Vehicle reversing noises at 4.30 am !

4LEX

Visit site
I can’t help but feel there’s a little snobby nimby going on here with some of the comments. The vehicle has a safety sounder to protect those nearby when it’s manouvering, which is most probably because we have become a blame culture society for anything. If the guy is engaging reverse and leaving it in reverse for god knows how long, then fair enough something needs to be said. But if it’s just a a normal manoeuvre to allow him to go to work then it’s unfortunate but you have to get used to it.
You would probably get more thought about it if you actually spoke to him in a normal friendly way, but making complaints above his head won’t make him think about his neighbours in a nice way.
For context, I grew up living opposite an ambulance depot with a fire station 100 yds down the road as well. You got used to the sirens at any time of day and they never bothered you.
I appreciate sound travels further at that time of day, which is why when I reverse off my drive at 4:50 every morning I try to be as quick and with as slow an engine speed as much as possible.

Noise pollution is one of the worst things, especially when it impacts sleep. Unless you've experienced it you really don't know how unbearable it can be or how irrational it can make you.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Noise pollution is one of the worst things, especially when it impacts sleep. Unless you've experienced it you really don't know how unbearable it can be or how irrational it can make you.

Yes but this isn't controllable noise pollution, if he had a stupid exhaust or was bibbing his horn then yes. However this will be unavoidable

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go on the attack. Lorry that size must have parking lights on if parked in the street at night. If he doesn't, report to the police. Are there any restrictions on parking lorries in your road? Might be. Worth trying to find out.
It's a 3 ton flat bed van, it won't need parking lights on at night.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thankfully for you, I have. Apart from the ambulance station and firestation within a good wedge from my front bedroom growing up, I also lived in a ground floor flat that was opposite a tipper truck haulliers base, so diesel engines being started up and left ticking over for about 20 mins was an everyday occurance at 5:30 every morning, along with the exhaust fumes.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about the new trend of cars (seems to be mercs in the main) that sounds the horn when locked or unlocked. Now their blooming annoying

4LEX

Visit site
Thankfully for you, I have. Apart from the ambulance station and firestation within a good wedge from my front bedroom growing up, I also lived in a ground floor flat that was opposite a tipper truck haulliers base, so diesel engines being started up and left ticking over for about 20 mins was an everyday occurance at 5:30 every morning, along with the exhaust fumes.

There's a difference between a new problem that develops from nowhere and the two situations you've described, where you knew about the noise levels before you moved!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Yes but this isn't controllable noise pollution, if he had a stupid exhaust or was bibbing his horn then yes. However this will be unavoidable

Waking me and other neighbours up is avoidable, he just needs to accept he can't park right outside his house and instead simply park 50 yards away after first turning when he returns home, then he can simply drive away without waking anyone up.
All it needs is some consideration on his part - it should not have to come to us contacting environmental health and considering contacting his employers - how ignorant can one person be to not see that making a loud reversing noise twice in a quiet residential street at 4.40 in the morning is going to pee people off!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Waking me and other neighbours up is avoidable, he just needs to accept he can't park right outside his house and instead simply park 50 yards away after first turning when he returns home, then he can simply drive away without waking anyone up.
All it needs is some consideration on his part - it should not have to come to us contacting environmental health and considering contacting his employers - how ignorant can one person be to not see that making a loud reversing noise twice in a quiet residential street at 4.40 in the morning is going to pee people off!

If he parks 50 yards up the road does that just move the problem to someone else?

I doubt environmental health will do bugger all about it

It can't be turned off so they can't make him, they can't stop him parking there

It's only going to make things worse

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he parks 50 yards up the road does that just move the problem to someone else?

I doubt environmental health will do bugger all about it

It can't be turned off so they can't make him, they can't stop him parking there

It's only going to make things worse
I assumed he meant there's a space he wouldn't have to reverse out of, hence just drive off directly with no noise.

Agree though, I doubt he's breaking any laws so they won't be able to enforce anything.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I assumed he meant there's a space he wouldn't have to reverse out of, hence just drive off directly with no noise.

Agree though, I doubt he's breaking any laws so they won't be able to enforce anything.

If this was someone with a ridiculous exhaust, or someone who's car made some little jingle when it started (that could be turned off) I'd be fully agreeing to complain and something could be done .. he could be made to bring the exhaust down to acceptable levels

However this is a safety thing , it's not going to be outside the levels of acceptable noise

What we deem acceptable is very different to what the law says aswell

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There has already been anti-social behaviour from the group who live in the property including a police raid and a car towed away for no tax -- I'd rather not confront.
He knows he could park a little bit away from the properties, he's just inconsiderate and I'm likely to get a mouth full of abuse or worse.
Given that, then I would just accumulate the evidence and report him anonymously. If you approached him, he would probably rev the engine up loudly as well.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given that, then I would just accumulate the evidence and report him anonymously. If you approached him, he would probably rev the engine up loudly as well.

My colleague reported her neighbours anonymously for their dog constantly barking (she showed me a video it is loud)

The neighbour just now trims his trees and lets the branches go in her garden and let off a confetti cannon in the garden for a gender reveal and her garden got covered yet his was bearly touched

She wish she never said anything as anything she does now (say put the branches back over) as she now's it's just gonna get worse

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If this was someone with a ridiculous exhaust, or someone who's car made some little jingle when it started (that could be turned off) I'd be fully agreeing to complain and something could be done .. he could be made to bring the exhaust down to acceptable levels

However this is a safety thing , it's not going to be outside the levels of acceptable noise

What we deem acceptable is very different to what the law says aswell

Law during quiet hours (11pm to 7am) limits noise to 34dBA.

Back up warning systems are generally 70-110dBA (adjustable as well as muting available on most).

So I agree, what we think and what the law thinks are different.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Law during quiet hours (11pm to 7am) limits noise to 34dBA.

Back up warning systems are generally 70-110dBA (adjustable as well as muting available on most).

So I agree, what we think and what the law thinks are different.

If it's adjustable and able to be turned off then it's no question

It all depends on environment agency coming round to check tho ... I mean if they come round at 0440 and the level is below 34 (unlikely I know) they won't do anything

C7usk

Visit site
View attachment 54308

I live in a dead end residential city centre road with no off road parking and my neighbour leaves for work at 4.30 am driving one of these vehicles, it has a loud reversing warning sound which goes off every morning as he leaves for work as he attempts to get out of his parking spot on to the road, this wakes up me and the adjacent neighbours.

Is he breaking any rules by doing this?

Is this something I could report to environmental health.

He's not the sort of guy who can be approached!
Hopefully you can get it sorted.. I would give the traffic management company a call ( withhold your number). Explain the situation and they should speak to the guy.. These reversing beepers are not manufacture fitted. They often have a double clutch to silence them or a switch. I used to work on the roads and used to take one of these home.. One of them never had the silencer.. I used to use masking tape over the speaker so as not to annoy my neighbours.. I get the feeling this person maybe not as considerate though... Good luck. 👍

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really feel for you, preventable noise at unsociable hours is really hard to take and has a huge impact on home life. Sounds like the type of guy who might relish a confrontation and enjoy knowing he is getting under folks skin…I really hope it sorts itself out, but I know how you feel and it’s not nice