Speed limit changes?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless something has changed she shouldn't have because the speeds should either have been that low before it was changed that it wouldn't need enforcement or they should have built in sufficient engineering measures to keep the speeds down and thus again shouldn't need enforcement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/63975/circular-01-2013.pdf

Paragraph 85.

4x4's seem to find it too easy to ignore most measures engineered to keep speeds down...

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless something has changed she shouldn't have because the speeds should either have been that low before it was changed that it wouldn't need enforcement or they should have built in sufficient engineering measures to keep the speeds down and thus again shouldn't need enforcement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/63975/circular-01-2013.pdf

Paragraph 85.

Makes sense, however in the area she saw it there is no traffic calming, speed trap was just behind van in image below.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6505476,1.3210687,3a,75y,53.48h,73.34t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ser5whGzZaYwL0aGTwX5dpA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Der5whGzZaYwL0aGTwX5dpA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D199.47667%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

In fairness this area has lots of pedestrians and two schools nearby with speed humps on road so that area is calmed.

I would also suggest that people drive too fast here. But I drive here at 20 and end up with someone tailgating.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Makes sense, however in the area she saw it there is no traffic calming, speed trap was just behind van in image below.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6505476,1.3210687,3a,75y,53.48h,73.34t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ser5whGzZaYwL0aGTwX5dpA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Der5whGzZaYwL0aGTwX5dpA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D199.47667%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

In fairness this area has lots of pedestrians and two schools nearby with speed humps on road so that area is calmed.

I would also suggest that people drive too fast here. But I drive here at 20 and end up with someone tailgating.

The department in Norwich setting these speed limits just seem to be putting up 20 signs, I would assume to calm rat runs etc.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You're falling into the trap that most fall into regarding the "National Limit"
Just because you are allowed to do 60 it doesn't mean that you automatically should.
The National Limit allows to find a safe speed for the road you're driving on, up to and including the limit.
That may be 20 or even less on single track lanes with passing places, it could mean 60 on a straight piece of decent road...

I get that Imurg, but why sixty when common sense says it not physically possible. As previously mentioned most accidents are in rural areas. Yet the law says we can drive on country lanes at 50-60 when the limit on motorways is only 10 mph more.
Driving through glapwell yesterday. There is a 40 mph speed limit sign with a speed camera on it. 40 yds later a 30 mph speed limit sign. Eh who's gonna get done speeding within 40 yds. Yet on the 30 mph rd there is in excess of 15 speed camera signs and no speed limit signs. So if you miss the one 30 mph sign you then have to assume it's 30 mph. Now call me stoopid, but what about swopping those camera signs for 30 mph signs. So no one assumes owt.
The whole system is out of date. Furthermore no one is gonna convince me that it cannot be changed. If you can up the limit on motorways in roadworks areas from 50-60 mph you can alter signage on roads. There is one big differance though. To up the limits on motorways costs nowt to do but less time in traffic jams saves money. Putting signage up on rds costs money, but revenue from cameras would fall so it's not gonna happen.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I get that Imurg, but why sixty when common sense says it not physically possible. As previously mentioned most accidents are in rural areas. Yet the law says we can drive on country lanes at 50-60 when the limit on motorways is only 10 mph more.
Driving through glapwell yesterday. There is a 40 mph speed limit sign with a speed camera on it. 40 yds later a 30 mph speed limit sign. Eh who's gonna get done speeding within 40 yds. Yet on the 30 mph rd there is in excess of 15 speed camera signs and no speed limit signs. So if you miss the one 30 mph sign you then have to assume it's 30 mph. Now call me stoopid, but what about swopping those camera signs for 30 mph signs. So no one assumes owt.
The whole system is out of date. Furthermore no one is gonna convince me that it cannot be changed. If you can up the limit on motorways in roadworks areas from 50-60 mph you can alter signage on roads. There is one big differance though. To up the limits on motorways costs nowt to do but less time in traffic jams saves money. Putting signage up on rds costs money, but revenue from cameras would fall so it's not gonna happen.

On a motorway, in pouring rain, high winds and heavy traffic you're allowed by law to do 70.
Do you?
Obviously not as you're not able to.
Same applies on rural roads.
You're allowed to do 60 if you can - safely
If you can't, you don't..that's where the common sense kicks in.
You can't signpost every road - the cost would be astronomical and, on these rural roads, speed limits would change every time you go around a corner - 30 for the corner, up to 60 for the straight bit, back to 30 for a corner, up to 40 for the slightly bendy bit, down to 20 for the hairpin bend, up to 60, down to 30 - not going to happen...
Sometimes you get a 40 sign followed fairly quickly by a 30 - that's because there are rules as to how far between repeater signs can be apart.
The rules are pretty straightforward really. Generally, if you have streetlights and no signs then it's 30. If you have no streetlights and no signs it's National Limit. Any other speed and there will be signs, streetlights or not.
I don't see raising the limit on motorways as a solution. Most people are doing 80 already, those that want to do 70 will still do 70 but those who don't care will be able to do 85+ and not get pulled....means you're going to get to bottlenecks quicker and cause more congestion.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going down Knowsley Lane in Liverpool.
30mph through the village then a 50mph sign when you leave the village but 150yds around a bend there's a roundabout then back to 30mph that's just stupid and dangerous if your a stranger.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having been on two speed awareness courses I am now of the ilk that the rules re speed limits and what does or does not denote what the speed limits are, with the necessary exceptions. It is all Ballax. Makes me chuckle that on a rd there may be X number of speed camera signs but no speed limit signs.

I am also a bit bemused by this as many Speed Camera Signs also include the speed limit - so why not all?

As it happens - if I am not sure I just follow the Highway Code.