed indicator turning amber/red?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The speed limit sign will flash but the car won't go faster than the limit. HID tried to go above 70mph on an empty M40 to see what happened and the car simply refused to accelerate past the 70mph mark
That can be a bit dangerous at lower speeds if you need to get out of the way of something and there’s no power.

Unlikley but could happen.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That can be a bit dangerous at lower speeds if you need to get out of the way of something and there’s no power.

I guess. Hadn't thought of that so I'll feed that back to HID. When you put it like that it seems a good system in principal and clearly effective at maintaining the required speed but doesn't factor the randomness of driving and other drivers

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Used to happen a lot to me driving on busy motorways and dual carriageways....overtaking a long queue of traffic at around 70mph (my speed) and an emergency services vehicle arrives behind....you need to get out of its way fast....sometimes it is not possible to pull in so you have to up your speed to clear the traffic to allow you to pull in....a system that prevents you from doing that can be downright dangerous.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Used to happen a lot to me driving on busy motorways and dual carriageways....overtaking a long queue of traffic at around 70mph (my speed) and an emergency services vehicle arrives behind....you need to get out of its way fast....sometimes it is not possible to pull in so you have to up your speed to clear the traffic to allow you to pull in....a system that prevents you from doing that can be downright dangerous.
Can you override it while the car is in motion? I know it can be turned off before setting off

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Can you override it while the car is in motion? I know it can be turned off before setting off
Dont know...luckily my car doesn't have such a limiter....just a warning that my right foot is a bit heavy...but i know i wouldn't want to suddenly have to fiddle with a switch (or more likely in the future, a buried menu setting on a screen) when I've got an ambulance blue lighting up behind my arse.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not had any encounters with hard limiters on any of the cars I have been looking at recently. All of them have audio speed warnings set as default (apparently required by legislation nowadays) but not one would stop you accelerating unless you physically switched ON the hard limiter.

The wife's A45 is really annoying as it has that audible warning that you have to turn off every time you start the car up. I don't need an audio warning to tell me how fast I'm going, it has a big digital dash and a HUD that provides that info.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess. Hadn't thought of that so I'll feed that back to HID. When you put it like that it seems a good system in principal and clearly effective at maintaining the required speed but doesn't factor the randomness of driving and other drivers
That's what cruise control is for.
My Skoda has both a speed limiter and cruise control.
I briefly experimented with the speed limiter and have never used it since.