Drink Driving - is it a golf problem?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes for me as well. I suspect it is similar in other club situations, rugby, football etc but unquestionably too many play golf and have 2-3 pints afterwards.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I wonder if some of it is a generational thing. A lot of golfers are shall we say, of a certain age...50 and upwards, who grew up in a time where perhaps drink driving wasn't so socially reprehensible as it is now. Subsequently they still have attitudes that are a hangover from a bygone age and see little wrong with having 3 or 4 pints after their round of golf. Not meaning to tar everyone with this brush...just offering up a suggestion as to why it may be seemingly a golf related issue.

As an aside....several years ago our club hosted a society day for a local police force....there was certainly no shortage of people getting in cars having consumed a goodly amount of alcohol afterwards.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I never drink alcohol at the golf club if im driving, which is pretty much every time i play. I'm quite happy to have an orange and lemonade but content to buy a pint of beer if a playing partner wants one

Red devil

Visit site
I like a pint or two after a round I look at it as part of the pleasure. The boss sometimes picks me up but I'm fortunate to live in a town where taxis are plentiful.
I never drink and drive. Partner's brother got run over and killed by a drunk driver, I think of it if I'm ever tempted to have one when I've got the car.

Bobthesock

Visit site
I normally have 2 or 3 pints or carlsberg/ fosters as do most I play with. Won't be popular on here but I very much doubt anyone has every lost their license for having 3 weak beers.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Drink Driving is not a golf problem or any other sport in my opinion.
Drink Driving is an individual problem regardless of the setting, no one is their forcing a drink down their neck then telling them to drive home.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I normally have 2 or 3 pints or carlsberg/ fosters as do most I play with. Won't be popular on here but I very much doubt anyone has every lost their license for having 3 weak beers.
Possibly not but its not just about losing your licence...its what you could do to others.
Any alcohol impairs your ability to drive, maybe only a small amount, but it makes a difference

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps it's more that there are so few police to actually catch those drinking and drivng during the day.
I only drink at home, or sometimes if out at a do or the like in which case my wife drives.
After golf, I normally have a pot of tea for one, or occaisionally a bitter shandy.
I would ban for life anyone caught drinking and driving.

D

Deleted member 15344

2 or 3 pints put you over the legal limit and will obviously impair your judgement when driving making you dangerous - I suspect you are prob just trying to make yourself look a rebel

I would like to see the limit in England to be very close to Scotlands - as close to zero as you can get - they should be in place the fact you can not drive after any one drink of alcohol

A car in the hands of someone impaired by alcohol is one of the most dangerous weapons you can have

Lost two very good friends to drink drivers so I won’t touch a drop if I’m driving

Springveldt

Visit site
I’ll usually have 1 pint after a round and we usually also stay in the clubhouse for about an hour after the round.

Back up in Scotland it’s soft drinks only since the law is much more strict.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Possibly not but its not just about losing your licence...its what you could do to others.
Any alcohol impairs your ability to drive, maybe only a small amount, but it makes a difference
2 or 3 pints put you over the legal limit and will obviously impair your judgement when driving making you dangerous - I suspect you are prob just trying to make yourself look a rebel

I would like to see the limit in England to be very close to Scotlands - as close to zero as you can get - they should be in place the fact you can not drive after any one drink of alcohol

A car in the hands of someone impaired by alcohol is one of the most dangerous weapons you can have

Lost two very good friends to drink drivers so I won’t touch a drop if I’m driving
Everyone has different perspectives. I think that I'm a fairly big lad and regular drinker so 3 pints over 2 hours puts me no where near over the limit. If they reduce the limit I'll only have one or 2 pints.
There is always a risk with driving even without a beer. I would say I'm a better driver after 3 pints than 90 year old Harry.
Having said that I'm sorry to hear about your friends. I have also lost one who crashed when he was drunk.

D

Deleted member 15344

Everyone has different perspectives. I think that I'm a fairly big lad and regular drinker so 3 pints over 2 hours puts me no where near over the limit. If they reduce the limit I'll only have one or 2 pints.
There is always a risk with driving even without a beer. I would say I'm a better driver after 3 pints than 90 year old Harry.
Having said that I'm sorry to hear about your friends. I have also lost one who crashed when he was drunk.

So you have lost a friend who crashed whilst drunk yet continue to drive yourself whilst over the limit.

Last edited by a moderator:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everyones ability to 'burn off ' alcohol differs. I have only been breathalysed once and I was over the limit but luckily the copper let me off as the accident I had been involved in was not my fault.

I had had 2 pints of bitter with a lunch and was breathalysed 3 hours after drinking them - lesson learnt, I will never drink more than one pint if I know I am going to be driving.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you can't see the difference between being drunk and having a couple that's upto you. I'm done with this thread.
And if you can’t see that it’s not about being “drunk” it’s about being over the legal limit and even having a single pint with have some affect on peoples reactions whilst driving - having 3 pints makes you over the limit and a drink driver and after someone you know had died drink driving then surely people will rightly question your actions. Let’s hope for your sake that you don’t cause any damage