Speed Limiting Cars

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not had any encounters with hard limiters on any of the cars I have been looking at recently. All of them have audio speed warnings set as default (apparently required by legislation nowadays) but not one would stop you accelerating unless you physically switched ON the hard limiter.

The wife's A45 is really annoying as it has that audible warning that you have to turn off every time you start the car up. I don't need an audio warning to tell me how fast I'm going, it has a big digital dash and a HUD that provides that info.
Is that a typo? HID? ;)

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Voluntary euthanasia or assisted suicide is still not legal in most of the US,

and barbiturates,
which mixed with alcohol used to be an easy way out
aren't even available by prescription
as much safer medications that are just as effective [for intended use] have since been developed.

Thus, driving a car directly into a bridge abutment at 140 MPH is still an effective suicide method
in a nation that keeps making it harder and harder to do it any other way than, of course, with firearms.
That's why firearms are the default mode of suicide in the US.

Not good, though.
You can just miss and put yourself on life support as a brain-dead patient instead.
It's a strain on your family.

140 MPH into a bridge abutment is pretty much a sure thing, no?
We'll always need fast cars.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

and barbiturates,
as much safer medications that are just as effective [for intended use] have since been developed.

Thus, driving a car directly into a bridge abutment at 140 MPH is still an effective suicide method
in a nation that keeps making it harder and harder to do it any other way than, of course, with firearms.

Not good, though.
You can just miss and put yourself on life support as a brain-dead patient instead.

WTF!!!

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

and barbiturates,

Not good, though.

Umm - 😳

I can hope you had a few sherbets

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The way I read it was...
Guns are a good way to commit suicide but you might miss. Even better is a fast car as they are the best way to commit suicide so car manufacturers have to keep making fast cars. 🤷‍♂️
But 140mph isn’t required.. you will probably find anything in excess of 70mph is pretty efficient.
The high speed of cars is driven by marketing bragging rights and the Germans are wholly responsible with their autobahn limits .. bring these back down and then we don’t have this speed.
The speed also drives in weight into braking systems and other safety structures.
So briefly to conclude the Germans are environmental terrorists 🤭🤭

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having seen the effects of suicide attempts (strangulation, drowning, overdoses etc) that don't work and the mess it leaves for the person and their families, it is a harrowing situation all round. Sad that people can still get to that dark spot and there isn't the right assistance out there all of the time

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
How can a thread about a family getting killed by a speeding drunk driver turn into the best way to commit suicide?
Things, including forum threads, don't always turn out as we expect.

Getting rid of the cars that kill people by accident
also gets rid of the cars that can kill people on purpose,
so if you consider the latter important,
you have to think twice!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That can be a bit dangerous at lower speeds if you need to get out of the way of something and there’s no power.

Unlikley but could happen.
When I have my limiter on, if you push the pedal all the way down it overrides the limiter and you can speed up. Or, you just apply the brakes and stop is probably the preferred answer if this scenario came up in a test.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I have my limiter on, if you push the pedal all the way down it overrides the limiter and you can speed up. Or, you just apply the brakes and stop is probably the preferred answer if this scenario came up in a test.
If there’s an emergency vehicle behind you on a narrow road you can’t just stop.

Pretty sure you would fail if you did that and held them up.!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Things, including forum threads, don't always turn out as we expect.

Getting rid of the cars that kill people by accident
also gets rid of the cars that can kill people on purpose,
so if you consider the latter important,
you have to think twice!
Cars don’t kill people.
People driving them kill people same with guns.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
And firearms??
I have no problem with private ownership of sporting arms, but I oppose private ownership of paramilitary arms.
Unfortunate, we have them as well.

Our Constitution, however, pretty much lets people own their own nuclear missiles if they can get them.
Owning weapons is an established Constitutional right of any American citizen.
That's beyond stupid, I would certainly agree, but it cannot and likely will not be changed.

Amending our Constitution requires a far greater level of consensus that will ever be reached again in our bitterly divided population.
There will never again be a Constitutional amendment in America, so America will always be a shooting gallery.

The only way to change it now would be to literally disband the Republic.
We'd be a new nation before we could address the gun problem.

This is not my fault, by the way.
Descendants of Italians did not write our Constitution.
Former subjects of the British Monarchy wrote it.
No grounds to blame me.

I know it looks stupid to you, but I don't think you understand how unchangeable it is.
Only another revolution could accomplish it.

And to be honest, your Draconian proscription of even sporting arms seems like a restriction of basic freedom to me.
Different culture, that's all.
This world has different cultures, and the ones other than our respective own can seem outrageous.

Our biggest failure as a nation is not having an NHS like yours.
It's not our gun problem, although the latter is indeed pretty bad.

All I can promise you is that if I arrive at Heathrow on holiday, I will definitely not be armed.
Same as the last time.
You have my word.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If there’s an emergency vehicle behind you on a narrow road you can’t just stop.

Pretty sure you would fail if you did that and held them up.!
Well no, but you probably can’t do much more than 30 mph either on some of the narrow single track roads where I live.

D-S

Visit site
Is there a ‘need’ for any (non emergency service) car to do over 80 on any road? If not, shouldn’t all cars be limited to this?

For track days the organisers could have special one-off override codes.