Speed camera rant!!!!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am more than happy to apologies to any girls I may have insulted in the writing of this thread when i implied Justone was acting like a girl and complaining about getting caught speeding, because lets face facts he was caught speeding.

As for changing someones made up internet name to another made up name that was an honest mistake the first time, the letter i and o are right next to each other on my keyboard and my sausage fingers must have hit the wrong key, the second time I done it on purpose because I thought it was funny...and I still do. Remember it's only a username

Anyway I have made my points in regards this thread and my views for zero tolerance for speeding have not changed.

Safe driving to all.

Of course you can disagree with people, that's what these types of forums are for, but do you have to be rude too?

Slime.
[/QUOTE]

you would make a great teacher if you lost the beard:whistle:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am more than happy to apologies to any girls I may have insulted in the writing of this thread when i implied Justone was acting like a girl and complaining about getting caught speeding, because lets face facts he was caught speeding.

As for changing someones made up internet name to another made up name that was an honest mistake the first time, the letter i and o are right next to each other on my keyboard and my sausage fingers must have hit the wrong key, the second time I done it on purpose because I thought it was funny...and I still do. Remember it's only a username

Anyway I have made my points in regards this thread and my views for zero tolerance for speeding have not changed.

Safe driving to all.

So he became Justine by accident, and there's me thinking it was deliberate, sorry Farteyman :whistle:.

Slime.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is it any different to your ageism and views on Ping clubs and who uses them?

Think about it?

I have stated on here loads of times that ping make decent clubs. But, my dad plays ping, has done for 30 odd years. Old mans clubs? They are my old mans clubs. Fact. They just are.

A bit different to name calling.

Killpathetic? Oops? Spell check isn't what it used to be. Happy now?

T

thecraw

I have stated on here loads of times that ping make decent clubs. But, my dad plays ping, has done for 30 odd years. Old mans clubs? They are my old mans clubs. Fact. They just are.

A bit different to name calling.

Killpathetic? Oops? Spell check isn't what it used to be. Happy now?

What is to be happy with or unhappy with. Just pointing out your not whiter than white but feel the need to stick your oar in. I think I can hear you back peddling from here.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Well said Fanneyman
;);)

Oooops! See what I done there. Bloody geyboard
:mad:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So - can you explain again those new ball flight laws?

Well it's easier than some of the sanctimonious postings to get my head around. We have all broken the speed limit and got angry when caught and I don't see why James should be less angry than I was the last time I got done (1978)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I missed that thread Chris. Could you point me in the right direction as the search facility doesn't throw anything up
;)

It was in the paper - I accidently got foot happy and went past the chappie walking in front with the red flag!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Can't be arsed to read through all the posts. But my uncalled for opinion is that speed limits in urban areas near schools for example should be possibly reduced and heavily policed with cameras everywhere. I feel just about everyone would agree with that, and that would also make camera's a lot more accepted by the general public so they can see they are genuinely there to reduce speeds in dangerous areas. Unfortunately now most opinion is that they are revenue generating. One simple example I see is a speed camera in Birmingham which is quite well hidden in a 30 limit, but in in an area where there are hardly any pedestrians, no junctions or anything that I can see as being a problem. Then half a mile further up the road also in the same 30 limit there is a school with lots of pedestrians, but no camera. Surely you put the camera outside the school to reduce speeds where it matters?

And we also take a more grown up approach to speeds on motorways, especially when they are not heavily trafficked. Other countries have schemes where the speed limits change depend on the weather (France) or even have minimum speed limits (US).

And finally I'd ban all drivers over 70 from driving, but that's just my irrational prejudice as I am sick of seeing most old drivers treat all bends in the road, no mater how slight, as if they are covered in land mines.;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The 70mph speed limit was introduced for various reasons, many (many) years ago.
In the days it was introduced, most cars had drum brakes all round, had "iffy" handling and woeful performance. You needed a 2.0 car to hit 100mph so subsequently 70mph was about at the limit for "most" cars. We all know that cars don't perform very well when they are at, or close to, their limit.
Nowadays, a little 1.0 car is capable of maintaining 70mph all day long, maybe 90 if pushed. Engines are more reliable, brakes certainly are. ABS is now fitted as standard to all cars, even the cheapest car made. There have been massive inroads in vehicle safety with multi airbags, fortunes spent on strengthening cars and making them handle better.
I agree that 30mph speed limits (maybe even lower around schools etc) are important and should not be ignored.
But maintaining the 70mph speed limit on motorways today is absolutely ludicrous.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have no problem having a 70mph limit, would be happy with a 50mph limit provided it's enforced, the same for everyone so that when I'm trickling my way down the M1 at 50mph I don't get Mr Audi passing me at 90mph, flashing his lights as he approaches... at ANY time of the day. Because no speed is actually ENFORCED we tend to drive to the road, so that means we go faster when it's clear.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The 70mph speed limit was introduced for various reasons, many (many) years ago.
In the days it was introduced, most cars had drum brakes all round, had "iffy" handling and woeful performance. You needed a 2.0 car to hit 100mph so subsequently 70mph was about at the limit for "most" cars. We all know that cars don't perform very well when they are at, or close to, their limit.
Nowadays, a little 1.0 car is capable of maintaining 70mph all day long, maybe 90 if pushed. Engines are more reliable, brakes certainly are. ABS is now fitted as standard to all cars, even the cheapest car made. There have been massive inroads in vehicle safety with multi airbags, fortunes spent on strengthening cars and making them handle better.
I agree that 30mph speed limits (maybe even lower around schools etc) are important and should not be ignored.
But maintaining the 70mph speed limit on motorways today is absolutely ludicrous.

Agree Smiffy, I also agree that the limits near schools should be lower ,BUT only between 8 and 9 AM and 3 to 4 PM , maybe lunchtimes if it is a secondary school and the older kids are allowed out. Having a 20mph limit outside a school at 10am is utterly pointless in my view

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The police normally allow 79mph then do you (so I'm led to believe). Even so if your speedo shoes 83 and you get done then you can't blame anyone but yourself.

I'm not blaming anyone, the speed limit is 70mph so you can get done by the police at 71mph, the speed cameras however are calibrated at 79mph to allow for dodgy speedos (not the swimming kind!) I was going too fast.

My post was out of frustration pertaining to just how ridiculous some of the limits are, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT ON A MOTORWAY, 40mph isn't clever when there's no cameras and people are going past you at 80mph. 10% of accidents are caused thru tiredness, it only takes one person slow to react that they are closing on you a bit fast to cause a crash.

When slowing to 30mph for a slip road it was only that I was aware that the lorry behind me was never going to slow down that avoided me potentially being killed.... on a road with only two vehicles on it at the time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm surprised Health and Safety let us drive at all.

So James, what you're saying is the guys who type those messages that appear on the signs on the motorways should monitor the situations more frequently and change them accordingly?
So if the fog has lifted, lift the speed restriction, or if the road workers have gone home for the night, lift the restriction? etc

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So James, what you're saying is the guys who type those messages that appear on the signs on the motorways should monitor the situations more frequently and change them accordingly?

There shouldn't be one for a "Queue Ahead" at 1am on an empty motorway Bob...... You tell me if that's right?

I would expect to be slowed where there are people working or where people have been working.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised Health and Safety let us drive at all.

So if the fog has lifted, lift the speed restriction, or if the road workers have gone home for the night, lift the restriction? etc

I'd go with that.

Got done for doing 90 K/h in a 50 temporary , 10 at night, dual carriage way no other traffic and had passed line marking team 2 k back . Had .5 of a K to go when he pulled me up. $400 fine and 6 demerits ( allowed 12 in 2 years ) Did the crime and paid the time, well fine actually.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's what he's being saying from the beginning Bob.

Everybody gets hung up on speed but there is such as thing as driving too slowly in my book. For example a long stretch of dual carriageway with a 40mph limit, you are driving so slowly on a road that is clearly capable of a higher limit that you start to lose concentration and mistakes can creep in. Also, the slower the speed limits get, the more time you spend looking at your speedo to ensure you aren't pounced on by a camera or mobile van, and you spend less time looking at the road.

Another point is the over reliance on cameras, the problem there is they only detect speed, not dangerous driving. You can drive through a camera a few mph over and get zapped, and somebody else could go through on the under the limit whilst smoking, eating, changing a cd and with a phone clamped to his ear, who presents the greater risk to himself and other road users?