Speed Limiting Cars

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Coming back from Scotland on Sunday, I was in the outside lane on the M74 and noticed a guy in hi vis looking at the cable barrier between both highways. There was about 20-30 yards of it had been wiped out. About 1/2 a mile down the rd 2 x 4 x 4s we’re on the hard shoulder on of them was smashed to high heaven all down the drivers side.
How that happens on an open rd, one can only assume. I know speeding kills but for me phones are as big a problem now.

D-S

Visit site
Is there a rationale to having cars that actually are capable of exceeding speed limits if the technology exists to restrict them?

Mandofred

Visit site
Nothing to do with nanny state or offending somebody!!

An 8 month old baby and his auntie killed by a drunk driver, it’s simply common decency. Nothing funny about it.
Nope, nothing funny about a person dying. A comment about driving way too fast (not serious) through town.....a bit funny. I can separate the stupidity. You are offended where no offense was meant. I doubt a view different from yours is acceptable though.....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coming back from Scotland on Sunday, I was in the outside lane on the M74 and noticed a guy in hi vis looking at the cable barrier between both highways. There was about 20-30 yards of it had been wiped out. About 1/2 a mile down the rd 2 x 4 x 4s we’re on the hard shoulder on of them was smashed to high heaven all down the drivers side.
How that happens on an open rd, one can only assume. I know speeding kills but for me phones are as big a problem now.
I think there a massive problem and have been for a long time!

You can speed and keep your eyes on the road.
But you can’t text and keep your eyes on the road.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Nope, nothing funny about a person dying. A comment about driving way too fast (not serious) through town.....a bit funny. I can separate the stupidity. You are offended where no offense was meant.
Please stop telling me I’m offended, you don’t know me and have no idea what actually offends me.

Trying to make jokes in anyway, shape or form on this thread is pathetic and unwarranted.

Mandofred

Visit site
Please stop telling me I’m offended, you don’t know me and have no idea what actually offends me.

Trying to make jokes in anyway, shape or form on this thread is pathetic and unwarranted.
In your opinion. I will continue to live outside of what you consider ok. Luckily.....it's still legal.

PaulMdj

Visit site
In your opinion. I will continue to live outside of what you consider ok. Luckily.....it's still legal.
Thankfully I have morals and making immature statements when discussing 2 innocent people being killed will never be funny.

Mandofred

Visit site
Thankfully I have morals and making immature statements when discussing 2 innocent people being killed will never be funny.
Fair enough..... Although now even though you don't know me you are making decisions about MY morality. Hmmmmm..... Hypocrite a bit? I need to fit in with what YOU consider moral? Nope. Not going to happen. You are looking to be offended...where there was no offense meant. I said it before....I'm saying it again. Peace.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Fair enough..... Although now even though you don't know me you are making decisions about MY morality. Hmmmmm..... Hypocrite a bit? I need to fit in with what YOU consider moral? Nope. Not going to happen. You are looking to be offended...where there was no offense meant. I said it before....I'm saying it again. Peace.
How is it aimed at you? Did you make the original post? No you didn’t! Yet you say I’m looking to be offended!

The initial post was sick and badly timed in my opinion.

I’m fully aware of were my moral compass sits.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not read four pages, But limiting the speed of cars is only solving part of the problem. The guy that nearly drove the wrong way down a one way ring rd yesterday, ouple of killed someone. He instead drove down a bus lane. People that do not know how and when to pull out at a roundabout. When I take the grandkids to school. The drivers doing 30 on open rds when it is a 50.
The list is endless.
Speeding kills but there are a lot of bloody idiots who have passed there tests that are just as bad.
Pet hate of mine. Reading has a lot of bus lanes and often get idiots hurtling down them to get to the front of a queue. Fortunately the majority now have cameras and so fines get issued but doesn't seem to stop it happening

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pet hate of mine. Reading has a lot of bus lanes and often get idiots hurtling down them to get to the front of a queue. Fortunately the majority now have cameras and so fines get issued but doesn't seem to stop it happening
The only I can say is that not all bus lanes are 24hr, and all to many don’t read the signs saying what times they apply.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My irritation is with drivers who do not read the signs telling you the hours of operation and then drive in the 'outside ' lane at a speed well below the speed limit. Most notable place I see this is in Slough with the road out to the M4.

D

Deleted member 29109

Speed limiting cars is all well and good, until you need to break the speed limit.

I accept it’s extremely rare, but if you ever need to get someone to hospital in an emergency owning a quick car that doesn’t have a limited speed is quite useful.

As are the ambulance only spaces outside the main entrance 😉

Mandofred

Visit site
If I read an article correctly....the version of speed limitation is something that you can ignore if you want (maybe like lane assist?). I think the article stated that it did something (vibrate?) to try to get you to slow down, but you could still re-stomp on the gas pedal to go-go-go. For me it would be when I occasionally pass someone on the way to the golf course....to get around them quickly I need to break the speed limit for a few seconds. I drive a Suzuki Ignis....I don't pass very many people.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
If I read an article correctly....the version of speed limitation is something that you can ignore if you want (maybe like lane assist?). I think the article stated that it did something (vibrate?) to try to get you to slow down, but you could still re-stomp on the gas pedal to go-go-go. For me it would be when I occasionally pass someone on the way to the golf course....to get around them quickly I need to break the speed limit for a few seconds. I drive a Suzuki Ignis....I don't pass very many people.

My car has it and there's essentially an override button when the accelerator is fully pressed.

The issue with my car is that when I'm going down country lanes (fairly common around here) its cameras often pickup the speed limit from the signs at the entrance of other lanes - particularly where the road I'm on turns but there is a junction to go straight ahead. This can be a bit disconcerting when you're on a 50 mph limit road and the limiter suddenly drops to 30mph and the car starts slowing down.

As others have said it is really handy when driving through unfamiliar areas.

Mandofred

Visit site
My car has it and there's essentially an override button when the accelerator is fully pressed.

The issue with my car is that when I'm going down country lanes (fairly common around here) its cameras often pickup the speed limit from the signs at the entrance of other lanes - particularly where the road I'm on turns but there is a junction to go straight ahead. This can be a bit disconcerting when you're on a 50 mph limit road and the limiter suddenly drops to 30mph and the car starts slowing down.

As others have said it is really handy when driving through unfamiliar areas.
I thought it was just GPS controlled.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I thought it was just GPS controlled.

I imagine the newer ones are - mines 8 years old and uses some sort of camera or sensor where the rear view mirror is.

A combination of the two would probably be best as the GPS limiter may not pick up temporary speed limits around roadworks etc.