Speed Limiting Cars

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Isn't this just use the highway code? If there is street lights with no repeater speed limits on them its 30 (apart from motorway)
It's not that simple, some roads have 40 limits or even 50 where there are street lights, even on roads that have no street lights you cannot assume the national speed limits apply.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not that simple, some roads have 40 limits or even 50 where there are street lights, even on roads that have no street lights you cannot assume the national speed limits apply.

If they don't have repeaters on the street lights. It's 30

You will notice a repeater every 5 street light or so..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dashboard has the speed limit displayed so I can see at a glance

View attachment 54149

Mine does aswell, sometimes it picks up the incorrect limit (as it reads from a camera so sometimes it picks up the side roads 30 mph limit or back or a lorry 50 limit but soon corrects when it goes past another repeater) android auto has the speed limits on aswell which is pretty accurate, they changed one limit on the 406 from 50 to 40 recently took a week but it's updated now

Helpful to glance at

So deal with the idiots, don’t just bring in a blanket rule

Blanket rules seem to be the only rules that work. Like drink driving limits. Some people cope better with drink than others but their is a blanket law.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was driving.
I'd have to be a complete moron to take out my camera/phone, turn it on and take a picture while arguing about safe driving.
And the fact you felt the need to ask, probably means you think I am that moron. 🤬
😀 Oh dear, feeling a bit liverish today are you?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that you have to use the last speed limit sign you see. I agree this won't work in all circumstances but this came from when they reduced a road local to me from 40mph to 30mph.

I did a speed awareness course a few weeks back, iirc if there are lamp posts on the street it is 30mph unless repeater signs are showing otherwise.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that you have to use the last speed limit sign you see. I agree this won't work in all circumstances but this came from when they reduced a road local to me from 40mph to 30mph.
I have a speed limiter camera in my car but in many places when you exit a road at a junction onto another it shows a sign with a row of dots that indicate it doesn't know what the limit is.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve no issue with cars being limited, but as you say this was also a drunk driver who was taking pictures of his speedometer seconds before.

I’m not sure the outcome would of been no different at 50mph, The baby and his Aunt may of had a chance of survival, the poor baby was thrown across 6 lanes of traffic in his car seat and was found in the grass verge on the opposite side of the road. The speed of the collision has caused that.
My apologies, I for some reason was under the impression they were pedestrians.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a speed limiter camera in my car but in many places when you exit a road at a junction onto another it shows a sign with a row of dots that indicate it doesn't know what the limit is.
I also have a camera in my car but it's a dash cam.
Really handy if something happens because you can download the clip and take snapshots off it without taking the picture yourself

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
some of our work Electric Pool cars have a sort of limiter for low speeds, when you go into a 20 zone it drops to that, same with 30. ive not tried the new ones on any longer journey where the speed is higher

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nobody has really mentioned the phone he was on.!!

At that speed you can’t take your eyes off the road for even a second. (Especially when drunk)

I think some sort of coil in the headliner over the drivers head to block phone signal to them but not to passengers.
Won’t stop the speed but it will take phones out of drivers hands and make them use Bluetooth.

The sentence is to lenient as well imo he should get 25 yrs for manslaughter.
I would throw the key away ,there’s just no excuse.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Company vehicles in Germany are fitted with interlocks. As you get into the car you breathe into a tube/breathalyser. If it detects too much alcohol it locks out the car from starting for a period of time. Why can’t every car have an interlock?
Does it detect drugs too?