Drink Driving - is it a golf problem?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Simple question. I would say yes, it does seem to be more of an issue with golf than many other hobbies/events.

I think part of the reason is practicality. If you go to the football, rugby, music, etc, then you can often take public transport, or car share and have a designated driver. This often isn't possible when playing golf. And if you're having a few pints at your local, most people can just walk there and back, which again, isn't often feasible with golf. This is not an excuse, but I'm just trying to logically find a reason why it is (IMO) more of an issue with golf.

I also think that golf clubs are so desperate for cash, they'll never do anything to discourage it.

I would say the attitude from some of the members at my old place was pretty poor. Knocking back several pints and then saying it was ok because their drive home was only 10 minutes... One bloke was a taxi driver and he didn't clock at all that his job would be gone if he got caught, or he didn't care.

Is this just some sort of open secret about golf that we conveniently don't talk about?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I would say it's more a location thing. I grew up in a small village in the countryside and one of the busiest pubs near me is in the middle of nowhere. The amount of times I've been in there and seen blokes propping the bar up for several hours before jumping in their cars and driving home is horrendous.

Five and Drive seems to be the unwritten mantra around there.

To be fair, due to it's location there never seems to be too many in our clubhouse of an evening and the ones that are there I've always assumed live within walking distance.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I used to work with a guy who said "who are the police to tell me I can't drive safely after 4 pints" - and yes, he also played golf.

I'll have one pint, and very occasionally two if I'm at the club post round for a long period of time. That wouldn't be a strong lager though, usually if I have one pint of the good stuff I know that a 2nd would definitely affect my ability to drive safely, so I'd stop at 1 and either go home or get a soft drink.

It's a shame Radler isn't commonly available here direct from the pump, it's the perfect after round drink for quenching your thirst without having a strong abv%

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not golf specifically, but if you have 500 plus members your going to get some arrogant ones who think the law dosnt apply to them.

But as has been said “ you need to transport your clubs.”

one problem is if you play with a stranger ( or anyone really) if they buy you a drink it’s sort of expected that you get them one back.
in a three or fourball that can be a problem to say no But shouldnt be.

I always say “I will buy the first one!” If they offer another just have a half or say “ no”

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes. But only reflecting levels of entitlement and selfishness present in society as a whole. There are plenty of half decent zero or <0.5% beers out there these days if someone wants to be seen to be drinking beer rather than a coke or other soft drink, and it is up to the club to ensure it stocks one or two (my place stocks three).

There are also good draught zero/<0.5% beers out there but pubs generally don’t stock it as turnover is too low. I think that will change and such as golf clubs could take a lead given they are often off the beaten track and with all our gear we really have to drive (though we could be driven) to them.

Last edited:

JayB

Visit site
Yes it is a problem and I often wondered why the police don't position themselves close to golf clubs to pick up a few.

I've seen a number of people drive who shouldn't but the worst was a guy earlier this year who to avoid me and my dog in the car park managed to scrape the entire left side of his car down a wall with absolutely no reaction or change of expression on his face. I imagine the first he knew about the damage was probably the next day.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If I think about I don’t particularly think it is. I see no more evidence of this than I would in any bar. You get more people boozing it up in societies but most are stay and play or mini bussing it back to hotels. What I’ve never gotten is the need to drink during a round of golf. I love a nice cold beer after a round of golf but I’ve seen lads knock back several cans on the way around and they just play rubbish. they might as well spend that green fee at the bar.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Yes it is a problem and I often wondered why the police don't position themselves close to golf clubs to pick up a few.
Yep. My guess is that it is a lot of paperwork and hassle, and no financial incoming versus the very easy SP30...

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I would say it's more a location thing. I grew up in a small village in the countryside and one of the busiest pubs near me is in the middle of nowhere. The amount of times I've been in there and seen blokes propping the bar up for several hours before jumping in their cars and driving home is horrendous.

Five and Drive seems to be the unwritten mantra around there.
Yes, I agree with this. I worked at a place once that was right out in the sticks and we went out for dinner after work one night in a nearby village. Everyone was knocking back the beer and gin like it was Christmas Day and they were sat at home with family. Then they all got back in their cars and went home. I felt like a right boring sod with my pint of beer, followed by a lemonade :)

D

Deleted member 31467

It's hard enough hitting a fairway without a drink never mind after a few pints! o_O

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No. It's a society problem and I'm sure you'll find folk who still do this in every walk of life. Thankfully, it's miles better than it was when I started going in pubs.

I don't know anyone I play with who drives back after golf anywhere near the limit. Although at a place I played in the 90s there were several.

Are golf clubs (currently) so desperate for cash they'll serve someone who is drunk? I doubt it. You're all moaning about full memberships and the return of joining fees.

If the OP is seeing this as a major problem where they play, have you reported the culprits to the police. If not, why not?

Maybe we need a new thread. "When did self loathing become fashionable?" 😁

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I dont think so. My observation, finger in the wind, over the last 30 years is that it was a problem, but the message has gotten through, and it isnt a problem any more. The downside is the social side of golf. Our bar is far less used than it was. Mainly because people will not drink and drive as decades ago. Some go to the bar for a coffee or soft drink on a hot day. But much fewer. The culture of a norm after round going in for a pint or two or more is more or less gone. The problem has been solved through public awareness, change of attitudes.

D

Deleted member 31467

On a more serious note, a friend of mine won a major competition in Scotland and at the prizegiving bought a bottle of fizz. Offered glasses around to all there but nobody would take even a sip because of the more stringent drink driving laws in Scotland.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It must be a bigger problem in America where it seems like they all get absolutely smashed on the course and all have to get home somehow.

I've not seen too many get legless and drive but all too many will have 3 or even 4 pints and do it. Probably feel like they're fine because they had a bacon sarnie as well. Personally I always drink shandies after golf since I can happily have two of them and not be over the limit - and it feels the same to me socially as having two pints so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

I find it weird when we're talking about hole in ones and buying drinks and someone always says you can just put a bottle of whiskey on the bar - so everyone who's already had two pints can top it off with a measure of whiskey before driving home?? Wouldn't want to be responsible for that.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
It must be a bigger problem in America where it seems like they all get absolutely smashed on the course and all have to get home somehow.

Seems much more acceptable in America. I was in louisiana for a wedding earlier this year and we went out to a bar until 4am after the wedding. Massive parking lot full of cars outside. At closing time everyone just staggered out the bar, had a scuffle with someone who had looked at them funny and then got into their cars and drove home. There was police present but they didn't seem remotely bothered.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I've seen a number of people drive who shouldn't but the worst was a guy earlier this year who to avoid me and my dog in the car park managed to scrape the entire left side of his car down a wall with absolutely no reaction or change of expression on his face. I imagine the first he knew about the damage was probably the next day.

Did you report him to the police at the time?