Speed limit changes?

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Hoping one you knowledgeable lot can help! What is needed to change the speed limit of a section of road? There's a section of road near me where the limit has always been 40. It was clearly marked at both ends. 30 either side of that. The 40 signs have all gone, although the 30 signs at each end are still there. Is this sufficient notice to change the limit? Or is something else required? Nobody has any clue what the limit is meant to be.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A sign telling you what the speed limit is. Sometimes an additional sign may be erected informing you that the speed limit has changed. In your post you say that the 40 signs have gone but the 30 is still there. Well that tells me that the speed limit is 30

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Some street lighting but not all the way through IIRC. I agree if the 40s are gone it's now a 30, but it's a bit sneaky not to make it more obvious for those who use the road regularly.
I have been sticking to 30, but had people up my rear, impatient.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some street lighting but not all the way through IIRC. I agree if the 40s are gone it's now a 30, but it's a bit sneaky not to make it more obvious for those who use the road regularly.
They should replace the 40 mph signs with 30mph signs to warn you of the change .

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
After 10 years of driving 2-3 under the speed limit I have gotten used to honking and being overtaken, happens almost daily in 30 zones.

Waze tells you the speed limit and it’s close enough to being up to date. Updated just a few days after a local road near me changed from a 30 to a 20.

I use it any time I’m going to drive unfamiliar roads or there is a chance of it. Even locally as I’m still new to most parts of my local city.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

i went to magistrates court a few times ( long story ). Any way a guy got done for doing more than 30 mph on a rd that he knew/ the whole village knew was being reduced from 40-30. They had campaigned for it. Which ever authority was in charge was supposed to let the village know through local newsletters etc when it was being done. They didn't. His arguement was that he had driven onto this rd from a side rd which never stated that the rd had now been reduced to 30 mph. The court agreed with him and asked which ever authority to make sure the rd signs on side roads where put in place. They also asked the authority's in charge of said rd change to let the village know through news letters etc. The guy said not to bother with the last bit as the whole village was now having a good laugh at his " ordeal " as he was one of the guys who campaigned for the reduction.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Depends on the streetlights...
No lights, no signs = National limit
With lights and no signs = 30.

Having been on two speed awareness courses I am now of the ilk that the rules re speed limits and what does or does not denote what the speed limits are, with the necessary exceptions. It is all Ballax. Makes me chuckle that on a rd there may be X number of speed camera signs but no speed limit signs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Speed limit changes have to be done properly.
When a huge estate was built here a few years back, the main road through was designated a 40, all side roads 30
But, if you came in from the other end of the estate there were no 30 signs changing from the 40 zone.
Our local Tesco has 20 limit signs on the approach road - both ways. But they don't change it back to 30..so it's unenforceable