Changing Glasses -Wow

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I stopped getting eye tests at Asda when they missed the fact that I had cataracts. Seems like a fundamental requirement that an optician should notice something like that.

But their optical dispensing seemed ok to me.

I am guessing that most glasses/ lenses are now made and dispatched from pretty much the same place these days. I miss the days when Vision Express used to make them in store in an hour.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have used select specs for years

They are so cheap I have pairs everywhere (probably around 10 pairs) I often buy the £6 a pair ones just to take what I am buying over the limit (£49) to get free delivery.

I use specsavers for the tests and pay for the additional test they offer.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Up until a couple of weeks ago I was chuffed to bits with the service at Vision express.

Week before my Holidays I noticed on my glasses both lenses were chipped near where the rims join the glasses. They are rimless on the bottom. I went in week last Saturday and showed them to the assistant and she was not interested one bit. I bought them last July. Lady called the manager and quite frankly he was a pig ignorant, obnoxious arrogant div. He wouldn’t have a look at my glasses and suggested I was mishandling them when putting them on. He then said “ it’s like when you drop your glasses they break”. He took off his glasses and dropped them on the counter. He said “ like that”. I was bloody livid and told him “ I do not need a display of what a pair of dropped glasses look like”. I told him they had lost a. Ustomer to which he shrugged his shoulders. I was bloody seething with the service.
I went straight home and sent an email to head office telling them what had gone off. They replied two days later and told me to take them into Tesco Mansfield which has a branch of vision express in there. They said they would replace the lenses free of charge. I took them into the store and mentioned what had gone of and why I was there. His response was “ oh I know all about the manager in Mansfield”. I told him I would be in the following day to give my glasses to the store manager as I was asked to see her.
I called in the following day and gave my glasses to the manager and told her the same story. She was aghast. She asked to have a look at the glasses even though she had been informed they were to be replaced. Her exact words were “ that should not happen”.
Now don’t get me wrong I didn’t know what to expect but at the very least I wanted someone to have a look at my glasses, But the service I got from the second shop was the level of service I expected from the outset. Bottom line chuffed with the outcome but that first guy, how I never had hold of him I will never know.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have had great service for many years from my local Vision Express. I have a top relationship with the optometrist/optician and the longer serving staff - whom I know by name as they do me. They have been very flexible accommodating my variable needs in respect of daily contacts. My vari-focal lens glasses were expensive but they are excellent.

All that said my wife’s experience with them with a pair of vari-focals was less good…but then again they were her first ever pair of glasses and perhaps shouldn’t have gone vari-focal.

And finally…I have not been in for a few months and I have not seen the optometrist in the shop when passing…I fear she may have departed. We will see.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Way, way cheaper in Spain. Fly across with your prescription and choose over here. The end result, including air fare might be the same but the weather this last two weeks is stunning.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've said it before, Asda Opticians.
No extra change for thinner lenses, varifocals or tints.

Two pairs of Nike specs with all of the above for me last month £160 on total.

Would be over £500 at Vision Express.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I used Specsavers for a few years, including the initial transition to varifocals. They were pretty good, though the turnover of staff was frustrating - I felt I wasn't known to them. I went for the "best" varifocal lenses they could offer.

However, over time I wasn't convinced by them and so, 18 months or so on decided to try a local independent who have a reputation for being brilliant at Varifocals, though very expensive because of the lens brands they offer.

They were brilliant. The optomotrist was incredibly thorough, and very patiently worked through lots of choices and options. Throughout their view was that if I couldn't tell the difference, or didn't particularly appreciate the difference of more expensive lenses, there was no point spending more money. (They did all sorts of tests without telling me what they were testing initially so I wasn't influenced by knowing what they were doing. They then did tests telling me in advance what they were looking at so I could see they weren't making it up!) However, I could tell the difference straight away, and I really did appreciate the better quality ones. They cost a fortune, but I am very much happier with them, and the aftersales care has continued to be first rate, including the time and effort they took in helping me select suitable contact lenses as well for golf and sport.

If you are happy with something that is low cost then that's great and there's nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately, I wasn't!