Speed Limit sign

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I read a piece a couple of days ago. It was about the tolerances that different police forces have when considering drivers who have been clocked as speeding. The difference in “ accepted “ tolerances was truly head scratching.

The rule of thumb used to be 10% + 2mph - so you would only be prosecuted for speeding in a 40mph limit if you were doing 46mph or more. That used to be nationwide as they were ACPO guidelines.

I’m not sure if the same standards apply today, although I suspect not. I heard, anecdotally I must stress, that motorway cameras in a neighbouring force area to the one in which I served were set in recent years at 85mph. The rationale, I was told, was that they simply didn’t have the civilian office staff available to process the huge number of drivers exceeding the 70mph limit (plus whatever tolerance they applied), so opted for 85.

Certainly, when I worked on the motorways, I wouldn’t even have looked at a driver for speeding unless they were travelling well over 80-85mph. Otherwise I’d never have made it in for tea and doughnuts ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The rule of thumb used to be 10% + 2mph - so you would only be prosecuted for speeding in a 40mph limit if you were doing 46mph or more. That used to be nationwide as they were ACPO guidelines.

I’m not sure if the same standards apply today, although I suspect not. I heard, anecdotally I must stress, that motorway cameras in a neighbouring force area to the one in which I served were set in recent years at 85mph. The rationale, I was told, was that they simply didn’t have the civilian office staff available to process the huge number of drivers exceeding the 70mph limit (plus whatever tolerance they applied), so opted for 85.

Certainly, when I worked on the motorways, I wouldn’t even have looked at a driver for speeding unless they were travelling well over 80-85mph. Otherwise I’d never have made it in for tea and doughnuts ?

Am sure the piece I read from from an insurance company who had asked police forces there tolerances. Some inc Notts refused to divulge the info. Re speeding on motorways. I suppose one has to be savvy when mentioning driving over 70, after all speeding does kill. But for me there’s a massive difference between someone doing 73,4,5 mph and someone doing in excess of a ton.
That said am sure I can think of worse things folk do on motorways than speeding.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Am sure the piece I read from from an insurance company who had asked police forces there tolerances. Some inc Notts refused to divulge the info. Re speeding on motorways. I suppose one has to be savvy when mentioning driving over 70, after all speeding does kill. But for me there’s a massive difference between someone doing 73,4,5 mph and someone doing in excess of a ton.
That said am sure I can think of worse things folk do on motorways than speeding.
Cruising 73 or 74 in traffic must be safer than going 68 with everyone having to go around.

What I am most worried about on motorways is tailgating.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
On the subject of signs. NSL sign needs to just display the speed. Rather than some ambiguous sign. Seems people think it means do 35mph and create a nose to tail snake of irritated people behind.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Cruising 73 or 74 in traffic must be safer than going 68 with everyone having to go around.

What I am most worried about on motorways is tailgating.

I always feel a bit frustrated when I see an old dear cruising down the inside lane of a motorway at 50mph and looking terrified as they're being slowly overtaken by HGVs. Surely it would be a lot less terrifying to go 56 or 57 mph and at least match the limited speed of the HGVs to avoid being constantly overtaken by them?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I always feel a bit frustrated when I see an old dear cruising down the inside lane of a motorway at 50mph and looking terrified as they're being slowly overtaken by HGVs. Surely it would be a lot less terrifying to go 56 or 57 mph and at least match the limited speed of the HGVs to avoid being constantly overtaken by them?

My lad is a class one lorry driver and he said the amount of times he has been brake tested whilst carrying a full load, well he has lost count. He drives at 56 and yet again the times he has had to undertake cars that are sat in the middle lane. Yet if you pull out to the middle lane so they can move to the inside, a blast on the horn results in a middle finger ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
This is a dual carriageway very near to where I live - lovely trees in the central reservation. 40mph signs repeatedly in both directions. Residential streets on the left and on the right (out of picture) are the entrance/exit to a hospital and the County Council offices complex. Many workers have to park in the residential streets and cross this road to get to/from work. In this shot is one such pedestrian gap.
I will dare to say that the majority of cars exceed 50mph in both directions every day with no reprisals.

40 road.jpg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the subject of signs. NSL sign needs to just display the speed. Rather than some ambiguous sign. Seems people think it means do 35mph and create a nose to tail snake of irritated people behind.

I disagree , as national is different to different vehicle types .. so put up 70 and that's incorrect for those towing trailers .. lorries etc

I did a speed awareness course a few years ago and the bit that hit home was the 100mph stat

If traveling at 70 you will stop at point X

If traveling at 100 and you full brake you will still be traveling at 70 when you hit X

Just sent shivers

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The motorway speed needs a bit of pragmatism. People can be within the limits but still driving dangerously- tail gaters and lane swappers /undertakers cause mayhem.
The speed stuff is usually taken care of by the traffic volume, and excessive speed usually occurs by those who have a total disregard or the motorway is clear and safe to do so.
I blame the Germans for making cars unnecessarily fast - shows that they have no care for the environment as well. It drives weight into the vehicles to get the high speed fade test passes and tyre weight in to get the whole performance.. 90mph is fast enough for everyone

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The motorway speed needs a bit of pragmatism. People can be within the limits but still driving dangerously- tail gaters and lane swappers /undertakers cause mayhem.
The speed stuff is usually taken care of by the traffic volume, and excessive speed usually occurs by those who have a total disregard or the motorway is clear and safe to do so.
I blame the Germans for making cars unnecessarily fast - shows that they have no care for the environment as well. It drives weight into the vehicles to get the high speed fade test passes and tyre weight in to get the whole performance.. 90mph is fast enough for everyone
I blame the people who buy them and drive them.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I blame the people who buy them and drive them.
Germany has unrestricted road speeds and then the media use this to play manufacturers off against each other.
I had to deliver a tyre for a car capable of 205mph . The tyre durability test requires 20-30mins of running at that speed. The car could not run at that speed for that time period due to cooling. Then add into it took up to a mile to get to that speed .. you can see where this is going.. all because there is a derestricted part of autobahn that quite possibly a customer could go and find that out .. remove the opportunity limit the speeds .. it’s simple.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I disagree , as national is different to different vehicle types .. so put up 70 and that's incorrect for those towing trailers .. lorries etc

I did a speed awareness course a few years ago and the bit that hit home was the 100mph stat

If traveling at 70 you will stop at point X

If traveling at 100 and you full brake you will still be traveling at 70 when you hit X

Just sent shivers

Exactly the same for me!

With the addition of: If doing 80 and applying brakes fully you'll be doing 30 at point X.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly the same for me!

With the addition of: If doing 80 and applying brakes fully you'll be doing 30 at point X.

Yeah, that was a bit shocking, didn't stay with me as much ( I had forgotten) but my big cars speed limiter is set to 75 to give me a bing if I go over. Not worth it

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I thought this thread would promote some level of discussion.
It's funny how breaking the speed limit seems to be an acceptable breaking of the law. I really do my best not to break speed limits. In 30mph areas it's a definite no-no as they are often in areas where somebody could jump out at you at any moment. I have been flashed and had people on my bumper in 30mph limits, but that's an indication of the person behind me, and not me.
Even on motorways, I will tend to put my car at 70 and stick to it. I'll be honest, I get overtaken more than I overtake, but whilst my car can do well over the National Speed Limit in comfort, I am also aware that even 10mph over the limit feels a fair bit faster.
I often find as well that the more people are over the speed limit, the more aggressive their driving technique.
I do a fair bit of motorway driving, and I often wonder what happened to the much publicised clamping down on middle lane hoggers. Nothing seems to have happened on that and, IMHO, they do constitute a danger.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly the same for me!

Surely braking distance is not a constant but is driven by a number of factors. Size of brakes, size and number of pistons, distribution of force across the disc, temperature of disc and ability to dissipate said heat, control systems and distribution of braking relative to grip.

I'm pretty sure my car will stop from 80 in a shorter space than my neighbour's people carrier.

I'm not saying that to justify travelling at speed BTW but merely to highlight that its not a simple argument based purely on a "static" braking distance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Have you been watching my sister driving? Mind you 50 mph would be speeding for her.
What I hate the most of these type of drivers is them joining the motorway at 30 MPH.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It is, but by giving in to these things we are just creating loopholes for racers to expose.

Btw, in Germany breaking distances are calculated a little different as well. I can’t remember exactly how it was different, but the numbers where a few percent out from each other. I think the importance is that it’s consistent in the license granting authority, rather than being 40 or 43 meters in the formula.

Talking of Germany, our cars go 250 km/h max. It’s an agreement between Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, BMW, … not sure if VW or Opel go that fast. It’s the Italian cars that really speed excessively on the Autobahn, and not the Fiats ;-)

Fastest I ever went was 200 km/h in a Ford Sierra with a healthy amount of assistance from gravity. I don’t think I have to repeat that.
Recommend speed is 130 km/h. Roughly 80 miles. Most common speed limit is 120 km/h, about 75 miles.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely braking distance is not a constant but is driven by a number of factors. Size of brakes, size and number of pistons, distribution of force across the disc, temperature of disc and ability to dissipate said heat, control systems and distribution of braking relative to grip.

I'm pretty sure my car will stop from 80 in a shorter space than my neighbour's people carrier.

I'm not saying that to justify travelling at speed BTW but merely to highlight that its not a simple argument based purely on a "static" braking distance.

Always thought these figures were done on an average and a lot of the laws / rules are to protect people from the average

Like some cars can stop faster, some drivers can handle speed a lot better etc but for safety the law is this for people to cater for average