Computer help please

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I currently use a Beelink mini Pc with AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz
32 gb Ram
2 x 500gb memory
Windows 11 Pro
62 Mbps fibre
Extended displays (monitor and Tv)
I thought it was a good set up but it still seems to buffer You tube videos on the Tv if I'm surfing the net at the same time on the monitor
So will upgrading to a Ryzen 9 help or maybe better HDMI cables?
Any advice welcomed
Thanks

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not an expert by any means but the issue may well be with the graphics handling, albeit not sure you have many upgrade options in the mini pc to add a separate graphics card?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bob, cheapest way to upgrade graphics is to put 2 cards togethers and not buy a standalone expensive one.
Also check you ram slots your running 32gb if it’s 4x8 you could step it up to 4x16 etc ..

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many factors could be at play. Upgrading the APU is not going to solve it as the iGPU on both is, essentially, the same core and if anything a R9 is going to have a higher TDP (draw more power, which in turn creates more heat).

The amount of RAM is important, but what is more important is the speed, the brand (usually defines the memory die standard) and, crucially, if the kits match (note, even buying two 16gb kits from the same manufacturer doesn't mean that they are matched), as this can cause instabilities.

However, in the case of simple video rendering the RAM isn't really a factor and even 8Gb will do for basic rendering. What is probably more on an impacting factor is heat. Ultra small form factor (USFF) PCs are great as space saving devices but they suffer from thermal throttling like nothing else. Usually passive coolers are the culprit.

The chassis won't support a GPU even the smallest form factor card won't fit, let alone an SLi array. Although many benchmarks show that SLi set-ups don't come close to matching standalone modern GPUs, hence why it's not really a thing anymore.

I'd install a monitoring app like HWMonitor and see what the temps are doing when load is being placed on it. As you add more load, do they spike? Are they above the system builder's or the APU's throttling limits? If it is thermal then you'd need to look at what options for cooling you have.

The USFF boom was short lived a couple of years ago as people started to realise the real world limitations.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I currently use a Beelink mini Pc with AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz
32 gb Ram
2 x 500gb memory
Windows 11 Pro
62 Mbps fibre
Extended displays (monitor and Tv)
I thought it was a good set up but it still seems to buffer You tube videos on the Tv if I'm surfing the net at the same time on the monitor
So will upgrading to a Ryzen 9 help or maybe better HDMI cables?
Any advice welcomed
Thanks

Are you watching 4K content... my first thought was bandwidth rather than computer. does it happen all the time??
Do u have buffering if you are watching regular streaming service like Netflix..

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you watching 4K content... my first thought was bandwidth rather than computer. does it happen all the time??
Do u have buffering if you are watching regular streaming service like Netflix..
Most content on Youtube is 1080p I think. And even so, 68meg should be fine for 4k streaming.

Unless of course there's a poor wifi signal. It seems to be a question of load. Whether that is hardware, software or a combination of both is hard to determine remotely.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I downloaded and ran the HWMonitor
Loads of info, so much in fact I didn't know what I was looking at
There is a list of core temps for the APU (CPU) will list the temps of all the physical cores. But there will (or should be) a packet CPU temp. That and the Core 0 temp are the ones to watch.

dprees

Visit site
The two places to look first are the connection from your Beelink to the router, and the router to the internet. Both of these can introduce delays when watching streamed content such as Youtube, etc.

You give us the speed of your router to internet connection, and at 62Mbps that should be sufficient for watching streaming content -- that's the speed I get, and Youtube works fine (very rarely, there can be an interruption for up to a minute, but this happens only every other month or so). To check that your internet speed is not an issue, run a broadband speed checker in your browser, and do it at multiple times of the day, to ensure you are getting the speed you expect. Apart from the download speed (should be close to 60MBps) keep an eye on the Ping speed -- if this is less than 35ms, it's OK--over 100ms, there is definitely an issue.

More likely, in my view, is the connection from the Beelink to the router. If this is an direct ethernet connection, all should be well, though ensure the ethernet cable has not been severely kinked/bent. If you have an ethernet switch between these devices, these can degrade--I had a Netgear unit which started to run slowly, after many years of sterling service. It took some thracking down, since it did still pass traffic--though slowly. Once I swapped it out for a new unit, speeds went way up again.

Of course, you may be using WiFi to connect the Beelink to the router. WiFi speed and responsiveness depends upon several factors:
1) How far apart the PC and router are
2) What sort of wall / floor materials the wifi signal must pass through
3) Which Wifi standard is being used
4) Whether the signal is passing over the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band (latter can be faster, but degrades more with distance)
5) Possible interference from other WiFi systems (neighbours), or interference from nearly electrical equipment (microwaves, etc).

The Beelink config you have is excellent -- an upgrade will not likely solve this issue. Look to the connectivity to the internet.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The two places to look first are the connection from your Beelink to the router, and the router to the internet. Both of these can introduce delays when watching streamed content such as Youtube, etc.

You give us the speed of your router to internet connection, and at 62Mbps that should be sufficient for watching streaming content -- that's the speed I get, and Youtube works fine (very rarely, there can be an interruption for up to a minute, but this happens only every other month or so). To check that your internet speed is not an issue, run a broadband speed checker in your browser, and do it at multiple times of the day, to ensure you are getting the speed you expect. Apart from the download speed (should be close to 60MBps) keep an eye on the Ping speed -- if this is less than 35ms, it's OK--over 100ms, there is definitely an issue.

More likely, in my view, is the connection from the Beelink to the router. If this is an direct ethernet connection, all should be well, though ensure the ethernet cable has not been severely kinked/bent. If you have an ethernet switch between these devices, these can degrade--I had a Netgear unit which started to run slowly, after many years of sterling service. It took some thracking down, since it did still pass traffic--though slowly. Once I swapped it out for a new unit, speeds went way up again.

Of course, you may be using WiFi to connect the Beelink to the router. WiFi speed and responsiveness depends upon several factors:
1) How far apart the PC and router are
2) What sort of wall / floor materials the wifi signal must pass through
3) Which Wifi standard is being used
4) Whether the signal is passing over the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band (latter can be faster, but degrades more with distance)
5) Possible interference from other WiFi systems (neighbours), or interference from nearly electrical equipment (microwaves, etc).

The Beelink config you have is excellent -- an upgrade will not likely solve this issue. Look to the connectivity to the internet.
Thanks for that.
I'll check the connections/cables
Is that under load or just idle?
Idle I think

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you see YouTube buffering when you mirror displays instead of extending them?

Press “Windows Key + P” and it will cycle between display modes.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you see YouTube buffering when you mirror displays instead of extending them?

Press “Windows Key + P” and it will cycle between display modes.
I don't normally mirror the displays just extend them so youtube is on the tv while firefox amazon is on the monitor

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't normally mirror the displays just extend them so youtube is on the tv while firefox amazon is on the monitor

Yep. So testing if it the problem happens while it’s mirrored instead of extending will rule out a bunch of network (edit: and other) issues and help narrow down the cause.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another bit of helpful info. On the YouTube video window while it’s playing and exhibiting the buffering. Right click and select (insect icon) Stats For Nerds.

What does the player say about the buffer health and video resolution?

Windows key + shift + S to snipping tool screenshot and paste the image.