40 mph sign Pranksters

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone see this in the Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/roa...signs.html

40 mph signs were erected on the A360 in the Rotherham area and a number of motorists have been shot with speeding fines as it is a 30mph zone !!

So far the Police and Council have not backed down on the basis it was a 30 zone. Tough luck if you were a visitor and were using the signs to adjust your speed - I'd be livid.

Of course we have the old rule that if the street lights are within a certain distance (can't remember what it is) they define a built-up area and thus 30 mph is the limit.

Based on that rule nearly every roundabout with overhead lighting is a 30mph zone !!!

Of course, none of this will worry this Forum's law abiding members.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Cant see the link!! I agree though that if I was nicked on the basis of a bogus sign I wouldn't be happy and would be contesting it and asking what they are doing about arresting the pranksters

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
On my dad's estate it is 20mph all over, and the police have been out with speed guns enforcing it. 20mph is ridiculously slow, it's not even past a school, nor any crossings.

Same on my estate, 20mph all over, no schools, no crossings, wide open road, pure stupidity.

I think the signs were put up because the council had spare cash in the budget and didn't want to lose what they didn't spend.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The signs look official, confirmed by the Council, so I can't see how the tickets will stand up if challenged.
One of the basics of driving is to use signs to determine speed and direction
If they are maliciously placed what alternative do you have..? If they had been National Limit signs nobody would go 30 along that stretch.
I would expect the tickets to be rescinded...

D

Deleted member 15344

The signs look official, confirmed by the Council, so I can't see how the tickets will stand up if challenged.
If they are maliciously placed what alternative do you have..? If they had been National Limit signs nobody would go 30 along that stretch.

If signs on the road contradict the lampost law and spacing then which one takes precedent ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cant see the link!! I agree though that if I was nicked on the basis of a bogus sign I wouldn't be happy and would be contesting it and asking what they are doing about arresting the pranksters

The 'link' is that 30 mph applies when street lights are less than 200metres apart and on most roundabouts this would be the case. In 2012 they also relaxed the rule that a 30 zone needed to have repeater signs at regular intervals.

Which altogether makes it a bit of a lottery which is why I use a GPS speed limit and camera location warning device.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree especially when one of those convicted was a fellow instructor like your good self. I suspect once the prosecutions start and the bad publicity starts the council and police will back down

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If signs on the road contradict the lampost law and spacing then which one takes precedent ?

The basic rule is that if there are street lights the default speed limit is 30 UNLESS there are signs telling you differently.
So in this case, the lights could have been 2 feet apart, the signs overrule..

Nobody can know, especially if they are driving that road for the first time, if signs are malicious or not..
That's why the tickets will almost certainly be overturned

D

Deleted member 15344

The basic rule is that if there are street lights the default speed limit is 30 UNLESS there are signs telling you differently.
So in this case, the lights could have been 2 feet apart, the signs overrule..

Nobody can know, especially if they are driving that road for the first time, if signs are malicious or not..
That's why the tickets will almost certainly be overturned

Cheers for the info :thup:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
On my dad's estate it is 20mph all over, and the police have been out with speed guns enforcing it. 20mph is ridiculously slow, it's not even past a school, nor any crossings.

Same on my estate, 20mph all over, no schools, no crossings, wide open road, pure stupidity.

I think the signs were put up because the council had spare cash in the budget and didn't want to lose what they didn't spend.

They shouldn't be, if the limit has been correctly researched, designed & implemented it should be self-enforcing.