Changing Glasses -Wow

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just had cataracts sorted on both eyes. One eye is "lazy" so little use especially as I had them lasered 25 years' ago.
I was OK to drive without glasses but the optician said it would be beneficial in the dark. Was unsure about bi or vari focal and possibly wanted the lense to darken in the sunlight.

They were talking about £480 which I found staggering. the cheapest frames were £180.

They are a small independent but all that is required is for reading. I can read with my existing glasses but sure there is room for improvement.

Was considering Vision express or Tesco; I have the prescription as I feel the price excessive.

Anybody had any experience and any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had cataracts sorted on both eyes. One eye is "lazy" so little use especially as I had them lasered 25 years' ago.
I was OK to drive without glasses but the optician said it would be beneficial in the dark. Was unsure about bi or vari focal and possibly wanted the lense to darken in the sunlight.

They were talking about £480 which I found staggering. the cheapest frames were £180.

They are a small independent but all that is required is for reading. I can read with my existing glasses but sure there is room for improvement.

Was considering Vision express or Tesco; I have the prescription as I feel the price excessive.

Anybody had any experience and any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Try spex4less online

If you have the prescription they can cut the cost

Independent ones I find the worst price wise. My wife's glasses were ridiculous price for one pair

I've used spex 4 less you send in photos of your face with a ruler up against so they can do the sums

Opticians say only they can provide but it's just fear. They do great service

RichA

Visit site
MrsA has used Vision Express. They promised much and delivered little. Anything other than cheapo frames and lenses is the same price as an expensive indie.
She now uses an indie and pays a small fortune for new glasses. And replaces them about every 18 months because they aren't quite right.

I get my eyes tested at Specsavers every couple of years. If needed I get glasses done by one of the online reglaze firms.
My bifocals for driving and sitting on the sofa watching TV/glancing at my iPhone cost about £70 using Ray-Ban frames I already had.
My single distance glasses I use for golf were £130 including new Ray-Ban frames.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
MrsA has used Vision Express. They promised much and delivered little. Anything other than cheapo frames and lenses is the same price as an expensive indie.
She now uses an indie and pays a small fortune for new glasses. And replaces them about every 18 months because they aren't quite right.

I get my eyes tested at Specsavers every couple of years. If needed I get glasses done by one of the online reglaze firms.
My bifocals for driving and sitting on the sofa watching TV/glancing at my iPhone cost about £70 using Ray-Ban frames I already had.
My single distance glasses I use for golf were £130 including new Ray-Ban frames.

It's my turn for new glasses this year

Last time I went to the local shop thinking support local

The guy tried to put me on yearly tests for no real change.

Then the cost was about £50 more

So sent wife to another place I checked the prices. For what they wanted I could get a pair and my current pair reglazed

I won't be going to any indi again they just can't compete cost wise

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If you only need a simple prescription to fine tune what you've got after the cataract surgery, then any of the cheap online places should be fine. I've used Select Specs and they were fine, but would guess they are all much the same.
I'm in a similar situation to you - just need a slight correction for a bit of residual astigmatism in my reading glasses rather than go for simple +2 off the shelf.

RichA

Visit site
Just to add, I've used Direct Sight a few times and Frames Direct once. They were both excellent.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Asda Opticians. I used to use the likes of Vision Express and was charged hundreds.
Used Asda for about 10 years, 2 pairs about £140. Thin lenses, varifocals they do not charge extra for.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I use a company called Lensology. They just replace the lenses in my current frames any time I need a prescription change. Have used them for about 5 years now. Previously my prescription was just for computer use, ie single vision. Changing these was about £30. This year I needed to wear them full time in a new job, this meant I needed varifocals, they cost £90 to update the frames.

Good company, will work with you if you have issues - took me a while to get used to the varifocals.

if you just need for reading, get cheap readers from Amazon for a couple of quid.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try Specsavers. My prescription is (reasonably) complex but Specsavers are as cheap as anywhere else. And as an aside, personally I'd only go to somewhere where they take 'fitting measurements' in person - and not just from a picture.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Me and my wife both use Specsavers. Good service and will always work to find the best deal. Also handy using a real shop as we can pop down if we want the frames tweaking to fit or when the Mrs loses a nose pad - which she manages to do fairly regularly. You can’t do that in an online shop

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me and my wife both use Specsavers. Good service and will always work to find the best deal. Also handy using a real shop as we can pop down if we want the frames tweaking to fit or when the Mrs loses a nose pad - which she manages to do fairly regularly. You can’t do that in an online shop

That said the one pair of glasses I've had that fell apart were Specsavers... Rest have been boots or online, no issues

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Same here...I slipped on some ice a few years back and the specs took a bashing...Specsavers realigned them FOC in 45 seconds...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I order from Goggles4u (USA). Cheap, do the job and never had an issue with them. If I wore specs all the time I'd probably choose a pair in person but I usually only need them for dog walks and watching TV.

PS They are only simple single vision. Husband has ordered varifocals and they too were fine.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I've used MisterSpex the last few years with out any issues.
Quality and Service excellent.
I'm very particular about my glasses, having worn them for the last 40 years!!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm a specsavers dude as well. The do some great prices. I am a daily glasses wearer though!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Asda Opticians. I used to use the likes of Vision Express and was charged hundreds.
Used Asda for about 10 years, 2 pairs about £140. Thin lenses, varifocals they do not charge extra for.

I agree with this. Not keen on their eye tests but their glasses are fine. Got my current bog standard varifocals for £89

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with this. Not keen on their eye tests but their glasses are fine. Got my current bog standard varifocals for £89
I stopped getting eye tests at Asda when they missed the fact that I had cataracts. Seems like a fundamental requirement that an optician should notice something like that.

But their optical dispensing seemed ok to me.