Smart meters going loopy?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Is this a thing?

Daughter moved into a flat in September and switched to E-On in December. First meter reading was in the low 23,000s, she has submitted readings on a monthly basis, last one was just over 24,000. Went to take a reading today, it's saying 00572!

She's now worried she is going to get a bill for a couple of million quid 😀

It's a smart meter but they have not taken any remote readings as yet.

I have been round to double-check and she is reading it correctly.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I was told by the independent contractor who came to try and resolve a reading issue with my smart meter that they are awful contraptions - he suggested a huge percentage either don’t communicate with the provider or give false readings.

Since mine was installed by EDF I’ve had them contact me twice to say they weren’t getting electricity readings. That’s now been resolved, but on receipt of my last bill I noticed that I hadn’t paid for any gas use since September. I submitted a reading and then, lo and behold, this month when I checked it confirmed to me my meter isn’t registering gas use. EDF didn’t even know they weren’t billing me.

In forty plus years as an energy consumer I have had zero issues until a smart meter was foisted upon me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My Mrs aged aunt lived in a flat in Tranmere after her husband died...
The family set up the flat, all electric, and paid most of the bills between them..
Except the electricity.....
Got onto the supplier as listed on the meter and they had no knowledge of the property and confirmed, in writing, that they did not supply..
In the 14 years she lived there before she died last year there was never an electricity bill to pay..
Lord alone knows who was supplying it/paying for it...but it wasn't us!

D

Deleted member 35504

Is this a thing?

Daughter moved into a flat in September and switched to E-On in December. First meter reading was in the low 23,000s, she has submitted readings on a monthly basis, last one was just over 24,000. Went to take a reading today, it's saying 00572!

She's now worried she is going to get a bill for a couple of million quid 😀

It's a smart meter but they have not taken any remote readings as yet.

I have been round to double-check and she is reading it correctly.
Genuine question as I screwed up a couple of months ago...Is she reading the correct meter, and did she definitely show you to the correct one? ie was it definitely her who took the original readings on the same meter?
I know it sounds maybe a bit too obvious, but I had to phone back the gas people and tell them I'd given them a water meter reading :rolleyes:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Genuine question as I screwed up a couple of months ago...Is she reading the correct meter, and did she definitely show you to the correct one? ie was it definitely her who took the original readings on the same meter?
I know it sounds maybe a bit too obvious, but I had to phone back the gas people and tell them I'd given them a water meter reading :rolleyes:
It’s definitely the same meter, I checked the serial number. I also went round to double check.

My other thought was the 0527 reading was actually the time (it was taken at 17.33), but it definitely says kWh after the number.

D

Deleted member 35504

It’s definitely the same meter, I checked the serial number. I also went round to double check.

My other thought was the 0527 reading was actually the time (it was taken at 17.33), but it definitely says kWh after the number.
Very strange....I was nearly hoping it wasn't just me 😅

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Is the reading taken from the IHD (in home display) or the actual smart meter IE the bit in the meter cupboard

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the actual meter. First pic is 2nd Feb, 2nd pic is last night.

I can't explain how or why but online searches are suggesting rather than the meter readings it's now displaying how much energy has been used on that account, maybe eon have taken the meter onto account finally? I mean 527 KW between sept and now sounds about right for her usage or ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I can't explain how or why but online searches are suggesting rather than the meter readings it's now displaying how much energy has been used on that account, maybe eon have taken the meter onto account finally? I mean 527 KW between sept and now sounds about right for her usage or ?
You might be onto something there.

On her current tariff, 527 kwh and 31 days of the standing charge comes out at £156.50 which sounds reasonable for a month (2 bed all electric flat).

I noticed last night the meter is now displaying a monetary figure which I've never seen before. That was £162.82 which I assume is their calculation of the cost since the last bill, and is not a kick on the backside off my calculation.

But if they are making a change like like that, don't you think they would have told people?

Can you stick up a link to what you found online please?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You might be onto something there.

On her current tariff, 527 kwh and 31 days of the standing charge comes out at £156.50 which sounds reasonable for a month (2 bed all electric flat).

I noticed last night the meter is now displaying a monetary figure which I've never seen before. That was £162.82 which I assume is their calculation of the cost since the last bill, and is not a kick on the backside off my calculation.

But if they are making a change like like that, don't you think they would have told people?

Can you stick up a link to what you found online please?

Don't be ridiculous lol an energy company being proactive! Tbh they prob don't even realise they have made a change.

Seems reasonable for an all electric flat especially this time of year

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was told by the independent contractor who came to try and resolve a reading issue with my smart meter that they are awful contraptions - he suggested a huge percentage either don’t communicate with the provider or give false readings.

Since mine was installed by EDF I’ve had them contact me twice to say they weren’t getting electricity readings. That’s now been resolved, but on receipt of my last bill I noticed that I hadn’t paid for any gas use since September. I submitted a reading and then, lo and behold, this month when I checked it confirmed to me my meter isn’t registering gas use. EDF didn’t even know they weren’t billing me.

In forty plus years as an energy consumer I have had zero issues until a smart meter was foisted upon me.
Exactly the same thing happened to me.
Still havnt paid any arrears but have a new meter .
It’s great technology but not working properly

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The gas element of our smart meter has never worked. 3 different meters, the installer runs off before the meter is ever actually linked, 'don't worry, it will connect within the next 24 hours'. Never has done yet :rolleyes:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The gas element of our smart meter has never worked. 3 different meters, the installer runs off before the meter is ever actually linked, 'don't worry, it will connect within the next 24 hours'. Never has done yet :rolleyes:
Neither does ours. Still need to submit a reading every month. It's a bit irritating when they send me a statement, and I think "that's not bad", then I realise they haven't had a gas reading:)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My meters have been weird from the off since that were changed from ones fitted by Scottish Power to ones fitted by OVO.

The fitter could never get the gas one to talk to OVO from the off, however it would communicate with the in house display for me to get meter readings. (I put this lack of communication with OVO due to the location of the cupboard and poor mobile signal). The fitter gave up trying to get it to work after being here for (probably) well beyond his allocated time.

The electric one worked from the off in communicating with OVO but never would communicate with the in house display.

The gas one now communicates with OVO following the inhouse display being change.

My new in house display will not show meter readings for either just usage.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

And so it begins .......