Big changes at Goswick

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

A Gander at Goswick​

January/February 2023​

CGI image of new front 9
It's Official: We Can Now Proceed with Our Course Changes

We are very happy (and somewhat relieved) to report that our application for a change of use on some additional land has been approved. This means we can now move full steam ahead on our plan to significantly enhance the front 9.

There are still some preliminary steps to be sorted out, at which point we will be able to share details, including the anticipated timeline and the impact on play while this work is being carried out. But roughly speaking, over the next two years or so, we will be making changes to the 1st, 6th, 7th and 8th holes and replacing the 9th hole with an all-new par 3. This is in addition to the improvements made to the 3rd, 4th and 5th holes this winter.

Bottom line: When it’s all said and done, an already great links will be even better. Very exciting times at Goswick!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was talking to a member of goswick just last week.
He told me of the plans to do away with 9th and there was a new hole going in
I believe somewhere between 5th and 6th (?)
Sure that's what he said

I wasn't aware of other plans though

Still the best course in my county by far
( my fave too )
Northumberlands finest 👍

Skytot

Visit site
On their booking system it says No single players . I’m up Northumberland in June and concidered playing here but not now

HeftyHacker

Visit site
On their booking system it says No single players . I’m up Northumberland in June and concidered playing here but not now

I played there as a single last June mate, although it was on a twilight rate. I actually ended up joining three members for the last 4 holes or so and they were great lads.

Just ring the pro shop and speak to them, honestly some of the friendliest and most helpful staff I've ever dealt with at a golf club.

Skytot

Visit site
I played there as a single last June mate, although it was on a twilight rate. I actually ended up joining three members for the last 4 holes or so and they were great lads.

Just ring the pro shop and speak to them, honestly some of the friendliest and most helpful staff I've ever dealt with at a golf club.
Cheers that’s good to know .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never played Goswick, the big miss in my NE list of courses played, but everyone raves about it. For those who have played it, do you think these changes are needed? Do the descriptions of what is changing sound like improvements?

It's a bold move to alter so many holes when it is already well regarded.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've never played Goswick, the big miss in my NE list of courses played, but everyone raves about it. For those who have played it, do you think these changes are needed? Do the descriptions of what is changing sound like improvements?

Changes to the first and ninth will definitely make it even better.
Not sure other changes were needed.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'd echo KenL comments
No idea what all the changes will be, but 9th was probably the weakest hole, design wise, not weak as in easy.....as I've seen some numbers scored on there in the wrong conditions.
So doing away with 9th, most wouldn't object to I dare say.
Great way it is to me.
Even forward tees winter course layout is great too👍

Lastly, Lord T
If you haven't played it....why not for heavens sake😉....get up there and get it played😁

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Changes to the first and ninth will definitely make it even better.
Not sure other changes were needed.
I've only played it the once so my opinion is not as well informed, but I thought the first was a decent hole.
Agree about the ninth though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Only played it during the Ryder Cup games between Scotland and England formers. Was the 9th the par 3 by the railway line?

Back 9 I remember was the stronger,front 9 did have some weaker holes. Hope they are leaving 18th as it was, the Goswick 8 will never forgive them🤣