Speed Limit sign

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Given that they have apparently put up a lot of the text "reminder" signs, I'm not sure that the "fill the accounts" bit is really a true consideration.?
I would imagine the reason they have put the 30mph limit in is because they have made the cycle lane much more high profile with partitioning to the cycle lane, it makes the road effectively narrower.
Actually, in the first few days since the posts went up, we've seen a few of them already knocked out.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Newer cars have road sign recognition where a camera will display what it sees on the dashboard.
Very handy for speed cameras and the like
???

Mine also uses mapped data as it will recognise many limit changes around here where the initial limit change sign is either in an overgrown hedge or been nicked.

It really does struggle with the digital flashy type ones like at schools and regularly "reads" the flashing digital 20 as 70 ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mine also uses mapped data as it will recognise many limit changes around here where the initial limit change sign is either in an overgrown hedge or been nicked.

It really does struggle with the digital flashy type ones like at schools and regularly "reads" the flashing digital 20 as 70 ?
Mine works quite well and if the signs not clear it displays a blank one. Not perfect but when I use it along with setting the speed limiter it is a good aid to prevent speeding.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Newer cars have road sign recognition where a camera will display what it sees on the dashboard.
???
When I use adaptive cruise control on mine on a dual carriageway that has some 60mph sections, after the 60 finishes and there is a 70 sign my car brakes and slows down to 70 km ph. Absolutely rubbish.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I use adaptive cruise control on mine on a dual carriageway that has some 60mph sections, after the 60 finishes and there is a 70 sign my car brakes and slows down to 70 km ph. Absolutely rubbish.

On mine (iDrive 7.0) I had to change the internal system setting from KPH and also odd ones in sport mode like KW back to HP and KPa back to PSI.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
To answer the OP, at the point where the limit changes from a 40 to a 30 there will be a conventional 30mph speed limit sign posted. There is then no requirement for regular repeater signs, such as those you would find in an area with a posted limit of 40mph.

By adding the written signs as depicted in the image in the OP, the local authority have actually exceeded what is required of them. They have, in effect, posted a form of repeater sign when not actually obliged to do so.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
???
That's fine - after all, it's only showing whats actually there. Which is different to, say, to the system in my car which is reliant on a database - which may or may not be out of date - or even just incorrect perhaps.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
???

Not when you set to speed limit by sign then it reads the side road (30) speed when your on a 50mph road lol

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finally, if there are street lights, then the speed is by default 30mph and no signs are required, as Greg and Nick have said.

A seconder to this.

The initial 30 MPH speed sign could be streets away and if there is no sign changing this then that is the speed limit.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
To answer the OP, at the point where the limit changes from a 40 to a 30 there will be a conventional 30mph speed limit sign posted. There is then no requirement for regular repeater signs, such as those you would find in an area with a posted limit of 40mph.

By adding the written signs as depicted in the image in the OP, the local authority have actually exceeded what is required of them. They have, in effect, posted a form of repeater sign when not actually obliged to do so.

Precisely (y). Its because they posted the text signs when they didn't need to, that I suggested "making money" wasn't likely to be a factor in things.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

A pal of mine who happens to have a tash ? went on a speed awareness course recently . He was informed that the technical term for these signs are called “ Gateway signs”. In essence your going from one speed limit to another and it is informing you of said speed limit change.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Precisely (y). Its because they posted the text signs when they didn't need to, that I suggested "making money" wasn't likely to be a factor in things.

I read a piece a couple of days ago. It was about the tolerances that different police forces have when considering drivers who have been clocked as speeding. The difference in “ accepted “ tolerances was truly head scratching.