Surround Sound for TV recommendations

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am thinking of doing some kind of a home theater. We have a 55 Sony.. it works. I have a Yamaha sound bar which is pretty good, but rarely used nowadays. One primary reason is that we will another remote and it cost leccy to run the thing.

As we are moving Telly into the open plan extension, it will need some form of additional sound boost from the tv. Hence starting to look at options for Surround sound systems. It should be able to play wireless music from a phone when needed. I will make a trip down to Richer Sounds (perhaps U.K’s best and most underrated retailer )

What are the forumers choice of listening to a Lowry cheery or a Rory Roar??

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's like many things and is driven by budget. Some home cinema kit is outrageously good, but also extortionately expensive.

We have a Denon AVR that runs Front LR, Centre and Rear LR KEF T301 speakers (very slim units as they are wall mounted) and a 250W self built Subwoofer.

All in all it was about £1500 for the speakers and about £500 for the AVR amp.

That said, good set-ups can be had quite cheaply. But, and it's a big but, you need to remember that 90% of home cinema set-ups are wired systems.

Unless, of course, you go the "virtual surround" route with another soundbar or similar.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you paying cash? 🤭🤭

Depends on who is asking..

It's like many things and is driven by budget. Some home cinema kit is outrageously good, but also extortionately expensive.

We have a Denon AVR that runs Front LR, Centre and Rear LR KEF T301 speakers (very slim units as they are wall mounted) and a 250W self built Subwoofer.

All in all it was about £1500 for the speakers and about £500 for the AVR amp.

That said, good set-ups can be had quite cheaply. But, and it's a big but, you need to remember that 90% of home cinema set-ups are wired systems.

Unless, of course, you go the "virtual surround" route with another soundbar or similar.

Interesting… I am looking for sound bar.. speaker (and maybe sub)… not really looking for DVD player
the Sonos looks yummy but nearly 2.5k!!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How bigs the room ?

I have a Sonos beam and use two Sonos 1's as rears.
Room is ~ 4 x 3 M and that's loud enough .

I will add a sub at some stage but there's enough bass at the moment not to worry too much.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on who is asking..

Interesting… I am looking for sound bar.. speaker (and maybe sub)… not really looking for DVD player
the Sonos looks yummy but nearly 2.5k!!
Sound bar you are not getting surround sound, regardless of what claims they make about “virtual” anything. Best you will get is 2.2.1 with the .2. Being front “directed” speakers.

Don’t get me wrong, directed speakers have a place, in Atmos for example, but that’s just supplementing already complete surround sounds and so works.

Sonos sit in that 10% of non-wired systems (either Bluetooth, RF or Wi-Fi enabled systems) but are expensive with, to my ears, no more superior sound than a mid tier wired system.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a basic Yamaha 6 speaker surround sound and an LG TV the TV control the volumes via HDMI. The sound is good enough for me.
It very much depends on whether or not you want Atmos (basically upward firing speakers) 5.1 or 7.1speaker system.

I nearly went for one of the Sony sound bars that has a bluetooth to the rear speakers but I settled on a wired system as I already have trunking for the network cables.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How bigs the room ?

I have a Sonos beam and use two Sonos 1's as rears.
Room is ~ 4 x 3 M and that's loud enough .

I will add a sub at some stage but there's enough bass at the moment not to worry too much.
It is a big space.. we r breaking thru a few rooms to create open plan.. the whole space is 10m x 6m.. but that will have a noisy kitchen, diner and the TV section .. the TV section is going to be about 3 or 4m across

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a basic Yamaha 6 speaker surround sound and an LG TV the TV control the volumes via HDMI. The sound is good enough for me.
It very much depends on whether or not you want Atmos (basically upward firing speakers) 5.1 or 7.1speaker system.

I nearly went for one of the Sony sound bars that has a bluetooth to the rear speakers but I settled on a wired system as I already have trunking for the network cables.
Do you have a lag between the TV and speakers. In the old days, they seemed to be out of sync

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have a lag between the TV and speakers. In the old days, they seemed to be out of sync
No

My worry about the Sony was would this happen with bluetooth speakers

I have seen this once on a SKY recorded programme and have only seen it this one time and would suspect the recording rather than the kit as I managed to get rid of it by stopping and starting the recording a couple of times.