Car Recommendations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing many overlook, is that many new cars dont come with a spare wheel, so freeing up boot space.
Fortunately mine takes my gear even with the spare wheel I got after buying the car:)

Don’t think it’s overlooked too much. Lot of people have some kind of break down service and with a flat you need it replacing most times.. mobile fitters appeared more and more.. all removing the need for a spare

I have the foam in both cars but break down cover aswell so if I get a flat they can take care of it

Gone are the days of emptying all your gear out the boot.: trying not to get hit by passing cars whilst you change a tyre

How often do you do it? I’ve had 2 flats my entire life that needed changing at side of road.. I’m 31 one when I was 25 and one when I was 13

All that excess weight carrying around and space taken up for something that doesn’t happen often

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm on a car forum and they get hysterical about the lack of a spare. I'm with PJ87 and would rather have the space but when I posted that it was the equivalent of stating custom fitting was hokum, no one should get more than a shot a hole etc on here. It was real popcorn stuff.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm on a car forum and they get hysterical about the lack of a spare. I'm with PJ87 and would rather have the space but when I posted that it was the equivalent of stating custom fitting was hokum, no one should get more than a shot a hole etc on here. It was real popcorn stuff.

One of my cars had a full alloy wheel as a spare and Jesus was it heavy. Then my bmw had no spare just foam.. after that I had a space saver and I did actually use that! But again was once. The tyre insurance that I got with the car paid for my replacement tyre

Get decent car recovery through my bank account. I’ve used them in anger.. when I got that flat when I was 25 I called them out.. in the snow. Within 40 mins I was on the way again.. give it without a spare would have been longer but these things happen

Had a flat last week on the car I was about to sell. Didn’t even think of putting the space saver on. Pumped it up to 35 using my plug in pump... drove at 20 mph 2 mins round corner to the tyre shop and spent £15 getting a repair done to the tyre

Total of 40 mins of my time.. wonder how long the spare would take 30 mins? I’d rather a pro did it

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
10 min max to change a tyre or 40+ to get someone else to do it. Space saver for me.

Foam, half way between St Petersburg and Moscow, hit pot hole, side wall split, in nephews car with foam, useless, ok for small scale punctures but ones that include side wall damage you've had it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
10 min max to change a tyre or 40+ to get someone else to do it. Space saver for me.

Foam, half way between St Petersburg and Moscow, hit pot hole, side wall split, in nephews car with foam, useless, ok for small scale punctures but ones that include side wall damage you've had it.

Are they really that important in the uk? Where there isn’t far between built up areas .. maybe down south we are spoilt more not to need them

Majority of my miles is a406 to work and back 50 mike round trip a day.. if I get a flat there I’ll get towed out the way within 20 mins to get the road moving

Russia maybe.. but it’s like the recent push for winter tyres in the uk when we have latest this long safely without em. Just don’t drive like an idiot

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My neighbours lad has an Octy vRS, and short while ago hit a pothole and took the wall out. He waited 3 hours for recovery just to get to him, and then more time to get to a tyre dealer.
Mentioned to his mum I was selling a suitable unused spare including jack and tools from my Barge, and he could have them for £20.
He jumped at the offer, and a week after that took another wall out after another pot hole. He was so thankful he had that spare.

Whether you want a spare or not, my point was that boot space is much greater if you dont have a spare/spacesaver in the boot, but not everyone is comfortable not having that situation covered.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My neighbours lad has an Octy vRS, and short while ago hit a pothole and took the wall out. He waited 3 hours for recovery just to get to him, and then more time to get to a tyre dealer.
Mentioned to his mum I was selling a suitable unused spare including jack and tools from my Barge, and he could have them for £20.
He jumped at the offer, and a week after that took another wall out after another pot hole. He was so thankful he had that spare.

Whether you want a spare or not, my point was that boot space is much greater if you dont have a spare/spacesaver in the boot, but not everyone is comfortable not having that situation covered.

Chances are if you hit a pot hole and take a wall out you should really have your car checked it’s road worthy rather than chuck a spare on and carry on driving

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spare or no spare aside Honda boots are massive

The hidden compartment is where I throw a load of junk that’s where the spare would live

You could easily fit everything in without it and keep your spare