Ultra 4K HD / HDR Judder

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just got our new OLED TV up and running properly with 4K HDR programmes on our Sky Q box, and I notice that there can be some ‘juddering’ in the picture - most noticeable when the camera has panned across a landscape or suchlike. My thinking is that this is not how it’s supposed to be and rather that it might be something to do with my broadband speed not being sufficient to support a smooth picture (especially given the multiplicity of devices we have connected to broadband).

We currently have Sky Superfast broadband. We could move to ‘fibre to house’ from Swish or Hey! - maybe BT, or simply upgrade our Sky to Sky Ultra Fast.

Any thoughts.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What speed you on ?
Usually see judder on fast moving things like sport.
Have you tried playing with the TV settings.
There will be YouTube videos out for optimal settings for most TV's

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
As above - something in the TV settings. I can't remember what though! Lots of advice on the net to change from the manufacturers settings to ones that are much better.

WGCRider

Visit site
Is it a LG C2??
Juddering is a bit of a design feature. Following the ball in football or rugby is the worst.
Putting it in cinema mode is the best you can hope for.

WGCRider

Visit site
As a bit of advice for anyone going to store to buy a TV.
When you look at the demo content;
1) Never be impressed with lots of black in the picture. It's an OLED they all do this. Look at how faithfully reds and greens are reproduced to judge.
2) If the demo is in slo-mo move along, this is not the set you are looking for.
3) Look at shadows and clouds. If you can see the detail eg. brickwork or windows in shadows or if clouds look like clouds rather than white fluff then this might be the set you are after.
4) Any manufacturer that is showing sport in their demo content is confident they have a set better than the competition.
5) Thin TV's are bendy TV's. People who care about how thin a TV is are fools soon parted from their money.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to download speeds and considering fibre to house you need to consider what network adaptors are in the receiving device.
If you have the original Sky ITB Q box it has a slower adaptor than the 2TB box and I think LG TVs are limited to 100mb.
Assuming you have a smart TV you can run speed test programmes on the TV. I have a 3 year old LED LG and it only receives at 60MB from my 200mb fibre to house.
Also if you are network cabled to the TV you need to have Cat 6 cable min to make use of the fibre to house.

If it is an a LG
This site gives info on checking LG tvs

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What speed you on ?
Usually see judder on fast moving things like sport.
Have you tried playing with the TV settings.
There will be YouTube videos out for optimal settings for most TV's
It’s most noticeable where the picture is rapid panning or their is more rapid motion … like a herd of charging wildebeest…🙄

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it a LG C2??
Juddering is a bit of a design feature. Following the ball in football or rugby is the worst.
Putting it in cinema mode is the best you can hope for.
It is…well IIRC I’m pretty sure it is.

ETA…it’s a C1 and cinema mode seems to help. Though also looking at getting fibre to premises anyway.

Last edited: