Pat Sharp axed. Have we lost the ability to take a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
But in agreement with that, if this is the worst comment/sexist joke she's ever heard then she must have been quite sheltered.

I doubt it. However, wasn't it said in front of 400 people.

Imagine the same situation if you were a man and it was said about your penis.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt it. However, wasn't it said in front of 400 people.

Imagine the same situation if you were a man and it was said about your penis.
I'd have just told them to F off, as I'd expect from most people. She definitely has every right to be offended as I said earlier. But look at some of the words she used:
"I feel sad, dirty and, frankly, violated" "I was belittled, sexualised and objectified" Just seems a bit overly emotional to me. It was really just a crap joke. If she'd have written "Pat Sharp is a total prat" instead I'd have been on board.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Whether his comments are viewed as funny or not is very subjective, but where has Pat Sharp been living for the last 20 or 30 years? In isolation in a cave? He’s in the entertainment business for pity’s sake, and must know that if you come out with comments like that, especially in front of an audience of 400 people, it is only ever going to end badly.

I’m stunned that anyone is remotely surprised that this has cost him dear.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
These are pretty much my feelings on the matter too.

To be honest, yes I do think she should have just laughed it off. Or alternatively, responded with some sort of cutting remark back at him to make him feel silly.

I really do not equate this joke to being as bad as if he’d made a racist or disabled joke under the same circumstances.

So misogyny is ok but racism isn’t?

You really expect her to make a cutting remark in front of audience of 400, and get the better of someone who has spent 40 years working crowds?

Bet you miss Benny Hill.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive never been a fan of PS.
2 views from my house
Youngest daughter (28) thought it was hilarious.
Wife(54) was suprised in the current PC times he said it.

Years ago, when Chris Evans was doing a Saturday morning show on GLR (Greater London Radio) he was doing a phone in about what gguys called their old chap.
You had the normal one eyed trouser snake etc and the like, then at the end a man rings up and says (live on radio BTW) " I call mine Pat Sharp". The studio fell about laughing, as did I and my friend I was with at the time.

D

Deleted member 25172

Ive never been a fan of PS.
2 views from my house
Youngest daughter (28) thought it was hilarious.
Wife(54) was suprised in the current PC times he said it.

Years ago, when Chris Evans was doing a Saturday morning show on GLR (Greater London Radio) he was doing a phone in about what gguys called their old chap.
You had the normal one eyed trouser snake etc and the like, then at the end a man rings up and says (live on radio BTW) " I call mine Pat Sharp". The studio fell about laughing, as did I and my friend I was with at the time.

Have you explained to your daughter what a vile misogynist she is? She clearly need to educate herself in what is funny and what is not.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So misogyny is ok but racism isn’t?

You really expect her to make a cutting remark in front of audience of 400, and get the better of someone who has spent 40 years working crowds?

Bet you miss Benny Hill

I didn’t view it as a misogynistic joke. My interpretation was that it was more of a self-deprecating one ie “I’ve got no chance with you. You’re out of my league” etc. Crap joke maybe, depending on your sense of humour.

Yeah, she could have responded easily. A simple “Sod off” or similar and he’d have looked silly.

Benny Hill was a bit before my time I’m afraid, but my kids love Yakkety Sax.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you explained to your daughter what a vile misogynist she is? She clearly need to educate herself in what is funny and what is not.
I don't need to explain anything to her. She saw it as a joke, in it's singularity.
She is also a strong willed woman and no shrinking violet when it comes to comments from anyone.

D

Deleted member 18121

I'm not sure of the context of his comment .... But almost word for word I hear that phrase used when someone is irritating you. E.g....."this fella at work, he's got right on my ..... Today "

Status
Not open for further replies.