TV (Home Cinema) Audio Puzzle

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so, I have my new LG TV mounted on the wall and I have my Sky mini box connected to it by HDMI. I also have a Yamaha soundbar wire-connected to the TV by optical line and the TV is now channeling audio to the Soundbar. I have synched/paired my SkyQ remote so that I am controlling the Sky Q input to the TV.

With my previous TV in same configuration I was able to control the soundbar volume using the SkyQ remote, plus I was also able to switch on the soundbar using the remote by holding the remote on/off/standby button for about three seconds. I can’t work out how to do either with new TV…indeed I don’t know whether this is anything to do with the TV at all, and the issue is one of pairing the remote to the Soundbar and nothing to do with any TV setting.

I have been hunting through TV audio setup options and may at one point have spotted something but I can’t find it any more, and it may simply have been the way of setting audio out to Soundbar.

Help or pointers please much appreciated.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
And so, I have my new LG TV mounted on the wall and I have my Sky mini box connected to it by HDMI. I also have a Yamaha soundbar wire-connected to the TV by optical line and the TV is now channeling audio to the Soundbar. I have synched/paired my SkyQ remote so that I am controlling the Sky Q input to the TV.

With my previous TV in same configuration I was able to control the soundbar volume using the SkyQ remote, plus I was also able to switch on the soundbar using the remote by holding the remote on/off/standby button for about three seconds. I can’t work out how to do either with new TV…indeed I don’t know whether this is anything to do with the TV at all, and the issue is one of pairing the remote to the Soundbar and nothing to do with any TV setting.

I have been hunting through TV audio setup options and may at one point have spotted something but I can’t find it any more, and it may simply have been the way of setting audio out to Soundbar.

Help or pointers please much appreciated.
Is there a specific HDMI port you need to use?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah you need to the soundbar conencted by HDMI to the arc(eArc) input on your tv that should fix the voume issue as WGC states above

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the above it will depend on whether or not your soundbar has HDMI arc, my old Yamaha Sound bar was optical in only.

I have an LG tv and a Yamaha Surround Sound amp.

The LG remote will control the volume on the amp when connected to the HDMI arc port and sound out set to HDMI arc on the TV. It will also auto switch to optical out on the TV and Optical in for the sound bar when I switch to Netflix, Amazon etc on the TV.

For the Sky remote to control the volume on the a new TV it must be paired with the TV. Use Sky help to see how to do this. Sky code 0206 worked with my LG TV.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks all. I wasn’t previously connecting my soundbar to my Sony TV using HDMI to ARC, simply the optical line. That said I had Sky Q mini box connected by HDMI to ARC port on the TV, and I don’t think I‘ve done that this time and the ARC port required a rear connection and there isnt enough room between TV and wall for the HDMI lead, will look to see IG any of the ‘side’ HDMI ports are ARC ports.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds like you need to sync the remote.

Cheers, your mention of it and the link does bring to mind that I had to match the Sky Q remote with the TV.

I guess what happens is that as I have told the TV to channel audio output through the soundbar then if I get the remote telling the TV to increase or decrease volume then the TV will do same to the soundbar.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think if you are using optical you cannot control the Volume on the soundbar it needs to be HDMI to Arc
Not in all cases. Some Yamaha soundbars come with "remote learning" where you program the soundbar to recognise the TV or Sky remote using commands from the soundbar's own remote.

In laws have an older gen Yamaha YAS series that has this function but is SPDIF/Optical connected.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was told optical is now old hat and HDMI is the way to connect things. I know my Pana OLED doesn’t have optical outs now, only scart and HDMI.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers, your mention of it and the link does bring to mind that I had to match the Sky Q remote with the TV.

I guess what happens is that as I have told the TV to channel audio output through the soundbar then if I get the remote telling the TV to increase or decrease volume then the TV will do same to the soundbar.

When Sky installed my SkyQ system, the lead from the Sky Box goes to the soundbar and then to the TV. My feeling was that it should go to the TV first and then to the soundbar but apparently that isn't so.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks all. I wasn’t previously connecting my soundbar to my Sony TV using HDMI to ARC, simply the optical line. That said I had Sky Q mini box connected by HDMI to ARC port on the TV, and I don’t think I‘ve done that this time and the ARC port required a rear connection and there isnt enough room between TV and wall for the HDMI lead, will look to see IG any of the ‘side’ HDMI ports are ARC ports.
You can get angled 90 degree HDMI connectors, they are available angled all ways some are even flexible, for tight to the wall tv's.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When Sky installed my SkyQ system, the lead from the Sky Box goes to the soundbar and then to the TV. My feeling was that it should go to the TV first and then to the soundbar but apparently that isn't so.
Got a Sky engineer round on Sunday coming to move my Sky Q main box, I’m sure he’ll help me set things up properly.👍

D

Deleted member 31467

Google/youtube is your friend. I had a similar issue with my Sonos and found the resolution online.