Smart TV advice required

C

c1973

I'm moving house and I'm looking to upgrade from our trusty Panasonic to a Smart TV as a wee moving in present, but unsure what I should plump for.

Im willing to spend up to, or around, the £1K Mark but for that money I will be looking to invest in a soundbar as well, as I'll be getting rid off my surround sound system.

I'm looking at Panasonic, Samsung and Sony. LG is a non starter as I've had problems with their merchandise previously.

Around the 50" mark would be preferable, but I'll go a couple of inches either way.

Ideally I'd like the telly and soundbar to be integrated (wireless?), but it's not a must.

Unsure about the whole UHD/4K thing, would perhaps go Sony if I went down that route? If I got UHD/4K it would need to be a 2015 model (compatibility issues with future SKY sports content according to what I've read?)

I would want an OLED as opposed to an LED telly assuming it is better.

All I'll be looking to do is watch my SKY, play DVDs/Blu Ray and access Netflix and You Tube (so a good sound for music as well as movies is a must), Amazon Prime would be a bonus but not a necessity, oh and perhaps view the odd USA only series from a usb thingy as well.

I think I'm leaning toward Sony, but in the shop Samsung seem to have a better quality pic (yes, I know the signal is quite possibly boosted). I like my Panasonic, but nothing is jumping out at me.

Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated as it's a bit of a tech maze for me (even after reading up and doing my homework).

Edit: Being able to fire my iTunes through it would be a bonus. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm moving house and I'm looking to upgrade from our trusty Panasonic to a Smart TV as a wee moving in present, but unsure what I should plump for.

Im willing to spend up to, or around, the £1K Mark but for that money I will be looking to invest in a soundbar as well, as I'll be getting rid off my surround sound system.

I'm looking at Panasonic, Samsung and Sony. LG is a non starter as I've had problems with their merchandise previously.

Around the 50" mark would be preferable, but I'll go a couple of inches either way.

Ideally I'd like the telly and soundbar to be integrated (wireless?), but it's not a must.

Unsure about the whole UHD/4K thing, would perhaps go Sony if I went down that route? If I got UHD/4K it would need to be a 2015 model (compatibility issues with future SKY sports content according to what I've read?)

I would want an OLED as opposed to an LED telly assuming it is better.

All I'll be looking to do is watch my SKY, play DVDs/Blu Ray and access Netflix and You Tube (so a good sound for music as well as movies is a must), Amazon Prime would be a bonus but not a necessity, oh and perhaps view the odd USA only series from a usb thingy as well.

I think I'm leaning toward Sony, but in the shop Samsung seem to have a better quality pic (yes, I know the signal is quite possibly boosted). I like my Panasonic, but nothing is jumping out at me.

Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated as it's a bit of a tech maze for me (even after reading up and doing my homework).

Edit: Being able to fire my iTunes through it would be a bonus. :)

Thanks.
I bought a 55 inch Panasonic and I'm not impressed with the sound also i can't get ITV player on it , my mate bought a Sony which cost less , and its better all round.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Got a Sony, and have had Sony flatscreens in the past. I wouldn't switch to another brand unless there was a decent USP that Sony doesn't have.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have a Sony smart TV. Love the screen mirroring function to pair up my Microsoft surface. Slick and super handy.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sorry to thread jack but what was the LG issue? Mrs BiM and I are considering a new TV and have been extremely impressed with their picture quality; they have been in hotels we've used and it has been nothing less than stunning. If there are issues we'd knock them off the list but on what we've seen they are head and shoulders above anything else.

C

c1973

Is it one of those 4K/UHD numbers Gary?

If so, is it worth the extra outlay for the limited programmes available?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
To add something useful to the thread from your point of view, have you looked at a Q-TV2 sound bar? Discreet and sounds very good, bolts to the back of the tv and all you see are speakers at either side.

C

c1973

Sorry to thread jack but what was the LG issue? Mrs BiM and I are considering a new TV and have been extremely impressed with their picture quality; they have been in hotels we've used and it has been nothing less than stunning. If there are issues we'd knock them off the list but on what we've seen they are head and shoulders above anything else.

All the LG ones I've looked at recently had stunning picture quality.

It was an issue from a good few years back, first off I lost the sound intermittently......new part fitted.......lost sound intermittently...........new part fitted......lost sound completely!

They eventually replaced the TV.

Then I got problems with the picture, a green line across the screen ( blue I could have lived with.....but green!! ;) ). They replaced that after a few attempts at sorting it...........then I lost the sound again!

I refused a replacement and bought a Samsung (great picture, not to clever sound wise, but acceptable).

Maybe I was unlucky, but it put me off them for life.

C

c1973

To add something useful to the thread from your point of view, have you looked at a Q-TV2 sound bar? Discreet and sounds very good, bolts to the back of the tv and all you see are speakers at either side.

I've not really done my homework on soundbars yet. I'll have a look though. Thanks.

C

c1973

Got one of these about 2 months ago http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/PANA-TX50CX680B

Great TV with superb functionality. Viera panels are one of, if not, the best IMO.
Onkyo amp does 4k upscaling and the picture is unreal. Like looking out of a window.

Not a bad deal either as we paid £899 and still thought it was a great deal.

Had a look at Viera, my mum has Viera (not 4K though) and it is a nice picture.
Better than Bravia?

C

c1973

Going to keep an eye on this thread have my eye on a Samsung any expirience a anyone?

I've had 2, never a problem and very good picture. Was not blown away by the sound, but I had a home cinema (5:1) so it was never an issue.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a look at Viera, my mum has Viera (not 4K though) and it is a nice picture.
Better than Bravia?

In my opinion the Viera panels are better thsn Sony's. Glasgow Richer Sounds put the Pana next to a Sony and Samsung with the same upscaled source and the Viera won hands down.
Sound is sn unknown as I use an AV system.

C

c1973

In my opinion the Viera panels are better thsn Sony's. Glasgow Richer Sounds put the Pana next to a Sony and Samsung with the same upscaled source and the Viera won hands down.
Sound is sn unknown as I use an AV system.

Thanks Greig.

I might nip up to Glasgow and have a look see. Never thought about Richer Sounds. Probably best if I see them side by side.

Cheers for that.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Greig.

I might nip up to Glasgow and have a look see. Never thought about Richer Sounds. Probably best if I see them side by side.

Cheers for that.
Always worth looking in John Lewis as well. They are competitive
and you get a 5 year warranty with it as well. We got a good deal on our Sony recently