Sky Q

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking for peoples experience with Sky Q.

We have basic Sky Plus HD in two rooms and our daughter would like it in her room, but the only way we can do this now is to switch to a Sky Q Box with two Sky Wireless mini boxes. We have Fibre wireless broadband and get about 30Mbps.

There will be not extra monthly charge but the installation is £214 :confused:

Searched the internet, and reviews seem to be mixed, but I know people only tend to post to rubbish things off, my concern is, that once we have changed there is no going back to what is working at the moment but not in all rooms.

So, anyone have Sky Q? If so how is it where there many dramas with the installation setting up etc.

Thanks

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I got it installed for free as a long standing customer. It took two goes to install, as my house is big, and wifi is awful. The boxes talk to each other via your router. It now works, but none of the interactive stuff does, as the master box has no internet in my house, despite being able to see the router. I could call them back, but cant be bothered.

I wanted it to get hd downstairs, and that bit works.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got Sky Q. There were definitely some teething problems in the beginning but it seems like they've ironed those out now. i find it works really well, nice and easy to navigate and UHD football is always good

D

Deleted member 15344

I have Sky q and it’s superb - took 30 mins to install , free installation because I was moving home , costs me nothing extra a month - highly recommended

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are happy with your Sky as is, there is another option.

The LNB on the dish has four 'line outs' two of these go to one box so you can watch one program while recording another. If you do not need this feature on both existing boxes you can remove one cable input and feed it to a third box. Alternatively you can use a signal splitter to feed a third box/or one box to get two 'line ins' to the box.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had Sky Q from the outset - no install charge.

Love it, works well, have multi room - did have to get one bedroom box swapped out.
Important to keep the software up to date

I would go for it but I would certainly not be paying the install charge they have quoted

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm paying £59 a month for the full Sky Q package (Sports, Movies, the works), with a 2TB box and a mini box. Free installation and no charge for either box. They also gave me a £25 credit to my account.

£59 is about a 40% discount on the full rate (I think it would be about £95 at full rates).

There are deals to be had.

Get on to the Sky webchat and tell them you're leaving unless they do a deal and see what they come up with. I expect they'll give you 35%/40% off straightaway and cut the installation cost down, they'll possibly make you pay for the second mini box, or pay something. But, if you don't like the deal they offer, you have the option to cancel your subscription.

That's what I did, and then just waited until the last week of my notice period and gave them another chance to come up with a good deal, which they did. It is probably possible to get better deals than I did, (today might be a good day to try given it's black friday?) but I have a rule of accepting an offer if I'm happy with it, as there's no guarantee it'll still be there a couple of days later!

Last edited:

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Love my Sky Q and wouldn’t want to change back. I have the 2TB main box and 2 minis, used to have to reboot a mini every now and again but touch wood, not had to for a while. Overall it’s a big :thup: from me.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone using 2 boxes without having the Sky Boadband/router? I was researching earlier this week and seems like it is not so easy to connect wirelessly without the full bundle.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry to hijack, but is there a limit to how many mini boxes you can have?

weve currently got a box in the lounge, one in the bedroom and one in the den, and would like to upgrade to sky q, but would also like to have Sky in my daughters room, so potentially 4 different rooms in total?

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I believe you can up to up to 5 mini boxes connected but can only watch on 2 in addition to main box at the same time. This was the case when I got mine 18 months ago but may have changed since then. You can watch on iPads etc too and they don’t count towards limit

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why not use Skygo? Your daughter can then watched it on a computer/tablet as a registered device anywhere in range of your Wifi.

D

Deleted member 16999

Ordered today, fitting booked for 12th Jan,
I’m also on a list in case of cancellations.