The farce that is Superfast Cornwall.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
For about 3 years we have had it all over the news that we will ALL have access to superfast broadband across Cornwall. We have all watched with anticipation as the BT teams layed the fibre optic cables to the green boxes that supply us all with our telephone supply taking weeks as they threaded them down the back lanes. At the begining of December two BT engineers spent 4 DAYS in their little tents as they connected the fibre optic supply to the green box for the combined system they are running for rural areas.
Working in the local petrol station we had one of the engineers in who has been working on the system in our area and he explained that you had to be withing 1000 metres of the green box to get the superfast service. This evening I used google earth to measure the distance from the box to my house which came out at 1349 meters from the box. I then had a look to see where 1000 metres came to and it's at the far end of the village with just 38 homes and 5 businesses within the 1000 metre limit. So for around 3 weeks work involving about 6 engineers they have covered just 43 potential customers with most of them probably not bothering as they are elderly with a lot not even having internet connections in the first place.
To any BT engineers, is the 1000 metre limit from the green box the limit or do you start to lose speed the further from that box and if so how much do you lose?
If it is then it seems rediculous to have spent so much money on a system that serves so few.
Rant over!:rant:

DCB

Visit site
I wouldn't worry, they never got things right with broadband over copper to rural communities, so what makes you think they'll get it right over fibre ;)

I live in a village that had huge drop off in speed the further down the main street you went. Probably didn't help that everything from copper, aluminium and wet string was used at some point between the village and the exchange :(

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A Mate of mine lived on the Estate next to APGC where I play. His was in the first batch of 20 out of God-knows-how-many they built.
Although they used phone line off sufficient quality to manage phone calls it wasn't good enough to handle broadband. Cable wasn't laid down their street so for 10 years they struggled to get any sort of connection. The phone company said they couldn't justify recabling the street as that in place handled calls.........
Ludicrous..
They've now moved to the other side of the Estate and are back in the 21st Century....

And this is Aylesbury - 45 miles from London!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
ooo im a pitching wedge away from ours.
ive heard that there is only about 20% available for superfast out of that green box. if everyone WANTED superfast they would have to lay loads loads loads more cable (so ive heard)

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if only %20 can get superfast through the green box and if so few people want superfast in rural areas so say 10% of that 20% then out of 38 homes that are going to have access to superfast in our village then ONE person is going to take up superfast! So hundreds of thousands of pounds have been spent for ONE person to have superfast, whereas if they had spent the money to lay cables into the heard of th village then I know at least 30 people who want superfast at the other end of the village. Surely this would have made more sense!

Where are you in North Ayrshire BG as my missus is from Ayr.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
You want superfast - I've got it. After an epic battle with BT for the last 6 weeks, my broadband speed today magically increased from 0.13 Mbps to 0.73 Mbps. I don't really care about the actual speed but the triumph is that BT admitted that they were at fault.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if only %20 can get superfast through the green box and if so few people want superfast in rural areas so say 10% of that 20% then out of 38 homes that are going to have access to superfast in our village then ONE person is going to take up superfast! So hundreds of thousands of pounds have been spent for ONE person to have superfast, whereas if they had spent the money to lay cables into the heard of th village then I know at least 30 people who want superfast at the other end of the village. Surely this would have made more sense!

Where are you in North Ayrshire BG as my missus is from Ayr.

mm some of the boxes currently handle over 250 houses, it is all percentages. im sure theres a telecoms engineer on here who will know the deal with what they can handle.
im from ardrossan

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
mm some of the boxes currently handle over 250 houses, it is all percentages. im sure theres a telecoms engineer on here who will know the deal with what they can handle.
im from ardrossan

Th box deals with about 200 homes but only 38 are within the 1000 metre range for superfast.