Drink Driving - is it a golf problem?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’d imagine there’s a higher percentage of drink drivers leaving golf clubs than the average for pubs and bars etc. Location and the logistics of moving golf equipment make taxis impractical - as already mentioned. It’s not specificallly a golf problem but golf clubs will undoubtedly be drink driving hot spots, so, let’s not shirk our responsibilities and instead acknowledge that it is something that needs improvement.
Where the responsibility lies, I’m not sure. I know people that seem to put a few beers away and drive home - is it up to me to speak to them, or the golf club to operate a policy, or even the governing bodies within the game?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d imagine there’s a higher percentage of drink drivers leaving golf clubs than the average for pubs and bars etc. Location and the logistics of moving golf equipment make taxis impractical - as already mentioned. It’s not specificallly a golf problem but golf clubs will undoubtedly be drink driving hot spots, so, let’s not shirk our responsibilities and instead acknowledge that it is something that needs improvement.
Where the responsibility lies, I’m not sure. I know people that seem to put a few beers away and drive home - is it up to me to speak to them, or the golf club to operate a policy, or even the governing bodies within the game?

I would look at it from the other angle and say, where practical, clubs should do more in the way of providing secure club and trolley storage to to may use of public transport, taxis, lift sharing etc a more practical option.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would look at it from the other angle and say, where practical, clubs should do more in the way of providing secure club and trolley storage to to may use of public transport, taxis, lift sharing etc a more practical option.

It’s not up to the golf clubs or governing bodies to put measures in place for drink driving

Just like it’s not up to football clubs , rugby , cricket , pubs , restaurants , stadiums , theatres or in fact any establishment that serves alcohol

The responsibility as always sits with the individual. People are grown adults who know what’s right and wrong - it’s up to that individual to make the right choice , if they make the wrong one then they live with the consequences.

We have members who hand their keys in over the bar and we have members who have been caught drink driving and have been banned - but that’s the same in all walks of life

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Yep, that would help for sure.
But that would be another expense for the club, they may not even have room to offer trolley storage as well as a generous number of lockers.
We have to really keep the spotlight of responsibility shining on the individuals.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s not up to the golf clubs or governing bodies to put measures in place for drink driving

Just like it’s not up to football clubs , rugby , cricket , pubs , restaurants , stadiums , theatres or in fact any establishment that serves alcohol

The responsibility as always sits with the individual. People are grown adults who know what’s right and wrong - it’s up to that individual to make the right choice , if they make the wrong one then they live with the consequences.

We have members who hand their keys in over the bar and we have members who have been caught drink driving and have been banned - but that’s the same in all walks of life

That is true. Golf is different in that the equipment required takes more effort to move. In my rugby days I would walk, cycle, get a lift with 4 other people in a small hatchback etc. None of these are practical with golf clubs and a trolley. So, whilst the individual is always the one at fault, taking away excuses is another option. You could fund it by instead of charging for lockers, charge for parking then you may also reduce the amount of club traffic and even have a positive environmental impact.

D

Deleted member 15344

That is true. Golf is different in that the equipment required takes more effort to move. In my rugby days I would walk, cycle, get a lift with 4 other people in a small hatchback etc. None of these are practical with golf clubs and a trolley. So, whilst the individual is always the one at fault, taking away excuses is another option. You could fund it by instead of charging for lockers, charge for parking then you may also reduce the amount of club traffic and even have a positive environmental impact.

Most clubs have locker rooms - just put your clubs in there. Put if someone has to drive because of his kit and need to take it home then it’s simple - don’t drink 🤷‍♂️ , it’s not a hard choice , it’s not as if alcohol after a round is compulsory, i can manage it fine.

Having to carry clubs and trolleys etc - it’s excuses really tbh

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most clubs have locker rooms - just put your clubs in there. Put if someone has to drive because of his kit and need to take it home then it’s simple - don’t drink 🤷‍♂️ , it’s not a hard choice , it’s not as if alcohol after a round is compulsory, i can manage it fine.

Having to carry clubs and trolleys etc - it’s excuses really tbh

Most clubs I have been to have a very limited number of lockers and storage areas. By having more, you are removing excuses and also making it easier for members in general.

I am not arguing that it is not the individual's problem. I am not arguing that alcohol is not compulsory, to be fair I do not like most clubhouses I have been in and would rather go home or take people to my local pub and I never drink if I am getting in a car but people do. Yes, having to transport equipment is an excuse but you would be surprised on how many people who do feel a round of golf requires a drink afterwards cling on to any excuse to try and falsely justify their actions.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wonder if some of it is a generational thing. A lot of golfers are shall we say, of a certain age...50 and upwards, who grew up in a time where perhaps drink driving wasn't so socially reprehensible as it is now. Subsequently they still have attitudes that are a hangover from a bygone age and see little wrong with having 3 or 4 pints after their round of golf. Not meaning to tar everyone with this brush...just offering up a suggestion as to why it may be seemingly a golf related issue.

As an aside....several years ago our club hosted a society day for a local police force....there was certainly no shortage of people getting in cars having consumed a goodly amount of alcohol afterwards.

I agree with it being a generational thing, the older folks grew up in a time when socially it was far more acceptable to go down the pub, have an evening then drive yourself home. I think it's an issue in both golf and cricket to be honest. When I was younger I played for my uncle's side, it was a Sunday side who had known each other since their youth and after a came it was common for thereto be a good couple of hours drinking before the clubhouse was locked up. On one occasion my uncle drove us home and wanted to take the scenic route to avoid the roads where the chances of running into the police were higher. After 40 minutes of driving down dark country rounds in Surrey we popped out 100 yards further down the road from the turning we'd taken! Anyway, in contract I played in league cricket on a Saturday with ages ranging from 18 to 50 ish and none of those who drove would have any more than a pint and in most cases it was soft drinks only.