Recommend an SUV for a golfer

sunshine

Visit site
Once you have driven an automatic you wont want to go back. It makes driving so much easier, particularly if you get caught in traffic. Welcome to an easier life (y):D

I had an automatic courtesy car last week (X2), first time for me. It had the paddle gear shifters on the steering wheel. Does anybody use them? What are they for?

RichA

Visit site
I have flappy paddles in both my Golf R and 5-Series. I have used them in both, just because they're there, but I'd rather let the auto box change gear itself.
I see them as just being part of the sporty package, like big alloys or a spoiler, rather than something actually useful for everyday driving. Like @GreiginFife said, fun innit.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have flappy paddles in both my Golf R and 5-Series. I have used them in both, just because they're there, but I'd rather let the auto box change gear itself.
I see them as just being part of the sporty package, like big alloys or a spoiler, rather than something actually useful for everyday driving. Like @GreiginFife said, fun innit.

I’d imagine your Golf R is much like my M340. A downshift with the paddle that the auto wasn’t expecting produces some nice overrun crackle. Hooligan mode - activated 😁

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I use them for holding a gear in preparation for overtaking slow moving Fiestas 😆

RichA

Visit site
I’d imagine your Golf R is much like my M340. A downshift with the paddle that the auto wasn’t expecting produces some nice overrun crackle. Hooligan mode - activated 😁
I discovered early that it wasn't really necessary. In Race Mode, the revs rarely seem to drop below about 4000, it anticipates really well and the kickdown is quicker than I could pull the paddle. The crackle in the Golf R is produced artificially anyway, I think.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I discovered early that it wasn't really necessary. In Race Mode, the revs rarely seem to drop below about 4000, it anticipates really well and the kickdown is quicker than I could pull the paddle. The crackle in the Golf R is produced artificially anyway, I think.

Is it really? I didn't know that. I changed out the stock turbo on the 340 for a Pure 800 and pushed it up to around the 500BHP mark peak and it totally changed the dynamic between the engine, gears and exhaust system.

Do VW still use dual clutch systems or are they using torque converters?

RichA

Visit site
Is it really? I didn't know that. I changed out the stock turbo on the 340 for a Pure 800 and pushed it up to around the 500BHP mark peak and it totally changed the dynamic between the engine, gears and exhaust system.

Do VW still use dual clutch systems or are they using torque converters?
Not sure about the newer ones. My 2016 Golf is the DSG dual-clutch box. I think there's something that sprays water onto a hot bit of the exhaust to exaggerate the crackle and it's also electronically synthesised in the cabin. A bit silly really, but it's just a good fun, fast hot hatch.
I think Ford did the water spray thing in the Focus RS too.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure about the newer ones. My 2016 Golf is the DSG dual-clutch box. I think there's something that sprays water onto a hot bit of the exhaust to exaggerate the crackle and it's also electronically synthesised in the cabin. A bit silly really, but it's just a good fun, fast hot hatch.
I think Ford did the water spray thing in the Focus RS too.

I did test drive the Golf R before going for the 340. Lovely drive and, as you say, loads of fun. I just prefer larger bodied cars and the extra power in the 340 with xDrive clinched it.

The 840, on the other hand... maybe a bit too large (at 5.02m long it;s a bit of a beast) and rear wheel drive taking 400HP isn't a great combo when it's, as Clarkson used to say, mildly moist!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had an automatic courtesy car last week (X2), first time for me. It had the paddle gear shifters on the steering wheel. Does anybody use them? What are they for?
Alfa used to have that on cars 20 years ago, had them only GTV, but tbh I could never get used to it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there needs to be a little clarification of what constitutes an SUV. In my mind it is the US sized cars, the Audi Q5, BMW X5 etc. The OP is getting a Tiguan, a raised up Golf. There is a difference between a fully blown, highly polluting SUV and a higher positioned car such as this, a Qashqai and so on.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Do VW still use dual clutch systems or are they using torque converters
?
VW group haven't used torque converters for a long time now, with all their auto boxes being DSG, either dry clutch or wet clutch for the more torquey engines.
They are wonderful devices:)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We have a Toyota CHR and clubs with a CT 6 Powakaddy trolley fit well with no need to take Driver or woods out and it is certainly at the smaller end of the SUV spectrum.
This for me. Had a CHR for work and I could fit my bag in without taking the driver out and get my wife Stewart trolley in