Recommend an SUV for a golfer

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Currently got an Audi Q2 but am fed up having to fold the back seats down every time I put my clubs in the car.

I had a Passat estate before that which was great for boot size, but the missus wanted something smaller so she could drive it. 2 years on, she has probably driven the Q2 half a dozen times, so that was a bit of a waste of time and money.

Is there an SUV which will take a cart bag and trolley without having to mess about with the seats? I don't want to go for an absolute tank, if that's the only option, I may have to go back to an estate.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't say for a fact but I would check out the Skoda range, Pulman dealer just off the A19 near the club. The Superb and Octavia can both take clubs + trolleys without dropping seats so no reason why the SUV range can't either.

People always talk about Honda's as being capable of taking clubs as part of their design, CRV and HRV. Again, can't say from personal experience.

D-S

Visit site
We have a Toyota CHR and clubs with a CT 6 Powakaddy trolley fit well with no need to take Driver or woods out and it is certainly at the smaller end of the SUV spectrum.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Ford S-Max - not quite SUV but a decent looking MPV with a frankly cavernous boot. I had 3 trolleys and 3 bags in the other week. I reckon it'd take 4 if wheels were off the trolleys and we'd actually spent a bit of time arranging it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I can't say for a fact but I would check out the Skoda range, Pulman dealer just off the A19 near the club. The Superb and Octavia can both take clubs + trolleys without dropping seats so no reason why the SUV range can't either.

People always talk about Honda's as being capable of taking clubs as part of their design, CRV and HRV. Again, can't say from personal experience.
Another one for the Skoda here. Generally on a model by model basis, they tend to have bigger boot space than the competition. I have the Superb and their boot is very generous. The Octavia is the same as well. One point to note is that battery or hybrid vehicles sometimes have a shallower boot so that does impact on the space available. My Superb iV, for example, has a shallower boot than the ICE model.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My neighbour has just got the new VW T-Cross. I saw him toss everything in as he went to play on Saturday. He didn't seem to take his driver out of the bag.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another in the Skoda camp. If it's definitely an SUV you want, I now have a Kodiak which takes my clubs & trolley easy-peasy. If you keep the driver in the bag, they have to go in the boot at an angle, but that's no problem at all if its only a couple of set of clubs. To get them in 'straight' with the driver in the bag you need to push the rear seat a bit forwards. But I was much happier with my Superb hatchback - both in terms of clubs/trolley, and driving. Much the better of the two. And it comes as an estate if you want more luggage space and/or the boot lip is a problem.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Another one with a Skoda here. The Skoda Rapid saloon version. (The "Spaceback" has a smaller boot) My boot is bigger than my mate's Mondeo.

If you are looking for the smallest car (or shortest overall length) with the largest boot, then I don't think this can be beaten

c3 picasso boot.jpg

and when the seats are folded down truly enormous.
Citroen C3 Picasso.

But just not expensive enough to satisfy a lot of people.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Got a Volvo XC40 , despite its size have to take the driver out but a bag will just fit across the opening ,trolley behind .
A bit disappointing size wise but other than that a great car .

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I've got a 67 plate Seat Leon hatch-back and can fit my clubs, Motocaddy trolley, battery and shoes all in the boot if I take out the longer clubs and lay them across the top, hardly a hassle.
No need for an SUV.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Land Rover Discovery, absolutely superb machines.
If you do any trips away or pick up any of your pals, you will get 3 sets of clubs and trolleys in the back.
Fuel wise it is decent on long distances but a bit of a guzzler going round the town.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Non SUV, my Mazda 3 takes the cart bag with all clubs in (inc driver) and the remote eleccy Motocaddy trolley in, parcel shelf in place and rear seats still up.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got a 67 plate Seat Leon hatch-back and can fit my clubs, Motocaddy trolley, battery and shoes all in the boot if I take out the longer clubs and lay them across the top, hardly a hassle.
No need for an SUV.
Higher seating position is a big positive for many. Most being talked about are not big boy SUVs, they are small to medium sized cars a bit higher off the ground 😄