Smart TV advice required

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't got a massive living room by any stretch of the imagination, but by placing the television tight up against the wall so that it looks as if it's hanging there, my 49" is the perfect size.

Same, i think once hung on the wall well, a big TV kind of shrinks. If its on a stand it seems to be much bigger. I went one step further and removed all the associated clutter (Sky box, dvd etc etc) so on a plain wall i just have the TV, no wires. nothing under it, looks reet smart!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Same, i think once hung on the wall well, a big TV kind of shrinks. If its on a stand it seems to be much bigger. I went one step further and removed all the associated clutter (Sky box, dvd etc etc) so on a plain wall i just have the TV, no wires. nothing under it, looks reet smart!

What does help is having a television with a nice thin bezel.
Prior to my current Sony I had a Panasonic which had a really thick bezel, especially along the bottom where the speakers sat.
I passed it on to my daughter and whenever I go round to visit her I can't get over how massive the television looks, although it is only the same size as mine.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't got a massive living room by any stretch of the imagination, but by placing the television tight up against the wall so that it looks as if it's hanging there, my 49" is the perfect size.

Though what sort of size of room you got it in. 'Not massive' could be twice the size of mine :)

And on the point of room size vs screen size - is there an optimal minimal viewing distance for large screens that might render have a large 55" screen rather pointless. Also bezel on current TV is 2" all round - so pretty wide compared with new screens. having to build a case here that I can use to persuade my wife - who hates the idea of a TV dominating a room - and actually just won't have it.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You can thank me later :whoo::thup:

Well whit do you know - she's bitten! Now got to keep her hooked and reel her in. Her main question now is how we get our Sky Box into the back room - it's currently in the front. Will have to have a play as I don't want to have to be routing a cable or cables from front to back of house. Might even be able to go for a 50"er but 4K Ultra HD - dunno.

Cheers :thup:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well whit do you know - she's bitten! Now got to keep her hooked and reel her in. Her main question now is how we get our Sky Box into the back room - it's currently in the front. Will have to have a play as I don't want to have to be routing a cable or cables from front to back of house. Might even be able to go for a 50"er but 4K Ultra HD - dunno.

Cheers :thup:

I think you can get some kind magic eye from Sky.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you can get some kind magic eye from Sky.

I'll look into the magic eye - at first reading it seems that I'd have top have a co-axial running from my back room to the Sky Box in the front room - and that might be difficult as getting it under floor boards not that straightforward.

Also - daft question but to be asked in any case.

I fancy a sound box also - but it wouldn't be able to sit directly under the TV, Instead I'd have to have it sitting in an alcove to the side of the chimney breast where I'd have the TV mounted (maybe 3ft laterally centre of TV to centre of sound box). Will that sound weird - or should it be OK?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll look into the magic eye - at first reading it seems that I'd have top have a co-axial running from my back room to the Sky Box in the front room - and that might be difficult as getting it under floor boards not that straightforward.

Also - daft question but to be asked in any case.

I fancy a sound box also - but it wouldn't be able to sit directly under the TV, Instead I'd have to have it sitting in an alcove to the side of the chimney breast where I'd have the TV mounted (maybe 3ft laterally centre of TV to centre of sound box). Will that sound weird - or should it be OK?

Better ask the experts, I too would like a wireless sound bar fitted away from the TV, in my larger room.

I'll watch the replies with interest:thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Better ask the experts, I too would like a wireless sound bar fitted away from the TV, in my larger room.

I'll watch the replies with interest:thup:

I'm sure that I came across a wireless soundbox yesterday...

I'm guessing the sound won't be too weird as I currently have my TV connected to my amp and the speakers are on a wall side-on to the TV - effectively almost behind as you watch. So I keep the TV volume on low - but sufficient that there is sound coming fro the 'right' direction (from the TV) backed up by my speakers. So having a soundbox laterally displaced I'm guessing will hardly be noticeable in the surround-sound scheme of things.

btw - my Mrs asked this morning when we are going to buy this new TV :) Her rationale for getting the TV is not quite the same as mine. She thinks having a new wall-mounted flat screen will complement our completely refurbished back room and make it look more modern (in a period house) - and she wants that look for when we come to sell.