How "Smart" is your home?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very limited.

No cameras - can see out the windows who's there. Dont see much benefit in using voice activated controls - no great inconvenience in pressing a few buttons. Heating adequately controlled by thermostat. Can turn on/off lights as we need to. Wahing machine/dishwasher can be turned on as we need to. Most things are controlled by a press (or a few presses) of a switch or button. Etc.

If you embrace all this stuff then fair enough - but I'm not sure it's making life any significantly easier.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The only thing I use any sort of "smart" technology for is to remotely control the fermentation temperature in my garage brewery when I'm away from home.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Big Brother is watching you!

I remember when I first read 1984 I thought that the level of surveillance could never happen, it seems amateurish now.
And most of the surveillance is done by your neighbours cameras!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ring door bell (only on phone alert, not video storage) and Alexa for the wife’s office. Life’s complicated enough without the internet dropping out and the complete house coming to a standstill.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am not allowed a smart speaker in the office when I am working due to security concerns but we have now introduced 2FA which means you need your mobile phone near you as you never know when the system will randomly need you to authenticate. When the fact that most phones have Siri (or similar) to the security people they just said “make sure the phone is 2m away from you during work”. Either smart speakers are ok or they aren’t 🤔