Speed camera rant!!!!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 70mph speed limit was introduced for various reasons, many (many) years ago.
In the days it was introduced, most cars had drum brakes all round, had "iffy" handling and woeful performance. You needed a 2.0 car to hit 100mph so subsequently 70mph was about at the limit for "most" cars. We all know that cars don't perform very well when they are at, or close to, their limit.
Nowadays, a little 1.0 car is capable of maintaining 70mph all day long, maybe 90 if pushed. Engines are more reliable, brakes certainly are. ABS is now fitted as standard to all cars, even the cheapest car made. There have been massive inroads in vehicle safety with multi airbags, fortunes spent on strengthening cars and making them handle better.
I agree that 30mph speed limits (maybe even lower around schools etc) are important and should not be ignored.
But maintaining the 70mph speed limit on motorways today is absolutely ludicrous.

on top gear last night it said the 70mph on motorways was introduced after the ac cobra did 200 mph on it

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There shouldn't be one for a "Queue Ahead" at 1am on an empty motorway Bob...... You tell me if that's right?
I would expect to be slowed where there are people working or where people have been working.

I'm agreeing with you.
Just wondering how much it would all cost to monitor these areas more often.
I guess when money is short, they err on the safe side.....
Better to have the 'queue ahead sign' on for too long than not long enough.

M

MetalMickie

The 70mph speed limit was introduced for various reasons, many (many) years ago.
In the days it was introduced, most cars had drum brakes all round, had "iffy" handling and woeful performance. You needed a 2.0 car to hit 100mph so subsequently 70mph was about at the limit for "most" cars. We all know that cars don't perform very well when they are at, or close to, their limit.
Nowadays, a little 1.0 car is capable of maintaining 70mph all day long, maybe 90 if pushed. Engines are more reliable, brakes certainly are. ABS is now fitted as standard to all cars, even the cheapest car made. There have been massive inroads in vehicle safety with multi airbags, fortunes spent on strengthening cars and making them handle better.
I agree that 30mph speed limits (maybe even lower around schools etc) are important and should not be ignored.
But maintaining the 70mph speed limit on motorways today is absolutely ludicrous.

There were, also, a lot fewer vehicles on the road so considerably less danger of tailgating and its related dangers. Plenty of cars less than 2 litre were capable of exceeding the 70 limit when introduced.
Also can't quite understand the relevance of referring to ABS as most people mistakenly believe it will stop their vehicle quicker whereas the opposite is often the case.
It will, however, enable the driver to continue steering whilst braking heavily.
Let's be honest; if the limit is increased to 80 (the speed that many of us currently drive at on motorways) most will then start driving at 90 and so on.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Let's be honest; if the limit is increased to 80 (the speed that many of us currently drive at on motorways) most will then start driving at 90 and so on.

It doesn't matter if they increase it to 80mph on the M25 as you'll likely never get much above 20mph in the day time :mad:

M

MetalMickie

It doesn't matter if they increase it to 80mph on the M25 as you'll likely never get much above 20mph in the day time :mad:

Sounds very similar to the M42. Variable speed limits often displayed as 40 or 50 and I'm sat there saying "I wish!".

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
There shouldn't be one for a "Queue Ahead" at 1am on an empty motorway Bob...... You tell me if that's right?.

I do agree with you James , firstly let me add i dont agree with speeding , i have 2 penalty points on my licence , i saw the van , looked at my speedo doing 92k in a 100k zone , happy days .. WRONG!!!! its an 80 you clutz , done & accepted ...

Some people seem to have gotten sidetracked from the origional post tho , this is not a speeding or anti speeding post it was about the apropriteness [sp] of SPECIAL reduced limits , that are still in place when the reason they were implimented is no longer there ..

Guards over here are big on fog/driving lights over here & will pull you for driving with fogs on when there is no fog , will they accept there was fog 3 miles back & there could be fog 3 miles ahead so i will leave the light on .. no they wont ..

there is a restricted school limit not far from me which is 50k (30mph) and reduces at morning & evening to flashing warning limit of 30k (18m) i know personaly of people who have been done doing 75km in this limit at 3am in the morning (national secondary road with limit of 80k).. wheres the sence in that ?.. oh dont get me wrong , i know its posted up & i know its the law, but the reason for the limit is the safety of the school children & teachers & parents droppin the children off , how is this relevant at 3am? but its just an end of month money trap & target solver ..

Personaly i would always slow down , but i do see the point you were trying to make in your OP

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There were, also, a lot fewer vehicles on the road so considerably less danger of tailgating and its related dangers. Plenty of cars less than 2 litre were capable of exceeding the 70 limit when introduced.
Also can't quite understand the relevance of referring to ABS as most people mistakenly believe it will stop their vehicle quicker whereas the opposite is often the case.
It will, however, enable the driver to continue steering whilst braking heavily.

I dont know your age Mickie but i was around in the mid 60's and the cars wern't MOT'd and most had defective tyres and were often driven by people who had had a drink, wipers were really poor as were car lights. There were very little speed controls as the police didn't have speed guns, cameras or the like. There were less motorways or dual carriageways and much less lighting on roads. Cars just broke down when water got into the distributor cap and plugs and brakes were nowhere as efficient as nowadays.

People still tailgated, speeded and were driven by idiots.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
James was worried that a professional driver in a lorry would rear end him and probably lose his job.
Get over, just looking for excuses.

This is a picture of the slip road I had to come down at 30mph with a lorry on my jacksie....

I'm guessing this is one of those 'professional drivers' you're referring to?

m1-lorry-crash-15-feb-2011-1297765975.jpg

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont know your age Mickie but i was around in the mid 60's and the cars wern't MOT'd and most had defective tyres and were often driven by people who had had a drink, wipers were really poor as were car lights. There were very little speed controls as the police didn't have speed guns, cameras or the like. There were less motorways or dual carriageways and much less lighting on roads. Cars just broke down when water got into the distributor cap and plugs and brakes were nowhere as efficient as nowadays.

Cars couldnt go as fast tho Chris & also they were made of metal , not plastic & carbon fibre . in the drive for speed & fuel effiency they made cars from lighter material and added airbags etc to make them "safer" also the whole world wasnt in such a hurry back then , everyone is rushing now ,

Be under no illusion Speed may not kill per say but it sure as heck increases the chance of death.
& dont blame the car or cars , blame the idiot behind the wheel ..

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Some people seem to have gotten sidetracked from the origional post tho , this is not a speeding or anti speeding post it was about the apropriteness [sp] of SPECIAL reduced limits , that are still in place when the reason they were implimented is no longer there ..

Indeed. It has crossed my mind to put my hazards on in future when abiding by any speed limits, or put a sign on the back of my car saying "Stay back - I WILL be following the speed limit" although I doubt someone smashing into the back of my car on the motorway will have time to read it!!! :mad:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Guards over here are big on fog/driving lights over here & will pull you for driving with fogs on when there is no fog , will they accept there was fog 3 miles back & there could be fog 3 miles ahead so i will leave the light on .. no they wont ..

this part even in this country I never understand, surely its better to be seen more clearly as opposed to less clearly? fog lights low down dont blind or distract, you def notice the other car but why is that a bad thing?:confused:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Cars couldnt go as fast tho Chris & also they were made of metal , not plastic & carbon fibre . in the drive for speed & fuel effiency they made cars from lighter material and added airbags etc to make them "safer" also the whole world wasnt in such a hurry back then , everyone is rushing now ,

Be under no illusion Speed may not kill per say but it sure as heck increases the chance of death.
& dont blame the car or cars , blame the idiot behind the wheel ..

But then no one wore seat belts. I had a 1500cc Cortina in the very early 1970's that had a top speed that wouldn't be shabby today, although the acceleration wasnt special. I am not sure that the world where I lived was not in a hurry, I remember the 60's as an era where everything changed every day!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Just read a thread on Pepipoo.... can't help but feel for some people.....

I was travelling on the M80 Westbound at 50mph (Speed Limit), I joined the M8 at J14 and began to increase speed to 70mph as I assumed (incorrectly) that the limit had increased to the national limit on joining the new motorway. I had increased speed to 63mph when I noticed a sign saying 50mph, at this time I reduced to 50mph using my cruise control remained at 50mph. It was at this point I noticed a police vehicle behind me and didn't think anything of it, they followed me (continuing at 50mph cruise control) until I was stopped between J18 and J19.

I have been given a Notice of Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty (3 points and £60) for 'Driving at 64MPH on a 50MPH speed limit M8 Westbound J14-J15'

Now, I know I did wrong and the ticket is correct but I was wondering how I would stand if I provide mitigation considering that I made the correction on seeing the limit sign. The officers who charged me did agree with me when I was in the back of their car that I had reduced to 50mph for a considerable time and i was not driving dangerously or recklessly. I believe I had only momentarily inadvertently gone beyond the speed limit but made the necessary correction upon realising my mistake.

I very much doubt you will be able to mitigate the fine to below £60. The points are obligatory unless there exist special reasons not to endorse and your mitigation doesn't even come close.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
"Stay back - I WILL be following the speed limit" although I doubt someone smashing into the back of my car on the motorway will have time to read it!!! :mad:

I am probably more cautious than most, I generally drive between 26 and 29 in a 30. I ALWAYS have a huge queue backing up behind me, even when doing just under 30. The same goes for 40, 50 and NSL zones when on single carriage roads.

I need one of those signs I think!

M

MetalMickie

I too was around in the mid 60's although on a motor-bike rather than in a car. Your recollection is different to mine if you are making sweeping generalisations about tyre condition and brakes. Also speed guns were in use and tailgating was rarely seen as it was generally unnecessary.
One of the greatest dangers these days is the cocoon effect with drivers sat snugly in their "hermetically sealed" boxes believing they are indestructible. Last night the King Clown,otherwise known as J Clarkson, felt it necessary to explain the difference between understeer associated with front wheel drive vehicles & oversteer commonly experienced with rear wheel drive.
I don't think that would have been necessary 40 or 50 years ago when most came to car driving with at least some experience of two wheels.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just read a thread on Pepipoo.... can't help but feel for some people.....
the same happened to me when coming off the M80 [which had roadworks and a 40 limit ] onto the M73 with no roadworks . I was stopped by the cops who i knew were behind me, then done me for driving at 60 they informed me that the 40 limit was still inforce up till i passed the first 70 mph sign a mile or so futher on . My first speeding offence since 1973. Guilty guv.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing this is one of those 'professional drivers' you're referring to?

Yeah. They are all brilliant.
Coming down the M25 one day, wife and two kids in the back of the car, Liddy was in a baby seat then it was that long ago. Caught in heavy traffic round by Heathrow, all doing about 40-45mph bloke driving an artic was literally 3 or 4 inches from my back bumper. I tried to get him to pull back a bit but he wasn't having any of. He must have been able to see the kids in the back of the car, but he just stayed there for about 3 miles or more until I could get into another lane to get away from him. Total professional he was. God knows what would have happened to the kids if I'd had to slam my anchors on, because there is no way he was stopping.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got done at 6am on a Saturday morning on the M62 a few years ago. Pretty much exactly the same as the original post here. Ended up flashing me at 58 in a 50. I was the only car on a three laned motorway with no workforce or cones, just one sign on the side of thr road.

Got away with £80 and the speed awareness course rather than the points but still took the michael! Especially for a poor student!