A Couple of Qs for Audiophiles

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have got my Dunlop Systemdek turntable back up and running with my vintage 1975 Rotel RX-402 Receiver. Couple of Qs.

I need a set of headphones, but is there any way I can go wireless, plugging some form of analogue to wireless converter transmitter thingy into the receiver‘s 3.5mm output (headphone) socket.

Similar to above…is there a wireless/Bluetooth thingy I can plug into the receiver (same 3.5mm socket?) to send the audio from the receiver to my Yamaha Soundbar. May be the same solution to my headphone question.

I‘ve done a bit of research but not found any definitive solutions - maybe for the first Q but not for the second so wondering if anyone has a working solution for either or both.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have got my Dunlop Systemdek turntable back up and running with my vintage 1975 Rotel RX-402 Receiver. Couple of Qs.

I need a set of headphones, but is there any way I can go wireless, plugging some form of analogue to wireless converter transmitter thingy into the receiver‘s 3.5mm output (headphone) socket.

Similar to above…is there a wireless/Bluetooth thingy I can plug into the receiver (same 3.5mm socket?) to send the audio from the receiver to my Yamaha Soundbar. May be the same solution to my headphone question.

I‘ve done a bit of research but not found any definitive solutions - maybe for the first Q but not for the second so wondering if anyone has a working solution for either or both.

I don't know but the Av Forums will be able to help.

AV Forums

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes and yes.

You can buy plug in bluetooth transmitters. They are normally powered by a USB socket though so you may also need a phone charger plug and you may need a headphone converter if you have got the headphone jack size wrong, I would expect a 1975 amp to have a 6.35 (.25") socket.

They are quite cheap to buy.

My bluetooth transmitter also doubles as a receiver.

e.g https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38559184...JVS7IfTK7h4+A7nl8FvKtdNKw=|tkp:Bk9SR_TFrprMYg

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Companies like Sennheiser do a ranger of “sound base” wireless headphones.

The idea is a wireless and/or Bluetooth transmitter base it plugged directly in to the 3.5mm Jack.

Having tried cheap Bluetooth transmitters the sound is not the best quality.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting. Why not just use your speakers for an authentic experience?

My kit (Nad turntable, 3020 amp, Tannoy speakers and about 200 LPs) is in the loft, must get it out at some point.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

My kit (Nad turntable, 3020 amp, Tannoy speakers and about 200 LPs) is in the loft, must get it out at some point.
We live in a semi with elderly neighbours and sometimes of an evening I’d just like to listen nice and loud.

Besides, I need to do quite a bit of sorting out of the speaker cabling (and checking the phasing) plus my Mrs is not happy with speakers being prominent in our front room and will prefer them tucked out of the way and out of sight if possible - not exactly conducive to the best listening experience.

I‘d also like to be able to put a record on in our front room and listen to it in our back room through our tv Soundbar (no chance of me getting another pair of speakers in the back room unless wireless so same issue)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We live in a semi with elderly neighbours and sometimes of an evening I’d just like to listen nice and loud.
Just keep in mind that the thing which most influences the feeling of "nice and loud" is the impact of bass on the body, rather than what's entering your ears. Which means that if you're using headphones, to achieve a sense of "nice and loud" generally requires turning it up to a potentially damaging level. Be careful.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just keep in mind that the thing which most influences the feeling of "nice and loud" is the impact of bass on the body, rather than what's entering your ears. Which means that if you're using headphones, to achieve a sense of "nice and loud" generally requires turning it up to a potentially damaging level. Be careful.
…by which I suppose I mean ’not deathly quiet’…but yes…your point is taken 👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The experience of listening to music with a set of really good headphones is another experience in itself. You get to fully appreciate the stereo effects in much more detail .

Last night I lay in bed listening to Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure and I think headphones are the best way to listen to it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't have anything more helpful to add (sorry), but I do have a Dunlop systemdek in my loft...
It's the one that looks like a pressure cooker (2?). I'll have to dig out out one day, but I wonder if the bearing will need oiling and I haven't the foggiest idea where to start. Belt is probably a bit ragged by now as well. Also will have to get a dust cover , as it's pretty impractical without one. Vintage 1982 iirc.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The experience of listening to music with a set of really good headphones is another experience in itself. You get to fully appreciate the stereo effects in much more detail .

Last night I lay in bed listening to Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure and I think headphones are the best way to listen to it.
Listening through headphones and speakers are two entirely different experiences.

Headphones reveal inner detail that is far more difficult to hear on speakers.
But if you want to experience the "structural impact" of the music (can't think of a better term), you need to move serious amounts of air, and that only comes from a good set of speakers.