Feeds for new TV

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Off back of my random irritation post. New OLED TV needs my main SkyQ box colocated to be able to feed Ultra HD to it, unfortunately the main box is in the wrong room.

I am going to have to get the two feeds from the Sky disk rerouted, but Question…do I also have to have the feed from the roof aerial also rerouted to the back room? I guess not but that means I’m Sky only in backroom and no Freeview?

Or do Sky provide all or at least most Freeview channels. I never currently switch my TV feed from Sky box to Digital (aerial). But I can’t connect my aerial feed to a Sky mini box. So if I want aerial fed Freeview in the house I’ll have to reroute the roof aerial into the back room also. Maybe I just won’t bother with the aerial feed at all and just do all Sky dish.

Thoughts please from any out there who know about this sort of thing. I‘ve already hit the limit of my understanding (and I’m about to start 😥 with frustration and irritation).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sky has the majority of freeview channels.

If it bothers you get an indoor aerial.
Ok - thought so as I never watch digital/aerial TV and I don’t feel I’m missing anything.

Just going to have to get the sky feed put into the back room without making too much mess of our lovely new plastering.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sky has the majority of freeview channels.

If it bothers you get an indoor aerial.
Did a bit of research into Freeview, and what happens if I (or anyone else moving into our house) stop or don’t have Sky subscription. It seems that I don’t need a terrestrial (aerial) feed to get Freeview channels, I can buy a Freesat box and connect it to our Sky dish. Or just stick a Firestick into the TV…though I don‘t think you get all Freeview channels with one of these unless you download and install a Freeview side app on it.

With there being a satellite dish in place no rooftop aerial feed is required. That being the case I won’t bother rerouting the feed from the roof aerial into our back room.

I hope that I am correct?

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did a bit of research into Freeview, and what happens if I (or anyone else moving into our house) stop or don’t have Sky subscription. It seems that I don’t need a terrestrial (aerial) feed to get Freeview channels, I can buy a Freesat box and connect it to our Sky dish. Or just stick a Firestick into the TV…though I don‘t think you get all Freeview channels with one of these unless you download and install a Freeview side app on it.

With there being a satellite dish in place no rooftop aerial feed is required. That being the case I won’t bother rerouting the feed from the roof aerial into our back room.

I hope that I am correct?
It will depend on what type of LNB there is in the dish (the LNB is the bit in the middle of the dish that the cables come from) it can be changed from one type to another without the need to change the dish itself.

If you have a SKY HD box you can just plug the cables straight in

If you a have a single Sky Q LNB in the dish you cannot buy a standard sat box. You have to buy one which works with a wideband signal.

If you have a hybrid LNB in the dish (this one is obvious as you can see it can have 6 cables going in to it) you can have both SKY Q and freesat (with separate leads to each box).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It will depend on what type of LNB there is in the dish (the LNB is the bit in the middle of the dish that the cables come from) it can be changed from one type to another without the need to change the dish itself.

If you have a SKY HD box you can just plug the cables straight in

If you a have a single Sky Q LNB in the dish you cannot buy a standard sat box. You have to buy one which works with a wideband signal.

If you have a hybrid LNB in the dish (this one is obvious as you can see it can have 6 cables going in to it) you can have both SKY Q and freesat (with separate leads to each box).
I’m not so concerned about what I need at the moment as Sky Q does all I need and I’ll reroute the cabling from the dish for that. I’m just thinking about whether or not I need bother rerouting my roof aerial into the back room in the event of not having Sky…either myself or a new owner. Would a roof aerial be a necessity? Can’t see that it is, and if it was for a new owner then I am thinking that they can put it in.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I don’t know if I have grasped quiet what you are trying to do,
You want to place your main Sky Q box in the back room to enable 4K UHD on your new tv.
I would install a new feed from your dish to the back room leaving the existing cable where it is just in case.
Regarding Freeview, I think you have that covered and no need to worry about anybody else should you sell the house.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don’t know if I have grasped quiet what you are trying to do,
You want to place your main Sky Q box in the back room to enable 4K UHD on your new tv.
I would install a new feed from your dish to the back room leaving the existing cable where it is just in case.
Regarding Freeview, I think you have that covered and no need to worry about anybody else should you sell the house.
Good thinking…didn’t consider the possibility of adding an additional connection to the dish - or disconnecting the existing one from the dish but leaving it in place.👍

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My current Panasonic OLED has freesat built into it. I just connect the redundant Sky dish via the coax cable to the back of the tv and I have freesat to view. I also have freebies built in(which I don’t watch) and Virgin connected by their box and Broadband.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sky Stream works off wifi rather than a connection to your dish and supports UHD, so that would be worth looking at.

Sky Stream vs Sky Q: verdict

The new way to watch Sky is also the best. Sky Stream is cheaper than Sky Q, easier to set up, and offers a slicker, more modern interface. It also includes HD as standard, without an extra monthly fee.

The two main downsides against Sky Stream are the lack of a hard drive, which means you can't 'record' absolutely everything, and the slight delay in its streams when compared to Q. Most users will rarely, if ever, be significantly inconvenienced by these slight flaws, though, so overall the pros of Stream far outweigh its cons.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sky provide virtually all what is on Freeview, no need to have a roof aerial at all unless you want a backup in case the Sky dish fails or you suffer from bad weather issues. dishes are more prblematic in high winds than TV aerials. Anything you view through your Sky Q will be via the dish not through your aerial so as you never switch from Sky to aerial you will notice no difference. Only downside is if you decide to ditch Sky or sell your house you would have no Freeview alternative, but you can use the newer 4K Freesat boxes with a Sky Q LNB.