Smart TV advice required

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure that I came across a wireless soundbox yesterday...

I'm guessing the sound won't be too weird as I currently have my TV connected to my amp and the speakers are on a wall side-on to the TV - effectively almost behind as you watch. So I keep the TV volume on low - but sufficient that there is sound coming fro the 'right' direction (from the TV) backed up by my speakers. So having a soundbox laterally displaced I'm guessing will hardly be noticeable in the surround-sound scheme of things.

btw - my Mrs asked this morning when we are going to buy this new TV :) Her rationale for getting the TV is not quite the same as mine. She thinks having a new wall-mounted flat screen will complement our completely refurbished back room and make it look more modern (in a period house) - and she wants that look for when we come to sell.

They're all the same :smirk:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll look into the magic eye - at first reading it seems that I'd have top have a co-axial running from my back room to the Sky Box in the front room - and that might be difficult as getting it under floor boards not that straightforward.

Also - daft question but to be asked in any case.

I fancy a sound box also - but it wouldn't be able to sit directly under the TV, Instead I'd have to have it sitting in an alcove to the side of the chimney breast where I'd have the TV mounted (maybe 3ft laterally centre of TV to centre of sound box). Will that sound weird - or should it be OK?

Personslly I wouldnt have a sound source (especially a single unit providing stereo sound or better) off to the side. This will create a weird audio visual disconnect IMO.
The resson speakers 3 or 4 feet away work is that you generally have one either side that provide balance.
I would suggest a soundbar and wall mounting it under the TV centrally as this will sound much better.

I did this for the in laws as they had a soundbar sitting on a unit below the wall mounted TV but maybe a foot offset due to a radiator and it sounded odd.
Now 4"under the TV wall mounted with cable wrap around the cables to masque them and it looks and sounds much, much better.
A decent sound bar wont be much different to a sound base IMO.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Change of mind going on. My Better-Obeyed (after conflab with best friend) has decided that she doesn't want TV wall-mounted as we've just had the room walls re-plastered and doesn't want them disturbed in any way - so running a conduit out of the question - and she won't have unsightly cables. Alternative is to have new TV on a sideboard - which means we could have TV sitting on top of a soundbox - assuming a sound box can take the weight of a TV? Or sound bar sitting in front of the TV stand - which feels a better option given sound from a £250-£300 soundbar is going to be similar that from a sound box costing the same.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Change of mind going on. My Better-Obeyed (after conflab with best friend) has decided that she doesn't want TV wall-mounted as we've just had the room walls re-plastered and doesn't want them disturbed in any way - so running a conduit out of the question - and she won't have unsightly cables. Alternative is to have new TV on a sideboard - which means we could have TV sitting on top of a soundbox - assuming a sound box can take the weight of a TV? Or sound bar sitting in front of the TV stand - which feels a better option given sound from a £250-£300 soundbar is going to be similar that from a sound box costing the same.

What about something like this http://www.tesco.com/direct/avf-aff...walnut/382-2194.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=382-2194

Or something on that theme of a tall stand designed to make it look sort of wall wounted (height wise) but without the wall drill holes.
Also shelves for AV units. There are some that have mounts in the riser for soundbars etc.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What about something like this http://www.tesco.com/direct/avf-aff...walnut/382-2194.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=382-2194

Or something on that theme of a tall stand designed to make it look sort of wall wounted (height wise) but without the wall drill holes.
Also shelves for AV units. There are some that have mounts in the riser for soundbars etc.

The main issue was the cabling. A stand wouldn't work (nice idea though) as the original spot for wall-mounting was over a feature period fireplace (not in use).

Besides - OHs friend commented that above the fireplace position was opposite the door into the room - and you don't want to be going into a room looking straight at the TV - I can get that. So standing it on the sideboard we have in the room (no point in wall mounting it above the sideboard - when the height of the sideboard is right) works. And then no issue with soundbox (TV on top) or soundbar (in front of TV) not being centred with the TV and all cabling hidden behind sideboard.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So in striking while the iron is hot - I'm off to Currys/PC World right now to have an initial investigate to get a feel for things and a look at bigger TVs.

C

c1973

If you go for a soundbar make sure to check it will not block out the bottom of your new tv. The newer ones seem to have a much lower profile (maybe 2" stands). Some soundbars I looked at actually blocked a tiny bit of the bottom of the screen when placed in front of the tv (not an issue if wall mounted though), might not be an issue for you but it was very off puting for me.

You wouldn't have that issue with a soundbase (which will take the weight of your tv...but again, check).

As Greig says, I'd avoid having my sound source to the side of the tv.

Happy hunting. :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you go for a soundbar make sure to check it will not block out the bottom of your new tv. The newer ones seem to have a much lower profile (maybe 2" stands). Some soundbars I looked at actually blocked a tiny bit of the bottom of the screen when placed in front of the tv (not an issue if wall mounted though), might not be an issue for you but it was very off puting for me.

You wouldn't have that issue with a soundbase (which will take the weight of your tv...but again, check).

As Greig says, I'd avoid having my sound source to the side of the tv.

Happy hunting. :)

Thanks for that. I'd not thought about some soundbars being of a size that sitting in front of the TYV they block bottom of the screen. Thinking more likely to go soundbox route with TV on top.

On 'silly' thing I have been wondering about when screens are wall mounted. Many seem to have them mounted quite high on the wall - and way above eye-level when sitting viewing. Don't you feel you are looking up all the time?

Also we have had our bathroom refurbishment finished this morning and Mrs is feeling really good about it. This positivity increases the likelihood that I'll be allowed to spend money on a TV and Soundbar/box. Yes - I know. You;d think the two wouldn;t be linked - however in the minds of...'

Last edited: