Big TV screens

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A question for AV freaks / experts.

Not looking to buy right now, probably in about 3 months, but am looking for a big(ish) TV screen.

I went into Currys last night (it was next door to pets at home where I get my cat food - for my cat - obviously) so thought I'd have a looksey. Was accosted by numerous spotty teenagers looking for a sale, but didn't want to speak to any of them, as they are probably about as clueless as me, and will sell whatever they get the biggest margin on.

I had a wander around, and most of the screens were not showing moving pictures of any kind. Just some Sony generated programme which didn't do much, and didn't really show how good/bad the picture would be. One was showing a Rihanna video, and the quality was terrible (picture and content), one was showing some F1 (dreadful picture quality) and one was showing golf in 3D with no glasses available. Nothing really leapt out at me really, except the £2500 Samsung looked pretty special.

So, 50 inch (approx) screens were varying from £460 plasma to about £2500 LED. Technology varied from Plasma, LCD, LED back lit, 3D, etc.

I can sit 9 foot max from the screen, I don't play games, I don't need 3d, I don't TV shop, I don't want interactive this that or the other, I will never connect it to the internet. I also don't like surround sound (partially deaf in one ear, due to a nagging wife).

I would like to buy a telly, for watching Sky HD sport, Sky HD movies, and DVDs. I don't own a blue ray player, and probably never will. I have a window behind the sofa, but can draw the blinds to stop reflections.

So, what technology do I need, and how big a screen can I get away with? I would like a decent picture, and ok sound, for a sensible amount of money. I don't want to sit there and think I should have bought something better / different.

Anyone?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can get away with a 65+ inch TV with a viewing distance of 9 feet but that would be ridiculously large.

Take a look here:

http://www.thehighdefinitionstore.com/TV-Viewing-Distance-s/79.htm

Gives you some tips and also a table for viewing distances.

Personally, if you're sitting that far back (or a bit closer) a 46inch would be plenty big enough.

Sadly, most new TVs come with all sorts of technology you don't need.

For picture quality, I would happily recommend Samsung, LG or Sony, as I've had all three and have been very happy with both. Sony are a lot of money for what you get, but they tend to last (touch wood).

There is absolutely NO NEED to spend thousands on a TV unless you're a total AV geek...You seem to have the same mindset as me. You just want the picture to look good. LCD will be fine for that. And IIRC cheaper to repair, should you need it.

I've had a quick look at Digital Direct (where I've bought TV's in the past) and ANY of these would be perfectly good for what you need:

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/televisions/lcd-tv/46inch

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Samsung do a good basic range, we have one thats HD but has nothing fancy, there will be a TV out there for you I am sure, it might just take some finding! Mine had only built in digital TV tuner and program guide! I could have had freesat HD but that was about £60 more.

I thought of it much like buying a laptop, I did not need fingerprint/DNA ID log in, two 500TB hard drives in RAID-74, a blu-ray/sandwich toaster drive and go faster stripes. I wanted something with a fast processor, plenty of RAM for my non graphic heavy games and enough umpph to play counterstrike and teamfortress 2. Totol cost £350 and it works a treat!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Panasonic, you won't go wrong.............

Murph, go to www.avforums.com and check out the TV section for plasmas and lcd's etc best advise you will get. When you see one you want someone on AVF will know about its pro's and con's and best price and better alternatives.........and the good deals out there and the ones to avoid.

P.S def get a Blu-Ray player with USB slot, not expensive and you are missing out on stunning image quality for bluray golf dvd's or movies

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would like to buy a telly, for watching Sky HD sport, Sky HD movies, and DVDs.

Anyone?

Sport is fast moving so you need a TV that can handle fast action, otherwise you get a blocky picture. Look out for refresh rates. In general, at least 100Hz and above.

Movies requires good contrast and good black definition. Look out for the best contrast ratio you can get for your budget.

HD - preferable to have full HD (1080p) on large screens (40" plus).

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last edited:

DCB

Visit site
Not got a Richer Sounds anywhere near you Murph ? They helped me out really well when getting my first new flat screen a few years back.

very competitive costs as well.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got a 200Hz 42" Samung 3d in the currys sale last year for £850 with blu-ray. Usually sit between 4 and 6 feet away so more than ample. Excellent for HD and standard stuff. Even streaming on sky player and iplay looks great. The 3D is alright but as you don't want/need it then nothing stopping you from getting a similar spec standard TV. Samsung tend to have good quality screens.

Brand choice is down to you. Most of the bigger brands do quality screens at a resaonable price. Don't forget about checking out LG though. They have gone from budget "it'll do" products to some very impressive gea. Oh and remember to look for high refresh rate (at least 100Hz).

The one thing with most of the flats is they generally have poor sound quality due to speaker design being more about space taken than sound quality. Espeacially when you move toward LED screens. Don't get me wrong. Most are more than adequate but for the best wthout getting full surround then consider getting a sound bar along with the TV.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Samsung every time, their 200Hz blows anything LG have out of the water (we have a Samsung in the living room and a LG in the Sunroom and the Samsung is much better picture wise.)

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anything above 32" and you need to go for Plasma. Especially for sports.

As others have said, you need to look at the blacks, this is where you will see the quality of the picture.

I think it's the 4 main manufacturers who make everything in their TV's, inlcuding screen; Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and LG. The rest get their screens etc from one of this lot, so best to keep to these 4 if possible. All 4 are great and will suit you down to the ground.

I have a large Panasonic in the lounge and a smaller 32" Samsung in the bedroom. The Panasonic is the better tv, but I carefully looked at models for a while and sought reviews etc before I bought. For the Samsung I just went to John Lewis, chose the best one I could find there and then for little money (was around £200-£280 ish I think), wrote the model number down and searched online for the cheapest price and bought that.

Choose a couple of TV's you like the look of and read the online reviews and you cant really go wrong.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've had 3 LCD's (2 Samsungs and 1 Toshiba) over the years and now have a 50" Panasonic plasma. Love the Panasonic and it wasn't expensive either.
I sit about 10 feet away from the TV and wouldn't want to go any bigger on screen size. My Missus complains it's too big but she will quite happily watch it when there is something decent on and not complain!
The only telly I've seen recently that has got me remotely interested in changing is this one from Samsung...
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE46D7000LUXXU

It's an absolutely stunning TV "in the flesh"...the bezel is sooooo slim, it looks superb and has beautiful picture quality. But, like you I don't particularly want 3D, "smart TV" that sort of thing so it has features on there that I wouldn't even use. But I'd buy it for it's looks alone. It would look just like a postcard hanging on the wall, it's just beautifully designed.
But I'm not paying that for a telly. If they did a "standard" telly in that exact same frame I would buy one tomorrow.
I'll stick with my Panasonic for now as it really hasn't given me any trouble and I am more than happy with the picture quality.
And buy a Blu-ray player. You really will be missing out on some fantastic detail if you don't. They are so cheap nowadays, you can buy a really decent one for under £100.00.
I've got the Blue Planet and Frozen Planet boxed sets on Blu ray and to watch them in High Definition on a decent television is a real treat. Absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most people rave about Panasonic plasmas, although they are quite pricey. My dad has a 47" Panasonic LED which I think is brilliant quality but I suppose it depends on which picture you prefer as plasma/leds give slightly different picture types.

I've always found the guys at Richer Sounds to be pretty genuine when giving advice and I would try one of their stores out if possible.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a Panasonic downstairs and it's beats my lg upstairs hands down. They're both 1080 but the lg struggles when the picture gets busy with bright lights etc. Panasonic all the way for me.

Also recommend the avforum to get proper opinions when you narrow your choice down.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Big fan of the service you get at John Lewis...

Don't think you can go wrong with a plasma from Panasonic...

Mine in modern thinking is relatively small at 42" but for me is plenty ample for a similiar viewing distance [approx 9']... Its 100Mhz which is pretty much the minimum for sports watching... Rather anally one of the reasons I chose it was that its surround has a matt finish where as most others have a glossy finish... Doesn't matter how narrow the bezel I find glossy finish creates reflections that I find distracting...