Speed Limiting Cars

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did a speed awareness course a few weeks back, iirc if there are lamp posts on the street it is 30mph unless repeater signs are showing otherwise.
Was that as a result of a speeding incident?
My understanding, from the highway code, that was that all roads with street lighting were 30 mph unless signs told you otherwise. That was the case in 1983 when I passed my test.
To those opposed to 20mph limits, we have it in all towns in East Lothian. Great idea. Most people drive under 25mph rather than the 35mph that used to be the norm.
On holiday in Warkworth just now, cars drive far too quickly through this wee village.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was that as a result of a speeding incident?
My understanding, from the highway code, that was that all roads with street lighting were 30 mph unless signs told you otherwise. That was the case in 1983 when I passed my test.
To those opposed to 20mph limits, we have it in all towns in East Lothian. Great idea. Most people drive under 25mph rather than the 35mph that used to be the norm.
On holiday in Warkworth just now, cars drive far too quickly through this wee village.

When I was 19 I got 3 points for speeding around a city that majority roads are 40 mph. I was doing 35 in a road I thought was 30. Got 3 points and a fine. Was ranting to my friend about it he firmly reminded me of the highway code street light rule. Have never forgot it since

Touch wood I'm 37 now and I've had 2 speed awareness courses since. It happens , tbh the limiter would have helped , as someone else said didn't even notice I was speeding. I was following an ambulance (just going along) saw the policeman with his camera and looked down. I was doing 40 in a 30. Didn't feel it. Deserved ticket.

I Prefer driving the niro now the heads up display puts my speed on the windscreen so I can see it without even looking down .

Anything that helps , even has the limit next to my speed

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My car has a speed exceeded warning over the Speedo.
No alarm it goes off after three seconds.
You can disable it if you want to.
Good bit of kit.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been saying for years that with the tech available that cars should be able to be restricted to the speed limits. Then we can ditch the bluddy cameras and their evil money making.

D-S

Visit site
I've been saying for years that with the tech available that cars should be able to be restricted to the speed limits. Then we can ditch the bluddy cameras and their evil money making.
It would be good to know if doing this might actually speed up traffic overall without the 'concertina effect' on motorways and the excessive braking needed when people move from one limit to another.

Has this actually been done anywhere?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It would be good to know if doing this might actually speed up traffic overall without the 'concertina effect' on motorways and the excessive braking needed when people move from one limit to another.

Has this actually been done anywhere?
Smart motorways..
Disregarding the safety side, if people stick to the limits shown then, in general, traffic will flow better.
Limits are set to slow traffic down so it takes longer to get to the pinch point thereby giving time e for that pinch point to clear
There's always exceptions like sheer weight of traffic but they do work.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smart motorways..
Disregarding the safety side, if people stick to the limits shown then, in general, traffic will flow better.
Limits are set to slow traffic down so it takes longer to get to the pinch point thereby giving time e for that pinch point to clear
There's always exceptions like sheer weight of traffic but they do work.
It's why 50 and 60mph stretches on certain motorways at specific points are used. They work. We have a couple up here, were temporary, became permanent. I'm happy keep them as they are as long as the traffic keeps flowing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's why 50 and 60mph stretches on certain motorways at specific points are used. They work. We have a couple up here, were temporary, became permanent. I'm happy keep them as they are as long as the traffic keeps flowing.

Love the average speed section of My drive to work 95% of people obey it

Set the cruise to 50 mph and let the car follow the car in front at the set distance

Flows a lot better than people booting it down the outside then in and out of traffic when they don't get what they want

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drive to the airport this morning was busy down the M40. I am amazed how many trucks have a different version of 60.. I don’t like people who get in the fast lane and subject everyone to their limits nor do I like the people who bully their way through..
Frankly speaking most people don’t know how to drive, their speed is just an added extra ..
will it get better? No because they are too dependent on systems.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not read four pages, But limiting the speed of cars is only solving part of the problem. The guy that nearly drove the wrong way down a one way ring rd yesterday, ouple of killed someone. He instead drove down a bus lane. People that do not know how and when to pull out at a roundabout. When I take the grandkids to school. The drivers doing 30 on open rds when it is a 50.
The list is endless.
Speeding kills but there are a lot of bloody idiots who have passed there tests that are just as bad.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I’m not sure what great sounding motorway you were driving on but in my experience barely anyone uses the inside lane these days 🤦🏻
Take the M1 near Mansfield/Nottingham, 4 lanes so you’d expect trouble free driving. Not a chance as all those who usually sit in the middle lane just migrate to the 3rd lane.
Anyway back on topic, I expect some form of automated vehicle speed control in the not too distant future.
And these are the flippin idiots I am on about. Smart motorways used by planks.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Iffy...but a little bit funny. I'm really against nanny-state rules where you can't be "funny"..just in case you offend somebody.
Nothing to do with nanny state or offending somebody!!

An 8 month old baby and his auntie killed by a drunk driver, it’s simply common decency. Nothing funny about it.